Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wallabies named to play Italy in tournament opener

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Wallabies named to play Italy in tournament opener

The group that recently hooked Australia’s first Tri Nations title in a decade have been rewarded for that performance by being retained as a unit for Sunday’s Rugby World Cup Pool C opener against Italy at North Harbour Stadium after the team was announced today.

Australia beat New Zealand 25-20 at Brisbane 11 days ago to clinch the Southern Hemisphere championship.

Wallabies coach Robbie Deans and his fellow selectors, Coaching coordination David Nucifora and Assistant Coach Jim Williams, have chosen to make no changes to the starting XV from that occasion for this weekend’s assignment.

This decision means that Queensland Reds flyhalf Quade Cooper will retain the goal-kicking duties, after returning four from six in the pressure-filled atmosphere last time out.

The New Zealand-born Cooper has special reason to look forward to Sunday’s challenge. He made his Test debut against Italy on the 2008 Spring Tour, coming from the bench to score the game’s decisive try as Australia broke a 20-20 deadlock to ease to a 10-point winning margin against the Six Nations member side.

While no place has been found amongst the run on group for regular goal-kicker James O’Connor, who is returning from a one match disciplinary suspension; the 21-year-old, who spent the early years of his life in Auckland, has been included on the substitutes bench.

The selection of O’Connor is one of three changes to the bench from that fielded in Brisbane, with front-rowers hooker Tatafu Polota Nau and prop James Slipper returning from injury. Slipper and Polota Nau both made their playing comebacks recently for the Australian Barbarians during the 38-14 win over Canada on the Gold Coast.

Four of the players selected in the match night squad today boast previous Rugby World Cup experience.

Second rower Dan Vickerman, who will play his 59th Test, features in his third tournament after appearing in the 2003 and 2007 editions of the event, while winger Adam Ashley-Cooper, flanker Rocky Elsom and hooker Stephen Moore all attended the sixth Rugby World Cup in France four years ago.

While Australia has never been defeated by Italy, the Azzurri have caused their share of problems for the Wallabies in recent meetings, with the tourists needing a late try to escape in Padua in 2008, and also being flattered by a final minute try during a competitive 32-14 win last November in Florence.

Just seven of Australia’s starting line up from last year’s contest – fullback Kurtley Beale, winger Ashley-Cooper, Cooper, flankers David Pocock and Elsom, prop Ben Alexander and hooker Moore – will also start this weekend.

Italy has since beaten France in the Six Nations, with Deans warning his men that they must move on from the emotion of last month’s Tri Nations success quickly.

“They’re a good team,” he says of the Italians.

“They showed it when they beat France earlier in the year, they should have beaten Ireland in that tournament as well, and have also shown it playing against Australia in recent years.

“As a jump off point for the tournament, this match is critical. Italy will test us, especially at the set piece. If we are not up to the mark in all aspects of our game, we will be vulnerable. We have recent experience of that earlier in the year [during the loss] against Samoa.”

While Italy has competed at all six previous Rugby World Cups, the Azzurri has never made the tournament’s second round.

Deans believes that goal is within reach for the Italians this time around, after watching on in person as Italy was edged by a late Ronan O’Gara dropped goal during an 11-13 defeat to Pool C rivals Ireland at Rome during the opening match of the last Six Nations.

“Their belief in terms of being able to perform more consistently at this level is growing,” Deans says.

“I saw that in Rome earlier in the year and it manifested itself later in the Six Nations when they knocked off France. They’ll be determined to make a statement first up in this tournament, and will see this as a great time to be getting us!”

Italy is coached by former Springbok mentor Nick Mallett, who has been building up the side since taking over from the ex-French Test captain Pierre Bebezier in 2008.

Mallett guided South Africa at the 1999 Rugby World Cup, taking the Boks to a third-place finish, with the only defeat being sustained during a semi-final loss to the eventual tournament champions Australia, in a match that went to extra time.

The Wallabies team to play Italy in the opening match of Pool C at the Rugby World Cup, at North Harbour Stadium in Auckland on Sunday (kick-off: 3.30pm NZ time, 1.30pm AEST) is:

15. Kurtley Beale (NSW Waratahs)
    14. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Brumbies)
    13. Anthony Fainga’a (Queensland Reds)
    12. Pat McCabe (Brumbies)
    11. Digby Ioane (Queensland Reds)
    10. Quade Cooper (Queensland Reds)
    9. Will Genia (Queensland Reds)
    8. Radike Samo (Queensland Reds)
    7. David Pocock (Western Force)
    6. Rocky Elsom (Brumbies)
    5. James Horwill (Queensland Reds, captain)
    4. Dan Vickerman (NSW Waratahs)
    3. Ben Alexander (Brumbies)
    2. Stephen Moore (Brumbies)
    1. Sekope Kepu (NSW Waratahs)

Run on Reserves:

16. Tatafu Polota Nau (NSW Waratahs)
    17. James Slipper (Queensland Reds)
    18. Rob Simmons (Queensland Reds)
    19. Ben McCalman (Western Force)
    20. Scott Higginbotham (Queensland Reds)
    21. Luke Burgess (NSW Waratahs)
    22. James O’Connor (Western Force)

