Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nathan Sharpe dropped from Wallabies squad again after being named captain of Barbari

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Nathan Sharpe dropped from Wallabies squad again after being named captain of Barbari

By Jim Morton AAP August 21, 2011 8:18PM

The Wallabies will attempt to win their first Tri-Nations crown in 10 years without their most-capped forward after lock Nathan Sharpe was chosen in Australia's second-string line-up.

Sharpe will miss Saturday night's tournament decider against the All Blacks after being named captain of the Australian Barbarians outfit which will play Canada on Friday night at the Gold Coast's Skilled Park.

It's the second time this season the 96-Test second-rower has been demoted from the Wallabies 22-man squad after he was controversially overlooked for the previous clash against New Zealand two weeks ago.

Sharpe, 33, made a storming return last week in the 14-9 victory over South Africa in Durban to cement his place in Robbie Deans' 30-man World Cup squad.

But Deans has seemingly preferred fellow veteran Dan Vickerman and 22-year-old Rob Simmons to play alongside new captain James Horwill at Suncorp Stadium.

Simmons paid the price for a quiet display in the 30-14 loss to the All Blacks in Auckland but has since overcome a shoulder problem, while the Australian selectors are keen to see Vickerman have more time in the Test arena.

Watch the Wallabies take on the All Blacks in the Tri Nations decider, live from 7pm on August 28 on Fox Sports 3HD.

But it still leaves Sharpe in danger of missing out on notching the 100-Test milestone during the World Cup, with the Wallabies campaign kicking off on September 11 against Italy in Auckland.

Selector and ARU high-performance director David Nucifora will coach a Barbarians side which includes returning stars Berrick Barnes (concussion), Rob Horne (elbow), Drew Mitchell (ankle), James Slipper (ankle) and Tatafu Polota-Nau (knee).

All five have missed the Test season due to injuries but Deans has shown his high regard for their abilities by picking them in his World Cup squad.

The Springboks' 18-5 victory over a weakened New Zealand team in Port Elizabeth set up a classic duel for the Tri-Nations silverware.

The last time the Wallabies took the trophy was way back in 2001 when Toutai Kefu scored a last-minute try to beat the All Blacks in John Eales' Test swansong in Sydney.

But Deans took little stock in New Zealand's blip against South Africa, as the likes of Richie McCaw, Dan Carter, Brad Thorn, Owen Franks, Kieran Read, Ma'a Nonu and Conrad Smith were rested to be fresh for Saturday night.

"We won't be reading much into it," Deans said.

"We came well second at Eden Park. For us to think that something the South Africans have done has any way helped us would just be foolhardy.

"I believe we'll be better in what we bring to the game but we'll need to be as well."

Australian Barbarians: Lachie Turner, Rod Davies, Rob Horne, Matt Giteau, Drew Mitchell, Berrick Barnes, Nick Phipps; Pat McCutcheon, Matt Hodgson, Dave Dennis, Nathan Sharpe, Sitaleki Timani, James Slipper, Tatafu Polota Nau, Ben Daley. Res: James Hanson, Pekahou Cowan, Dean Mumm, Beau Robinson, Ben Tapuai, Luke Morahan, Mark Gerrard.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/na...-1226119206682

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    What's going on at the aru?

I mean i know I am force and therefore sharpe biased. But vickerman hasn't really done enough to warrant his place in such an important game.

Or, coule sharpe be pulling double duty this week?

Veteran
    vCash
    i daresay it is one last chance for vickerman to pull his finger out. may as well play him whilst it isnt the world cup.

vCash
    Tri-nations decider, chance for some silverware and they are still playing selection games.

FMD
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    I smell a rat, NSW influence being brought to bear again.

There is absolutely no justification that Vickerman can start before Sharpe, especially not form and experience so it has to be something else!!!!

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Congratulations to Sharpe for captaining the Barbars, but I'd have thought he'd be more useful in a match in which the Wallabies might actually win some silverware! How long has it been?

Sharpe has played in the two tests against the Boks but missed the two tests against the ABs. I smell something fishy, Dingo!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    i daresay it is one last chance for vickerman to pull his finger out. may as well play him whilst it isnt the world cup.
    So, he would be better used to play in the barbarians then?

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    So, he would be better used to play in the barbarians then?
    he could be used against one of the minnows at the world cup... may as well put him against some decent opposition. playing against canada would be like playing club rugby, doesn't really help that much.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    He better get four Tests in the RWC, anything less would be a disgrace to a fantastic career.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Agreed
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Tri-nations decider, chance for some silverware and they are still playing selection games.

FMD
    Posted via Mobile Device
    That's what's really shitting me! Both Test's the Wallabies have won in the series, Sharpe has had a very big impact. Our line out was at the center of them.

The only reason I can think of is that maybe the powers that be have a strategy that places a RWC win above all else. Maybe in order to gain the interest of non-traditional supporters after the NRL and AFL are done for the year on 1/2 October. A pretty flawed strategy if the boys are bundled out in the quarters the very next week.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I am totally bloody P*&^%$#@!@#$%
    What the heck is going on..???..Somebody needs to sort Deans out.!!!!.What is he thinking.???? ...I need to get on a plane and sort him out or somebody needs to...!!!~

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    A dingo dropped your baby?

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    What pisses me off is Deans' seemingly reactive coaching style. Simmons was fully shit last time he played New Zealand. Sharpe would easily be better and he offers us a chance to attack the one major weakness in the ABs, the lineout. We won't beat New Zealand without putting pressure on them and I hardly see us presented with a better opportunity than that.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Simmons at suncorp will do better... local boy pride

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast