Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Wallabies Named to Face South Africa

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Contestable kicks, now that would be a novelty - they'd want to be careful not to confuse everyone with such radical tactics. I mean, that on top of actually committing at the breakdown and running forward instead of sideways and holding onto the ball in contact...let's just throw the whole gamebook away!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    How does Rocky "marshmallow" Elsom get away with crappy decisions game after game??? ....He should NOT be Captain..and Sharpie should be Captain...Come ON...PLONKERS justify your decisions...

vCash
    What is Saia Fainga’a doing even warming the bench? He must be Au worst hooker.
    His selection doesnt make sence.

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    At first I was incensed by the fact that Deans had dropped Sharpie for Simmons, especially since he was far and away the best forward last weekend. It would have been a poor decision as Sharpie is needed in the line-out against a guy like Victor Matfield because Simmons and Horwill would get torn apart. But then I remembered that the Boks left Matfield in South Africa. So it kind of makes sense. Simmons gets the chance to show whether he has what it takes in test matches and get some experience before we get to the World Cup.
    Why was Matfield left in South Africa...???

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertryk View Post
    Why was Matfield left in South Africa...???
    Being rested for the WC

May the FORCE be with you!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Contestable kicks, now that would be a novelty - they'd want to be careful not to confuse everyone with such radical tactics. I mean, that on top of actually committing at the breakdown and running forward instead of sideways and holding onto the ball in contact...let's just throw the whole gamebook away!
    I actually thought we were getting better at that last year. We got taught a lesson by the Samoans though. Those little kicks from the ruck by Kahn Fotuali'i were punishing. It helps to have a 110kg plus chaser though. It also helps when the opposition have their heads up their asses.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Senior Player
    vCash
    No this is not a weak South African team.

De Villiers gets criticised for sticking with his (past it) veterans, and then when he picks a team on form (Basson, De Jonghe, Johnson for eg, all had a great Super 15) we label it a second string team. Many of the others are injured no doubt, and yet others left at home will make an appearance come RWC, but the ones that are touring will want to press their chances for selection.

I can only hope they press their chances for selection the same way our own fringe Wallabies did against Samoa.

Player
    vCash
    I agree with BJ - If the Wallabys go into this thinking that the reds are here woo hoo and this is a second string Yappie team then they will get rolled. I hope for their sake that PDV has spun his majic on this side and they will fall apart. Unlikely though.

Champion
    vCash
    Matfield has retired from International rugby.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I thought that was supposed to be after the Rugby World Cup. Matfield was left at home because he being rested.

vCash
    Conditions for the game will be atrocious - there has been 115mm of rain at Olympic Park over the past couple of days. You could see sports grounds flooded when I flew into Sydney earlier tonight.

They might have to rebrand the game as large scale water polo for Saturday night

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I thought that was supposed to be after the Rugby World Cup. Matfield was left at home because he being rested.
    Correct James, but also add Smit to this list of retirees.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    It will be interesting to see who takes over as Boks coach after de Villiers and which way they will take the team. There will be a big cultural shift with the loss of Matfield, Smith, du Preez and a handful of others.

vCash

Exclamation Wet Wallowby

WILL Genia couldn't feel his fingers, the Springboks trained on a basketball court and word got around Ian Thorpe was a late addition to the bench. Just another day in soaking Sydney.

Preparations for the Tri-Nations opener were thrown into disarray yesterday when the persistent deluge saw the Wallabies train in ankle-deep water at Rushcutters Bay and the Boks forced indoors after failing to find an oval that didn't resemble a pool.

With over 60mm of rain fallen on ANZ Stadium and more forecast through to Sunday, the wild weather appears likely to turn tomorrow night's clash into a muddy arm-wrestle.

Both teams will pack away the running rugby for tight tactics and while it may not thrill fans, star Will Genia said such practice in the slosh could prove valuable with a small tournament in rainy New Zealand around the corner.

"It will be good, in the long term, as far as preparation goes and for this side in general," Genia said.

"We need to play in different kind of conditions and to adjust to whatever game style based on what is in front of you: weather, teams and games and situations."

The Wallabies braved the elements to train at Sydney Grammar's Weigall field. Most other ovals in Sydney were shut, including the Boks' venue North Sydney Oval.

"We haven't trained in rain all year so it was interesting. I couldn't feel my fingers out there," Genia joked.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226099417343

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3