Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Match Preview: Wallabies vs Samoa

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash

Match Preview: Wallabies vs Samoa

So another season of test rugby is upon us. This is not just any year, however, with the eyes firmly on the ultimate prize of the Webb Ellis cup in October. With that taken into account we only have a brief taster against Samoa before we plunge head first into the Tri-Nations the following weekend. While a game against Samoa should be a foregone conclusion, the first test of the year is always cause for excitement.
    It has been a mammoth 12 months for Australian rugby. We have gone from the highs of a rare victory over New Zealand and a demolition of France in November to the introduction of the Melbourne Rebels to Super Rugby and the Reds winning Australia’s first title in 7 years. We now need to reset and refocus and start on the path toward further glory. Nothing would make a better start to the season than a clinical, injury-free performance against the visitors.

How they are going to win it?
    With not too much disrespect intended, in a home test for the Wallabies against a ‘minnow’, this should be bread and butter for the Wallabies. The Samoan side has the look of an average Super 15 team and should be outclassed by the Wallabies. However, far too often the Wallabies have put in very sloppy performances in the first test of a season, especially against less vaunted opponents. The message that Robbie Deans has to get out to the troops will have to be ‘Keep it Simple!’. This is particularly prudent since the Wallabies starting XV contains just 6 members of the side that tore strips off of France almost 9 months ago. The new faces, mostly in for deservedly rested Reds, will want to put in a dynamite performance. Not just to keep themselves in Deans’ reckoning but also to keep the fans spirits up coming up to the big event. They need to stop the rot: No lazy, aimless kicking, no trying to beat everyone single-handedly, no throwing wild and aimless offloads, no running laterally at every opportunity. Stick to the game plan and treat Samoa as though they are the All Blacks and the Wallabies won’t just win it, we’ll win it well.

Samoa have never won a test against Australia and would have to be at very long odds to take this one. There is a small chance for the islanders, however. Samoa’s biggest strength lies in their hard hitting tackles and direct running. If the Wallabies don’t start the game with total composure they are vulnerable to being rattled. It becomes a downward spiral from there as pressure increases the number of poor decisions and builds even more pressure. If Samoa are going to win it, they need to unsettle the Wallabies before the game gets out of reach. They also need to keep the game as unstructured as possible since they will likely be under pressure in the line-out and, to a lesser extent, in the scrums. Let’s see some of that Samoan flair, after all, it wouldn't be the first time a minnow swallowed a whale.

Players to watch...
    With such a drastically different Wallabies side that sees four new players in the 22, there is plenty to watch out for. The most exciting one for me is Pat McCabe in at 12. McCabe ended the Super Rugby season at 12 and was a revelation in the process. Can he bring that form to the international stage? Can he provide a solid defending, solid attacking option at 12 that we’ve lost with the absence of Berrick Barnes? Nick Phipps will be another to keep an eye on. Phipps has been in sensational form for the Rebels. His bullet passing is bound to put our attack on the front foot. Will he be able to use his opportunity to leapfrog Luke Burgess? Finally, how will Ben Alexander go at tighthead? He had a very average season with the Brumbies this year, however most of that was from the loosehead side. With Benn Robinson now out, there is a lot riding on Alexander’s shoulders. Will he cope with the pressure, or will it be a hinging extravaganza?

In the propping department they don’t come more entertaining than Census Johnson. The big man, weighing in at 138kgs, is an absolute beast. Although he starts from the bench, he will be good for a couple of monster tackles and a few good runs. He should sure up the scrum when he comes on, too. Alesana Tuilagi is another bone-crunching Samoan who will strike a bit of fear into the Wallabies. At 117kgs Tuilagi has the frame of a prop but the mobility to play in the centres or on the wing. If he can get some momentum, it will be a torrid night for James O’Connor. As most of Europe knows, it isn’t fun trying to rein in any of the Tuilagi brothers.

The Outcome
    As said earlier, this one is the Wallabies to lose. You get the sense the game will go somewhat like last year’s Fiji clash: A slow and uninspiring start seeing less than a converted try separating the two teams at half time followed by a late fade out to Samoa as the Wallabies run over the top of them. It will be a real sign of the maturity of the Wallabies coming into the World Cup if they can play a full 80 minutes with the intensity and ruthlessness they will need to enjoy victory in October. Unfortunately, I don’t think this will happen. The Wallabies will win and win by a lot, but it won’t be pretty. Wallabies by 24.

Did you know?
    Last time the Wallabies played against Samoa the team was captained by none other than our own Nathan Sharpe. I’m sure if there was one thing we can agree with Eddie Jones on, it’s that Nathan Sharpe is captain material. Is it too late for the big man to regain the reins and lead us victory in New Zealand?

The Cheeky Flutter
    Mark Gerrard for first try-scorer.

The Teams:
    Australia: Mark Gerrard, James O'Connor, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Pat McCabe, Digby Ioane, Matt Giteau, Nick Phipps, Ben McCalman, Matt Hodgson, Rocky Elsom (capt), Nathan Sharpe, Sitaleki Timani, Ben Alexander, Stephen Moore, Sekope Kepu. Reserves: James Hanson, TBA, Dan Vickerman, Scott Higginbotham, Beau Robinson, Will Genia, Kurtley Beale.

Samoa: Paul Williams, Sailosi Tagicakibau, George Pisi, Seilala Mapusua, Alesana Tuilagi, Tusi Pisi, Kahn Fotuali’i, George Stowers, Maurie Fa’asavalu, Taisina Tuifu’a, Daniel Leo, Kane Thompson, Anthony Perenise, Mahonri Schwalger (capt), Sakaria Taulafo. Reserves: Tii Paulo, Census Johnston, Filipo Lavea Levi, Manaia Salavea, Brenton Helleur, Eliota Fuimaono Sapolu, James So’oialo.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Senior Player
    vCash
    We just have to come out of this one unscathed in terms of injuries. Many of the starters will struggle to see themselves in a starting Wallaby jumper again this year.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

vCash
    Tuilagi running at O'Connor, ouch.

One of the highlights of watching Leicester is this man.

Rampaging winger is one way of describing him.

vCash
    You seen much oF Seilala Mapusua WRF? I've only really seen him in the Barbarians game from a couple of years ago.

Good to see Maurie Fa'asavalu back in union again.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by welshrugbyfan View Post
    Tuilagi running at O'Connor, ouch.

One of the highlights of watching Leicester is this man.

Rampaging winger is one way of describing him.
    Tell me about it.

We should count ourselves lucky that we aren't playing Quade and he's not playing 12. It will also be made easier that Samoa's forwards aren't as strong technically or as organised as Leicester's. Hopefully he won't get much front foot ball.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    BREAKING NEWS: Queensland Reds Rod Davies has been called-up in to the Qantas Wallabies squad to face Manu Samoa, replacing Western Force's James O'Connor

vCash
    Hamstring, or so fb says
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    You seen much oF Seilala Mapusua WRF? I've only really seen him in the Barbarians game from a couple of years ago.

Good to see Maurie Fa'asavalu back in union again.
    Yep, he's a brilliant inside centre for London Irish. Did a nice intercept pass against Wales in 2009. Our fault for wearing canary yellow tops.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Is it wrong to be happy with the final outcome of that game? Congrats Samoa!

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    It's never wrong to be happy.

I am happy we aren't in the same RWC pool as they are.

vCash
    Tuilagi needs no introductions to SH rugby fans anymore I take it.

vCash
    Interesting Game - no real set plays that I could see just pure guts and determination (hats off to the beef industry as well they ALL looked like flankers)

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    A note for the ARU - why wasn't this held at SFS? There was no NRL there today

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast