Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: new signing for the force

vCash

new signing for the force

From the twitter of Richard Graham

"Will announce another signing tomorrow for @thewesternforce! An outside back from the ........."

any ideas who it is?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    From the twitter of Richard Graham

"Will announce another signing tomorrow for @thewesternforce! An outside back from the ........."

any ideas who it is?

you beat me by 2 mins! If it was going to be a marquee signing I would have thought it would come after W.C. teams were announced so maybe its a local(aussie) signing.

vCash
    Dick wouldn't be so quick to tweet it if it wasn't a big signing, he's been spruiking about having to get a classy outside back since before season's end.

Anything less than an international would be a disappointment.

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I'd have thought there would be more speculation if it had been a bigger signing.

Originally I thought it might have been Tim Bennetts but he'd be considered a centre. I'd wager on either an Australia eligible Kiwi or an Australia eligible player who is currently in the UK. I noticed Matt Carraro is still playing for Bath. He was a promising player when he left Australia and I wonder if anyone has made moves towards enticing him home.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    In that case, I'd be disappointed

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    RUGBYWA MEDIA RELEASE
    Tuesday, 16 August 2011

COWBOY HEADS WEST

The Emirates Western Force has snared another NRL rising star with the signature of North Queensland Cowboys youngster Will Tupou for the next two seasons.

Born in Auckland, Tupou grew up in Queensland and played rugby throughout his school years before trying his hand at league as an 18 year old. He spent two years with the Broncos development squad before moving to the Cowboys where he has earned 21 first grade caps and scored seven tries to date.

Bursting onto the NRL scene in 2010 he made headlines with a match winning 82nd minute try for the Cowboys in their round 20 match against the Newcastle Knights at Dairy Farmers Stadium.

Despite a bright future ahead in league, Tupou was keen to return to his rugby roots and is excited about heading to Western Australia and linking up with the Emirates Western Force.

“I enjoyed my time in league and happy that I gave it a go but playing rugby at the highest level is what I always wanted to do and it’s something that myself and my Dad have talked about since I was a kid,” Tupou said.

“The chance to come across and be part of the team in Perth and push to play Super Rugby is a dream come true, I’m really excited.”

A member of the 2007 Australian Schoolboys side Tupou is looking forward to being part of a backline in Western Australia that boasts the experience of Gene Fairbanks and Cameron Shepherd along with burgeoning talent including Nick Cummins and new recruit, and fellow former NRL player, Jordan Rapana.

“The Force has given me a great opportunity and I want to make the most of that,” said Tupou.

“There is a good mix at the club of experience and youth and I know I can learn a lot while I also hope to contribute a lot as well.”

While just 21 years of age, Tupou is a physically mature player who’ll add considerable bulk to the Emirates Western Force backs with his 196cm and 104kg frame.

“I like running at defences and I also take a lot of pride in my own defence and tackling. I think if defence can be the first thing you get right then the rest of your game can build off it,” said Tupou.

“I’m determined to show the club they’ve made a good choice not only in footy but also outside of the club as well, I want to be part of rugby in Perth and do my bit to continue to build the game in WA.”

Emirates Western Force Coach Richard Graham is confident Tupou will quickly make the transition back into rugby and said when looking to recruit the youngster it was his size and strength, as well as his football smarts, that made him an attractive proposition.

“I have no doubt that Will could have enjoyed a long career in league and we’ve seen this year he has been a strong performer for the North Queensland side. His desire, however, to return to his rugby roots is a windfall for us and I think he’ll make a strong statement in Super Rugby,” said Graham.

“The way he made his way into first team reckoning in the NRL was impressive and if it hadn’t been for some unlucky injury setbacks he’d have plenty more games under his belt.

“He is really eager to take the chance to come back to rugby and I think he’ll bring a real physical presence to our midfield.

“In recruiting this year I wanted to bring in some physically developed players and Will’s involvement in a professional programme in Townsville under Neil Henry will have him ready for those demands and enable him to enjoy success in Super Rugby.”

Will Tupou
    Position: Centre/Wing
    DOB: 20/07/1990
    Height: 196cm
    Weight: 104kg
    Previous Clubs: 2008 – 2009 Brisbane Broncos, 2010 – 2011 North Queensland Cowboys 21 app, 7 tries (NRL)
    Honours: 2007 Australian Schoolboys (Rugby)

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Welcome on board great signing, a big strong outside back is good news.

Alll that is left now is that marquee signing, we really need a good utility player with goal kicking expertise to back up Will Ripia, not sure who is out there, but Frans Styen is one that comes to mind, not sure who else might be out there?

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Bloody Mungos

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Bloody Mungos
    I think we should make a pitch for Tood carney.

(FX: Exit stage left; duck behind door).

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Wow, a 21 year old thats talks of community, basics and defense........not his BRAND!

vCash
    He says all the right things, but we really need a back who is going to be a point of difference.

That being said, I'm shot of the whole superstar princess thing, maybe what we need is to forgo the marquee signing in favor of another good, solid team player who isn't going to fracture the organization with 'look at me'

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Tood carney.
    I've nIt strted pstoNg freM a meBole DevoCe biT meE biss may get hos koybrds from the somm sipplier as BD.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I think we should make a pitch for Tood carney.
    I'll take him out and show the sights of Perth

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "I think if defence can be the first thing you get right then the rest of your game can build off it”
    Height: 196cm
    Weight: 104kg

(As a development player...) You'll do me! Welcome aboard Will

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Bloody Mungos
    Nah, only 3 years on the dark side, he hasn't been stained yet