Australia v Italy – Historical Notes

• This is the 14th official Test between Australia and Italy, but the first meeting between the two nations at a Rugby World Cup.
    • Australia has won the previous 13 Tests between the two teams, most recently 32-14 in Florence on last year’s Spring Tour.
    • No Italian player has ever scored more than one try in a Test match against Australia.
    • Australia has won all but one of its six previous tournament opening matches at Rugby World Cups. The Wallabies beat England (1987), Argentina (1991), Romania (1999), Argentina (2003) and Japan (2007) but lost to South Africa first up in 1995.
    • Conversely, Italy has only once prevailed in the first round of the tournament, beating the United States in 1991. Its opening day defeats have been sustained against New Zealand (1987, 2003 & 2007), England (1999) and Samoa (1995).
    • Both teams are on debut at North Harbour Stadium, which is located on Auckland’s North Shore. The ground, which is the home of North Harbour in the NPC, opened in 1997.
    • Flyhalf Quade Cooper scored the match-sealing try for Australia during the Wallabies’ 30-20 win over Italy at Padua in 2008. Two years later, Berrick Barnes contributed 22 points from flyhalf during the 32-14 win at Florence. Only fellow flyhalf, Michael Lynagh, has scored more points for Australia in a single match against Italy, with Lynagh having totalled 24.
    • Inside centre Pat McCabe became the 847th player to represent Australia in Tests when he made his debut off the bench during last year’s win over Italy in Florence.
    • James O’Connor became the youngest ever scorer of a Test hat-trick at 20, and the first player to record a hat-trick in his maiden run on Test, when Australia beat Italy 31-8 at Canberra in 2009.
    • Prop James Slipper last year made his run on debut during the win over Italy at Florence. In doing so, Slipper completed a world record, having previously appeared 12 times in Tests coming from the bench, prior to his maiden Test start. For good measure, the then 21-year-old Queenslander won the team’s internal man of the match award for his performance in the match.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    How can you have Rob Simmons in the team? He adds nothing he is way out of his depth. If RD knows what’s best for himself he will throw Sharpie in and see how a World Class Lock works. I thought Vickerman did enough to keep his spot but i am very disappointed with Simmons. If Sharp is held back from reaching the 100 club it will be a slap in the face to one of the best servants to Australian Rugby over the last decade.

Veteran
    vCash
    yeah, i think sharpie starting or nothing at all.. he is the stayer, not the sprinter. he has a great work rate, but it is a sustained one over 80 minutes.

i think he would need practice coming off the bench,

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    No Sharpie - Very sad

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    but JOC at 22 heehee

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    How can you have Rob Simmons in the team? He adds nothing he is way out of his depth. If RD knows what’s best for himself he will throw Sharpie in and see how a World Class Lock works. I thought Vickerman did enough to keep his spot but i am very disappointed with Simmons. If Sharp is held back from reaching the 100 club it will be a slap in the face to one of the best servants to Australian Rugby over the last decade.
    fortunately RD's primary concern isnt about helping a player achieve 100 test caps..
    shit, just look at Giteau

vCash
    Interesting team selection. I'm not a fan of Simmons, I would have Sharpe there instead without a doubt. In terms of the backline I prefer AAC at #13, but on the other hand he had a great game on the wing and I believe Anthony Fainga'a deserves to keep his spot after his last effort. In saying that I hope that Barnes and Rob Horne get plenty of game time in the other pool matches because I'm a big fan of both of them. Although Pat has played decently, especially on defense I don't think he provides much going forward and I would prefer Barnes (who is equally sound on defense) to be there. Happy JOC is not straight back into the side, but hope his attitude has been corrected and none of that bullshit will occur again.

Every forwards dream is to become a back...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    fortunately RD's primary concern isnt about helping a player achieve 100 test caps..
    shit, just look at Giteau
    It appears his primary concern isn't having a world class lock on the bench either!

Simmons will be the goods in a couple of years, but to say you're fielding your best team and then pick him as a lock with a fit Nathan Sharpe is an insult.

C'mon the

vCash
    My prediction, barnes slipper and polota nau to be starting come the business end of the tournament. Sharpe is no good off the bench so will start or nothing. What about bringing palu in for simmons and putting samo or mccalman into lock for the last 20 when palu comes on
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    I've always like Polota Nau; but geez Stephen Moore has been playing amazing rugby and deserves that spot.

Every forwards dream is to become a back...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    I've always like Polota Nau; but geez Stephen Moore has been playing amazing rugby and deserves that spot.
    I think we have to see Tatafu play before we make that call. Moore was unquestioned until Polota-Nau came along!

But it is true, he's in the best form of his career so far and TPN would need to be 100% to have a chance of breaking into the starting team.

C'mon the

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Even at 70% TPN is better than S finger not his fault he just isnt big enough for test hooker especially against the bigger packs IMHO.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    Where do we see JOC spot coming off the bench? I would like to see him at 12 personally just to give him a go maybe the last 20-30 mins see how he handles it at test level.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    Where do we see JOC spot coming off the bench? I would like to see him at 12 personally just to give him a go maybe the last 20-30 mins see how he handles it at test level.
    He's the definition of utility back right now......can play pretty much anywhere in the back line even if he wouldn't do some of them very well. Keep him in cotton wool until somebody actually needs a break and then shuffle to get the best out of the team.

A couple of years ago, AAC was that body, but it has become apparent that his size is required. Rabbit might struggle to get many starts unless he pulls out some real blinders when he gets a chance.

C'mon the

vCash
    I was watching some of the classic rugby matches on Fox sports 3 this week and when watching one of the old Wallabies matches i saw Tim Horan in his hay day and thought...he’s not much bigger than JOC. So i checked the Stats
    Tim Horan
    Height 1.83 m (6 ft 0 in)
    Weight 93 kg (14 st 9 lb)
    JOC
    Height 1.8 m (5 ft 11 in)
    Weight 88 kg (13 st 12 lb)

Nothing really in the Height and dare i say JOC is still growing.

So is all this talk that JOC is to small to play 12 justified or has the game change that much, to the point where all a team needs at 12 is a big bloke who can run hard, fast, straight and lay mean tackle now and then?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast