Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: WE Need another Captain SACK Elsom

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Hahahaha. I probably would too.

Be warned though- I am a gloater.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    A fully fit and in form Elsom is better than a fully fit and in form Higginbotham or probably any of our other sixes for that matter. Who would you have in his place?
    I'd play Sharpe, Vicekerman at lock and Horwill at 6

Big kev is pretty mobile and adds plenty of c--t

or Sharpe, Vickerman at lock and Higgers at 6

I wouldn't mind seeing Samo given a crack at 6 or 8. His defense was bruising at the Reds this year. he's a big farker

It's RWC year. Pick on form. he isn't a project player but he has been in magnificent touch. A final hurah is fine with me. We can build between cups

Controversy corner

vCash
    Tell you what, give him a chance this Saturday and view his performance with an open mind.
    OK-seeing as he seems to have a guarantee of starting he'll get more chances as well. It's fair enough to say well performed Test incumbents should always be given a chance. But when you look at truly great players - they usually can cope with injury lay-offs and still have what it takes to deliver on returnning. In recent times you only need to look at McCaw & Carter. A Wallaby skipper should be in that category. They have been until now.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I don't recall McCaw ever being out for as long as 6 months. I know Carter was for about that length of time in 2009 and he came back quiet but not in too poor form, although they did lose their final home game of the Tri-Nations to the Boks.

But it is comparing apples and oranges because other players in the All Blacks are capable of picking up the slack for those two and they aren't put to the test as much as Elsom has. McCalman and Simmons had poor games and our other forwards weren't exactly on fire.

Also I am not suggesting for a second that Elsom should remain captain or that he is a truly great player. Just that, if given time, he will return to form and that an in form Elsom is the best 6 we have.

vCash
    Also I am not suggesting ................. or that he is a truly great player.
    Fair enough. It was BOD who said he was the greatest player in the world.

To be honest, I'd accepted that Elsom would be given more chances than most. I know it's a slightly different topic but the thing that has been really grating me is the dropping of Nathan Sharpe and the obvious resulting lack of leadership; plus the inclusion of Timani and Rob Simmons. That bloody big trophy was on the line. They could have been tried in ZA (or Brisbane if the Bled is a dead rubber - I think most of us would have that a bigger priority than a TN win).

I agree 100% with Rex on the overdue inclusion of Samo. Been convinced of him all season - he's the form 8/6 of the season, can play lock at a pinch and is another line out/impact option. Defensive and counter rucking hits like his are a big part of what's lacking.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I am very pissed off about the dropping of Sharpie too. He has been far and away the best lock in Australia for the last three years. Horwill was very good this season but I would rate Sharpie more highly.

vCash
    I am very pissed off about the dropping of Sharpie too. He has been far and away the best lock in Australia for the last three years. Horwill was very good this season but I would rate Sharpie more highly.
    Sharpe will be there RWC...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Last edited by travelling_gerry; 10-08-11 at 18:27.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterBoy View Post
    I asked Sharpie why he wasn't capatin of the wallabies at the last TWF awards night and he replied that "you have to support Rocky" I was a bit dissappointed in his response but understand (not really) where he is coming from, he can't agree that yes he should be captain over the current one, that would be a bit up oneself wouldn't it. Anyway isn't Rocky too slow to be a flanker?
    Sharpie will never say anything derogatory about ANYONE...that's the guy he is bless....Our line outs without Sharpie were C R A P ...and our "boys" had no leadership.....Has Deans got an agenda...what's the heck is going on??? (Still in UK...hard to get any news here about our "boys"....)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Owch!! Marto telling it like it is. Elsom out of contract and not one province wants to sign him for next S15 season - says it all!

I don't think we can afford to wait any longer James. Robbie - I was a fan but my faith is wavering. Show some balls and drop Elsom now.

vCash
    I'm not sure why so much focus and energy is being directed Elsoms way. He's out of form & shouldn't be captain, but that's the least of our problems. We have the WC just round the corner and have just been smashed by Samoa & NZ. And that wasn't because of one player.

vCash
    The FoxSports Panel were spot on for once. Whether he's in or out of form, he's not a leader and doesn't have the respect of the team. Play him if he returns to form - no problem - but not as Captain.

vCash
    Rocky Elsom, "The Elephant in the room", looked more like a one legged seagull to me

<>

vCash
    Elsom is luggage

Any forward that spends half the game on the wing can't keep up with play

Rex is sharpening the axe

Controversy corner

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast