Thread: Giteau's mind turns to fatherhood

vCash

Thumbs up Giteau's mind turns to fatherhood

FORGET the Wallabies and forget the World Cup, Matt Giteau has got more pressing matters to prepare for: being a dad.

And if there is one thing capable of taking his mind off his World Cup omission, Giteau says it is waiting with his wife, Bianca, for the birth of their first child in February.

The 28-year-old former Brumbies playmaker is still training four days a week in case injury strikes the Wallabies and he receives a late call-up to the tournament, which begins in New Zealand this week.

But three weeks after being snubbed by coach Robbie Deans, Giteau said the impending arrival of his first child had changed his rugby outlook. ''I've got so many things to look forward to,'' he said.

''Rugby is great and it's what I do for a profession,'' Giteau said. ''But it's not the be-all and end-all that I thought it was maybe three years ago. Family has always been important to me and it's the same with Bianca, so we're excited to start our own family.

''When I got told I didn't get selected [for the World Cup], I went straight to mum and dad's place and we didn't talk about rugby.

''[Bianca being pregnant] has put everything into perspective for me with what has been going on.''

Giteau and his wife will stay in Canberra until early November, when they will leave to start a stint in France with Top 14 club Toulon.

When their baby arrives on February 8, it will be blessed with sporting genes most can only dream of.

Giteau played 92 Tests for the Wallabies and more than 100 Super Rugby matches for the Brumbies and Western Force.

His wife forged her own successful sporting path in netball and played for the Adelaide Thunderbirds in last season's trans-Tasman championship.

Then there's the uncles, aunties and grandfathers.

Lance ''Buddy'' Franklin, Bianca's brother, is an AFL star and plays for Hawthorn, while Kristy Giteau is in the Australian women's rugby team, and Ron Giteau, Matt's dad, played for Canberra. Matt's older brother, Justin, will play for the Queanbeyan Blues in next week's Canberra Raiders Cup grand final.

''We could get something that will turn out completely opposite, like an actor or actress,'' Bianca said.

''We come from good sporting families and we love all sports. We'll support our child in whatever they want to do. With a rugby father and an AFL uncle it could be quite difficult, but I still don't know anything about rugby. AFL is all I know. so we'll wait and see what the baby chooses.''

Having played professional rugby for the past 10 years, Giteau makes no secret of the fact he would like to have a son. Giteau says the biggest advantage of having his baby born in France is that he can keep his child away from Franklin and the AFL's clutches.

''There's not much AFL over there so I'll get in early with rugby,'' Giteau said. ''Soccer is the main thing I have to compete with over there. I'm like any parent. I'll be happy with whatever my child chooses. I want a boy straight up … hopefully he gets some of Buddy's talent. But not his dancing skills … he's got no rhythm.''

Giteau has been working with former Brumbies strength and conditioning coach Marcus Kain in the capital to stay fit.

His Australian Rugby Union contract does not allow Giteau to begin his stint in France earlier than planned. Also the Wallabies are keen to keep him around in case he is needed for the World Cup.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...#ixzz1XQezEEeW

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yawn...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    This puff piece is worse then the one I read the other day about AFL in Russia

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Last I saw there was a World Cup on, why bother with a has-been!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.