Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stanley bolsters Force backs

vCash

Stanley bolsters Force backs

The Emirates Western Force has continued its positive recruiting drive for the 2012 season with the addition of exciting Blues back Winston Stanley on a two year deal.

A young player with a bright future, he was member of New Zealand’s U19 World Cup winning team in 2007 and also the victorious U20 side two years later, his performances at the 2009 tournament earning a nomination as the IRB Junior Player of the Year.

Snapped up by the Blues, Stanley made his Super Rugby debut in 2009, and for the last three seasons has played alongside older brother and All Black centre Benson Stanley.

While injury stalled his progress in 2010 he fought hard to win his place back in an impressive Auckland line-up this season and managed three matches for the semi-finalists, including game time against the Waratahs in the qualifying first round of the playoffs.

Approached by Emirates Western Force Coach Richard Graham about a move to Perth the 22 year old was eager to head west to expand his rugby horizons and be part of the side’s bright future.

“I had been well looked after in Auckland and also playing in the same side as my brother was really great however I considered what I wanted to get out of my rugby and a fresh start at a club with a strong reputation for their professional programme was really appealing,” Stanley said.

“I have heard really good things from the people I have spoken to and I just wanted to get a new perspective on my rugby and have some life experience by moving to a new place away from home.”

One of the people Stanley contacted was 2011 Emirates Western Force Player of the Year David Smith who spoke extremely highly of both Perth and what was on offer from a rugby perspective.

“David and others I have spoken to couldn’t have been more complimentary about playing rugby in Perth,” Stanley said.

“In my discussions with Richard (Graham) it became very clear the aspirations and direction he wants to take the club and the resources being put in to achieving those goals.”

While a brand new $17million state of the art rugby training facility in Perth is playing its part in attracting new recruits, Stanley also pointed to the strong foundations that have been laid in assembling a squad capable of challenging at the top end of the Super Rugby ladder.

“For sure you want to be playing in a winning team,” said Stanley.

“The club has a really strong forward pack with plenty of current Wallabies and also boasts some exciting backs which I hope I can add to and be a strong contributor.

“I know there are some pretty handy midfielders already there so I have no misgivings about how much work I’ll need to do to challenge those guys for a place in the side. Competition is good though and I’m sure it will make all of us better players overall.”

Stanley has strong links to Australia having been born in Brisbane and spent his first 11 years in the country before moving to Auckland with his family. He comes from a classy rugby pedigree, aside from his All Blacks capped brother his uncle is former All Black and 1987 World Cup winner ‘Smokin’ Joe Stanley.

The youngster has inherited some of his famous uncle’s traits with great vision, an ability to offload in the tackle and defensive hardness all key elements of his play.

“Winston is light on his feet which enables him to win contact and off load and will add something to our attacking game,” Graham said.

“At 22 years of age he is still learning and growing in the game but is also mature in terms of his development having come through a very good system in Auckland.

“He is also an intelligent young man and anyone that you speak to regarding Winston talks about the quality of person that he is and that says volumes about him.”

Stanley will remain in New Zealand to play out the ITM Cup competition as part of the Auckland side before heading to Perth for pre-season training starting in November.

WINSTON STANLEY
    Position: Centre/Wing
    Born: 11/02/1989 (Brisbane, Australia)
    Height: 182cm
    Weight: 95kg
    Province: Auckland
    Super Rugby Debut: 2009 v Bulls
    Super Rugby Caps: 6
    Honours: U19 NZ Junior World Cup Champions (2007), U20 NZ Junior World Cup Champions (2009), Nominee for IRB Junior Player of the Year (2009)

Sounds like a good buy is he our marquee signing?http://www.westernforce.com.au/NewsE...3/Default.aspx

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by The Big I; 21-07-11 at 20:18. Reason: forgot the link

vCash
    Reading that I would have thought development player?

Eligible to play for Australia?

vCash
    He was born in Brisbane so h should be able to?

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    A solid signing for the club, two solid centers signed this week. Now how about that counter attacking 15 and spritely 14

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    If he was born in Aus that would make him immediately available for Aus selection.

vCash
    I'll have to start recording Auckland's games in the ITM cup and take a look at him.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Watched him in NPC last season, he's a bloody good player on his day, it is a good signing for sure.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion
    vCash
    Thats a positive move.... if he is as half as good as his dad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandgroperrugby View Post
    A solid signing for the club, two solid centers signed this week. Now how about that counter attacking 15 and spritely 14
    The other centre would be Paddy Dellitt?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BDAVEY View Post
    Thats a positive move.... if he is as half as good as his dad.
    Be better if he's half as good as his uncle.

vCash
    We are starting to get a good squad together hopefully we play a lot of pre-season games to get the team to gel earlier than the last few games of the season.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    This is an awesome signing. I was hoping the Force would sign Benson Stanley as a marquee and a genuine all rounder 12. But he is ineligible for the Wallabies having played for the ABs. Winston is great because he's younger and doesn't take up a marquee spot.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Now this is a smart signing, best back recruitment in the last few seasons by the Force..he's young with potential and his eligible for Australia which will make it easier for the Force to retain him in the long run..

His path at Auckland was blocked by the Nonu signing, worked out well.

Posted via Mobile Device

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big I View Post
    The other centre would be Paddy Dellitt?
    That would be correct

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast