Thread: Rugby nomad Swanepoel lands with Canterbury

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Rugby nomad Swanepoel lands with Canterbury

TONY SMITH Last updated 05:00 14/07/2011

Mark Swanepoel was born in South Africa, spent a bit of his boyhood in the Bay of Plenty and played in the world junior championships with Australia.

So why is the 20-year-old halfback – a young man uniquely qualified to represent any of the Sanzar unions – now about to start a campaign with Canterbury?

"It's an opportunity to play for the best province in the world," the recent Western Force No 9 said at Rugby Park yesterday.

"You'd want to take hold of that."

Swanepoel was five when his family left Johannesburg to live at Papamoa beach, near Tauranga. They were there five years and got their New Zealand citizenship when his "mum and dad went on their first holiday since we moved to New Zealand".

"They went to the Gold Coast and just fell in love with the place. We left three months later and have been on the Gold Coast since then, from the end of 2001."

But where does this rugby nomad feel most at home? The diplomatic corps, perhaps, judging by this answer: "Home is each country. Obviously my heritage is South African, but I spent a lot of my early childhood in New Zealand, so that holds a special spot and then obviously I've called Australia home for the last 10 years."

Swanepoel is a product of Southport School, a Gold Coast college with a proud rugby tradition. "We had a dynamic team. I think only one player in our backline from my final year hasn't got a professional contract."

How's this for a roll of honour: Jono Lance, who played fullback for the Reds in their Super 15 final triumph over the Crusaders, played outside Swanepoel at first five-eighth. Ben Tapuwai, the Reds' second five-eighth, filled the same role for Southport. Cronulla Sharks National Rugby League player Nathan Stapleton was at centre. Reds squad member and Australian sevens star Luke Morahan was on one wing and his younger brother, Simon, was at fullback. Wallabies prop James Slipper was in the Southport front row and Reds lock Rob Simmons also played for Southport in Swanepoel's time there.

Swanepoel represented his adopted country at schools level in 2007 and 2008 and was an Australian under-20 international in 2009.

He joined the Queensland Reds academy in 2009 but was soon on the move west.

He made his starting debut against the Hurricanes this year and retained the role against the Highlanders. That gave him a taste of top rugby so he was understandably reluctant to revert to club footy after playing for Manly in the New South Wales Shute Shield competition last year.

He spent the last half of that season filling in at first-five and "loved my time at Manly".

"But I wasn't going to go from having a taste of Super rugby to right back down to club rugby. I want to play the highest level I can and learn the most I can. I think NPC bridges that gap."

- The Press

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/p...ith-Canterbury

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash

Swanny

This is just for the NPC season, correct?

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...714-1heun.html

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    old news here on TWF

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    old news on TWF

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Swanepoel dyed in red-and-black

3/8/2011 11:18 AM
    Bob Schumacher
    Sportal
    Related Links
    Thrush forgets the pain
    BOP prop 'back home'
    South African-born, Australian-based halfback Mark Swanepoel has quickly warmed to his new province and is determined to do Canterbury proud in its ITM Cup campaign.

Swanepoel, a member of the Western Force squad for the last two Super rugby competitions, made only five appearances in 2011 and when the opportunity came to represent Canterbury in this year's congested NPC schedule he didn't have to be asked twice.

"It wasn't a hard decision to come here – once I learnt of the opportunity I jumped at it,'' Swanepoel said on Wednesday after being named in Canterbury's starting line-up for the round seven cross-over match against fellow Crusaders catchment team, Tasman, at Blenheim on Friday night.

It will be Swanepoel's fifth Canterbury match and second start after he made his run-on debut against Wellington.

Replacing Willie Heinz, he is the only change to the Canterbury backline which fronted against Manawatu last Saturday, but there are two changes to the pack with veteran Reuben Thorne coming in at lock ahead of Ash Parker and Brendon O'Connor taking over from Matt Todd on the openside flank.

Swanepoel said he wanted to establish a good understanding with promising young first five-eighths Tyler Bleyendaal, captain of the New Zealand Under 20 team two years ago.

"He's definitely a player to watch in the future and I'd like to develop a combination with him through the ITM Cup."

Swanepoel said he had immersed himself in the proud Canterbury culture.

"You couldn't come to a better place in terms of reputation and history and it is evident in everything we do. We always look back on what Canterbury has done and where we can still go.

"It's an honour to pull on the Canterbury jersey and because of that you want to do the best you can for it. Coming here but not being from here, you see players who have come through with Canterbury who want the jersey so much.

"Guys like Tyler who is born and bred in Christchurch wants to be a Crusader and an All Black and the passion is contagious. The coaches have it, they've both been ex Canterbury players, and the whole support staff really help lift the spirits and get up for the jersey."

With Tasman securing their first win at Hawke's Bay's expense on Tuesday night, Swanepoel said it served as a warning that every team had to be shown full respect.

"We're not taking any team lightly. Only one team (Bay of Plenty) has had a really good start and the others have won or lost their fair shares of matches."

Canterbury were tripped up by Tasman, 27-25, at Nelson last year, the first win by little brother over big brother since the Makos entered the competition in 2007.

Canterbury: 1.Paea Fa'anunu, 2.Steve Fualau, 3.Andrew Olorenshaw, 4.Reuben Thorne, 5.Luke Romano, 6.George Whitelock (c), 7.Brendon O'Connor, 8.Nasi Manu, 9.Mark Swanepoel, 10.Tyler Bleyendaal, 11.Patrick Osborne, 12.Ryan Crotty, 13.Robbie Fruean, 14.Telusa Veainu, 15.Sean Maitland.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Can someone clearly tell me if he is coming back to WA next Super season or not?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    yes.
    Graham mentioned this week that they have given Mark leave to "gain more experience at the top level"

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Phew...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I don't think he has been officially re-signed but I certainly hope he does. But yeah he definitely hasn't been officially cut.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Ok, I'll sit on "Ph..." then

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I don't think he has been officially re-signed but I certainly hope he does. But yeah he definitely hasn't been officially cut.
    Oh SH1T. I dont like the sound of that.

May the FORCE be with you!