Thread: Pocock is better than McCaw: Finegan

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Pocock is better than McCaw: Finegan

David Sygall
    July 31, 2011

World’s best ... Wallabies breakaway David Pocock looks to pass during last weekend’s win over South Africa. Photo: AP
    THE notion that Richie McCaw is the best open-side breakaway in the world is as much a myth as the so-called Eden Park hoodoo, according to 1999 World Cup-winning back rower Owen Finegan, who has rated David Pocock a superior breakaway than the New Zealand captain.

As the Wallabies prepare to take on the All Blacks in Auckland next Saturday - where they haven't won since 1986 - Finegan paid Pocock the ultimate honour, judging him the best No.7 in the recent Super Rugby season and a better player than the 2010 IRB international player of the year.

Asked if he felt, as many believe, McCaw was still the world's premier fetcher, Finegan, the 1995-2005 Wallabies team of the decade player, said: ''No. I probably rate David Pocock above him. George Smith was the best No.7 I ever played with or against, and that included McCaw. And Pocock, towards the end of George's career, was the one who put George on notice.''

Finegan said McCaw has always enjoyed the luxury of playing behind a dominant pack, whether with the Crusaders or All Blacks, whereas Pocock has had tougher challenges with the Force and Wallabies, making his performances more impressive. ''From what I know of Pocock, from a young age he knew that this was what he wanted to do,'' Finegan said. ''He's very committed to getting results in his own game and the teams he plays in.''

Pocock told The Sun-Herald he relished the opportunity to face McCaw, especially at Eden Park. ''Ever since I started playing Super Rugby I've looked forward to games against other No.7s who are highly rated,'' he said. ''That hasn't really changed. Any game against the All Blacks is a big challenge and I'm certainly looking forward to this one.''

Pocock said the team was not interested in discussion about hoodoos, as any game against the All Blacks in New Zealand was a supreme test. ''[Eden Park] is a ground with a lot of history, which has been traditionally very hard to win at,'' he said.

''But that's just what it is - history. As a team we're going over there to put in our best performance no matter what's happened before. That will be our priority leading up to the game, focusing on ourselves and preparing ourselves well.''

Pocock returned to the Wallabies line-up in last weekend's win over South Africa. However, he said it was hard to judge the team's progress, following a shock loss to Samoa and the reality that every game now is an audition for Robbie Deans's final 30-man squad, which will be named in three weeks.

''It's the nature of Test rugby that if you get an opportunity, you really have to take it because you never know when your next opportunity will come. It's something that Robbie has talked about a lot over the past few years, valuing every minute you get,'' he said.

''I was pretty happy to be out on the field again. But, looking at the tape, there are plenty of things I'm looking to improve on. That's what this week's been about, a lot of stuff around combinations with the back row and looking at ways to work together better.

''It's a bit hard to judge where we're at. But we can't train or change the way we're playing judged on how we perceive we're going. I think we've got to aim high and really work to improve and seek that improvement in all of our performances.''

Including at Eden Park, where Finegan, like Pocock, believes history means nothing. ''All that stuff about fortresses and hoodoos - they might have thought that about Stadium Australia, but in the 2003 World Cup that didn't prove to be the case.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...#ixzz1Tdn4c6zi

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Richie is starting to look slow and old... his not the player he once was but can still motivate his team like no other international captain.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Melon is right.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Melon should have kept the hole under his fat head closed

Mccaw is still on the top of his game..........and he is driven by a long burning fire in his soul to end the remarkable 20 odd year RWC drought.

Pocock hasn't been setting the world on fire of late in my opinion

He'll have his work cut out against a world class allblack backrow whilst his captain Elsom the luggage boy is standing on the wing all game.

The allblacks will target the breakdown as our backrow isn't as good as theirs. I predict we'll get belted at the breakdown and lose a lot of ball in turnovers.

Melon is fat and stupid

Controversy corner

vCash
    Mccaw was penalised off the park on saturday.. His attempts at slowing down the ball were too obvious and he did his team no favours with his illegal entries and playing the ball off his feet
    Posted via Mobile Device

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    He's still right though.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    Mccaw was penalised off the park on saturday.. His attempts at slowing down the ball were too obvious and he did his team no favours with his illegal entries and playing the ball off his feet
    Posted via Mobile Device
    McCaw has always been a master of the dirty play, hands in rucks that sort of thing (more proffessional things as opposed to SA's gouge the eyes out style)

He's good at it and it helps his team, but he's sure to be pulled on it now and again..

Player
    vCash
    he does what every loosie should do but does it better

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I saw him get away with heaps. McCaw only got penalised one out of 10 offenses. Pure genius.

Pocock is too nice

Controversy corner