Thread: Dellit can thank Maitland mates for Force landing

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Dellit can thank Maitland mates for Force landing

Craig Kerry
    July 24, 2011
    WESTERN Force utility Patrick Dellit is glad that his schoolmates in Maitland were a persistent bunch.

Dellit, who last week signed a contract extension with the Perth-based Super 15 side, was raised in Bolwarra and played football until the age of 16.

But Dellit, a naturally gifted athlete with size and speed, had many good friends at All Saints College, Maitland, who played rugby with the Blacks and he promised one day to have a run with them.

Advertisement: Story continues below
    After only three years of junior rugby, Dellit was hooked. He left for Sydney straight after high school and played with Eastern Suburbs until being picked up this year by the Force on a two-year rookie contract.

The 24-year-old went on to play 12 Super Rugby games, including the last nine of the season as a starter, received the club's Rising Star award and this week signed an upgraded contract extension that will keep him in Perth until the end of 2013.

''It's been a remarkable year, just going from just club football and trying to have a crack and then getting an opportunity,'' Dellit said. ''It's been good.

''It was basically a two-year deal to start with but after the first year we changed it and they extended it, which is always good.

''After the year I had, I was hoping to settle in and extend and they were obviously happy with the first year as well.''

Looking back, the 192-centimetre, 100-kilogram flyer said he was glad his childhood friends were rugby mad.

''I had quite a few mates playing rugby for the Maitland Blacks and I decided to go there and play,'' he said. ''I really enjoyed my rugby there. I branched out and did some league as well and played as much sport as I could at school.

''But it was always going to come down to league or union.

''At the time I was having more fun playing with my close mates in union and it gave me an opportunity to move to Sydney, and the rest is history.

''I still keep in touch with some of them and try to get down and watch the Blacks play when I'm home.''

His pure talent attracted the attention of the Knights in those schoolboy days and Dellit said he still had an interest in the 13-man game.

''I'd done all the pre-season work with the SG Ball [then under-17s] squad and that was a great experience and great fun,'' he said.

''That was my first year playing contact sport so it was a bit of a learning curve - first time getting in the gym and that kind of stuff.

''It seems like a lifetime ago walking into the gym in Newcastle. But it was all good, all part of the journey.''

His focus next season is cementing a place in the Force back line after alternating between outside centre and fullback this year.

''As much as being a utility in a team is good, you always want to make a number your own,'' he said.

''Next year I'm going to keep working hard and focus on outside centre. I think there could be a good opportunity there.''

Dellit was set to come home this weekend but will stay in Perth to rest an abdominal strain then train in preparation for the Force's tour to Samoa late next month.

After that he hopes to play for Eastern Suburbs in the finals of the Shute Shield and catch up with his Maitland mates.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...#ixzz1SwUBpIlp

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    And thanks from us to them as well, we really need him and his like in the Force going forward

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    His junior form is as impressive as what he's done since. To make the S G Ball squad in his first year at League is pretty incredible. Obviously a natural.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Champion
    vCash
    Contributes to local club rugby too. A true gentleman.

Internet Troll
    I am an Internet Troll
    Please ignore my posts

vCash
    Hansie, will we have Pat and our other Force boys lining up for us in the finals?

Seems that Sheehan, Brown and god knows who else will be playing for Cott for the rest of the season. How do they get away with it every year?

Go Neddies!

vCash
    only Sheehan is playing for Cott. Would you prefer he went to Sydney and played?

GRAB YOUR MATE!

Champion
    vCash
    Good to see Sheehan in club rugby, Paddy has osteo pubis so not going to play for a while, Brownie out for season so Cott will miss him. Pek did ask to play if he misses out on World cup squad, but have suggested he stay over East as our season will be over in 4 weeks.

We have to stop this bagging of Force players playing club rugby...we need them here. Great to see Fulvio and Pally boys keeping quiet now that Chucky has been playing with them. Our guys relish the chance to play against Force players, that's what we need to foster.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KalaFan View Post
    only Sheehan is playing for Cott. Would you prefer he went to Sydney and played?
    Absolutely, and good riddance.

I think you'll find that Chucky has been moved East on the orders of the Force.

Veteran
    vCash
    some of you guys can't make up your damned mind! Get as many as possible playing! If one stick behind, perhaps other will come as well! We all know that one player won't make much of a difference. Didn't Browny get pulled in that final, and Cott lost anyway?

Whinge whinge bloody Whinge!