Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: new signing for the force

Rookie
    vCash
    He was recuited from Rugby as have several other recent recruits .i.e. Vuna, Saffy, Chambers (and if the Brumbies get their man Tomoane). Ao they are all just returning to the natural balance of their footballing careers in my opinion.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tdevil View Post
    Link to the famous 82nd minute try Will Topua scored in 2010
    Rd20 Cowboys v Knights (Hls) - YouTube
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    He might make a good restart/cross field kick option too. A bit like Matt Banahan who coincidentally would have come into contact with Richard Graham when Graham was at Bath.

But the most important thing- is he fast?
    Think we can go for "yes"?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Ooroo, Tupou
    MICHAEL THOMPSON | August 17th, 2011

NEWLY signed rugby union convert Will Tupou will be right to play the season opener of Super 15 rugby next season, according to Western Force coach Richard Graham.

The Force yesterday officially announced the signing of the North Queensland Cowboys centre to the Force from season 2012 for two years, and Graham has no doubt his recruit will take his place in the starting line-up from game one.

"From a physical point of view he'll be capable of playing straight away, it just depends if he's able to grasp the philosophies and the principles of the game," he said.

"I think he should be right to play Super 15 rugby at the beginning of next season, I know from the quality person that he is - and his work ethic - that he'll be in a good position to start the season challenging for a place."

Tupou, was off contract with the Cowboys at the end of this season and it was a fact well known to Graham, who said he had his eye on the former Brisbane State High School for the best part of a year.

The Cowboys attempted to retain the services of Tupou beyond this year but were outmatched by the Force's lucrative offer.

Tupou came to the attention of the Western Force last year through Graham's extensive network within the Australian schoolboys' rugby community.

And Tupou's name came to the forefront easily, Graham said, considering he represented Australia at schoolboys level in 2007.

"I spoke to as many schoolboys' coaches that I possibly could and just tried to find who were the top, young players that they had coached," Graham said.

"Will's name came up from two independent sources and so watched a little bit of him and found out who managed him, but he was signed to the Cowboys.

"So this year when I was looking at players to recruit I went back through my lists and came across Will, so I wanted to explore it further and that's how it pretty much happened."

Born in New Zealand, Tupou was raised playing union and only made the switch to league as an 18-year-old when signed by the Brisbane Broncos, although union has again won his heart.

"I enjoyed my time in league and I'm happy that I gave it a go but playing rugby at the highest level is what I always wanted to do," said Tupou.

"It's something that myself and my dad have talked about since I was a kid.

"The Force has given me a great opportunity and I want to make the most of that."

Cowboys coach Neil Henry said the club was disappointed to see Tupou make his way back to the 15-man code.

"It is disappointing given that we've nurtured him along here and he's had a taste of first-grade,'' he said.

"(But) he does come from a rugby background, and it was a good two-year offer, we weighed in with an offer for him but he's decided to move over to WA.''

Henry said the club will not rush to a find a replacement for Tupou, and would instead look to its own ranks including the club's under-20s team, to fill the void

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au...051_sport.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    RUGBYWA MEDIA RELEASE
    Tuesday, 16 August 2011

COWBOY HEADS WEST

Will Tupou
    Position: Centre/Wing
    DOB: 20/07/1990
    Height: 196cm
    Weight: 104kg
    Previous Clubs: 2008 – 2009 Brisbane Broncos, 2010 – 2011 North Queensland Cowboys 21 app, 7 tries (NRL)
    Honours: 2007 Australian Schoolboys (Rugby)
    Thanks ....It will be good to get home....!!! Beam me up Scottie....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    Welcome on board great signing, a big strong outside back is good news.

Alll that is left now is that marquee signing, we really need a good utility player with goal kicking expertise to back up Will Ripia, not sure who is out there, but Frans Styen is one that comes to mind, not sure who else might be out there?
    It might be a case of waiting until after the WC and seeing if there is some unknown talent playing for the likes of Georgia, Romania or some such country. I should imagin that any of the big names are already contracted for next season.

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Will Tupou
    Position: Centre/Wing
    DOB: 20/07/1990
    Height: 196cm
    Weight: 104kg
    He's the same size and weight as Sam Wykes if he can run fast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3