Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wallabies squad

vCash

Wallabies squad

Fifteen players from the Super Rugby-winning Queensland Reds have been named in Australia's 40-man squad for next week's Test against Samoa and the Tri-Nations series leading into the World Cup.

Australia coach Robbie Deans said the heavy presence of Reds in his squad for the upcoming campaign was a deserved reward after their historic 18-13 win over the Crusaders in Saturday night's final.

Alongside Reds stars including Quade Cooper and Will Genia were several bolters, including 35-year-old Radike Samo, who returns to the Wallabies for the first time in seven years.

Samo revitalised his career after joining the Reds at the tail end of last year's campaign as an injury replacement.

Reds reserve hooker James Hanson was another notable selection, while team-mate Beau Robinson and NSW Waratahs second rower Sitaleki Timani were the other newcomers to the squad.

Reds backs Rod Davies and Luke Morahan, Rebels half-back Nick Phipps and Waratahs loose forward Dave Dennis were also named, and will be looking for their first Test caps after previously going on the Wallabies' spring tour.

Reactivated Melbourne Rebels utility Mark Gerrard is back in the squad for the first time since 2007, with Dan Vickerman also returning after recently arriving back from time spent studying in England.

Berrick Barnes and Drew Mitchell were both not included due to injuries.

"In terms of the players who are currently on the sidelines, we won't be rushing any of them," Deans said.

"But we need to get them all started, in terms of being exposed to all of the detail, as part of our preparation.

"That's one of the reasons why we have opted for an enlarged squad at this point."

Deans said due to the limited time before the World Cup, players not representing Australia will be released to play for their clubs side as in previous years.

Australia plays Samoa in Sydney on July 17 before its first Tri-Nations clash against South Africa a week later, also in Sydney.

Wallabies:

Ben Alexander, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Kurtley Beale, Luke Burgess, Quade Cooper, Ben Daley, Rod Davies, Dave Dennis, Rocky Elsom , Anthony Faingaa, Saia Faingaa, Will Genia, Mark Gerrard, Matt Giteau, James Hanson, Scott Higginbotham, Matt Hodgson, James Horwill, Digby Ioane, Sekope Kepu, Salesi Maafu, Pat McCabe, Ben McCalman, Stephen Moore, Luke Morahan, Dean Mumm, James O'Connor, Wycliff Palu, Nick Phipps, David Pocock, Tatafu Polota Nau, Beau Robinson, Benn Robinson, Radike Samo, Nathan Sharpe, Rob Simmons, James Slipper, Sitaleki Timani, Lachie Turner, Dan Vickerman

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I think Cummins will count himself unlucky....(waiting for Rex to tell me he can't catch and needs a haircut)....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kipper_mckinnon View Post
    I think Cummins will count himself unlucky....(waiting for Rex to tell me he can't catch and needs a haircut)....
    Not really Davies has been impressively quick and JOC needs to have wing access to get him into the starting team but utility players like AAC, McCabe and Gerard have the advantage.

vCash
    Cummins hardly dotted down for the Force

wingers who don't score tries don't deserve a gold jersey

Davies.........speed.......we feel the need, the need for speed

Super 15 winners medal, a swag of touch downs.......what did Cummins do?

In fairness to Cummins though, I'd have picked him ahead of Mark gerard.......dead set, what was Deans thinking here?

Great to see Timani get a spot. He has been massive and brings a real physical presence. I like him

Vickerman........give the idea away. His 15 minute stint for the Tahs suggested he is out of touch with pro rugby.

Horwill, Sharpe, Timani, Rob Simmons all capable. Not a fan of Dean Mumm

Controversy corner

Champion
    vCash
    What about Pek? He certainly does not cave in like Daly and does a fair bit more around the paddock too.

I feel for Cam...just too many injuries i guess.

Senior Player
    vCash
    I don't think anybody rates Dean Mumm. He is only there because his dad is on the ARU board. It is a disgrace

vCash
    Can't we do better than Rocky Elsom...???

Internet Troll
    I am an Internet Troll
    Please ignore my posts

vCash
    No Richard Brown?

Is he injured or will he be turning out for Cott for the last part of the season?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    No Richard Brown?

Is he injured or will he be turning out for Cott for the last part of the season?

I have become a twittererer, found these;

caty_priceCaty Price

@RichardGraham15 hey coach.. what's the story with Browny's shoulder? Surprised not to see him in Wallabies squad!

RichardGraham15Richard Graham

Good support for @thewesternforce Rich Brown in the rugby world re Wallabies. Deans clear re shoulder injury but still in RWC frame if fit.

caty_priceCaty Price

Richard Brown been carrying a niggling shoulder injury for some time - lets hope he can force his way into RWC squad - final cut down Aug 18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansie View Post
    What about Pek? He certainly does not cave in like Daly and does a fair bit more around the paddock too.

I feel for Cam...just too many injuries i guess.
    Agree Hansie - the reds pack did OK against the Crusaders - but only just ok - worrying to include the whole pack....

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah but only one of them (Horwill) is a likely starter in a full strength Wallabies side. And there are no guarantees for the others on the bench with Ben Alexander, Moore, Vickerman and Hodgson just as likely to take the 4 forward spots. That compared with a Crusaders pack that will likely have 4 first choice ABs (McCaw, Read, Thorn, Owen Franks). I would put a fair bit of money on Ben Franks and Sam Whitelock being on their bench too.

We would probably rate the Reds pack higher if they scrummed better and Holmes isn't in the Wallabies squad while Faingaa and Daley are 3rd in line for their respective Wallabies spots.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertryk View Post
    Can't we do better than Rocky Elsom...???
    I agree.... was he that good that he can hold down a poistion without playing all season.... Higginbottom played a blinder last week, for me Bam and Higgenbottom on the side with Ben Mac or coconut reds (name??) at 8

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    No Richard Brown?

Not considered due to a shoulder complaint - 3.59mins on video here

Unlikely, but door is still open ie, could be an injury replacement before the squad is trimmed to 30 on 18 August for the World Cup

Last edited by SinBin; 12-07-11 at 07:51.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Daley can defend but can't scrummage. At least Longbum can do both.

Champion
    vCash
    My hump for the selections:

Luke Burgess - Thought i heard earlier in the year that we aren't selecting players who are going to travel to Europe / Abroad for after the RWC.

Quade Cooper - Can someone please teach QC how to tackle he "almost" lost the S15 final for the Reds and the other teams will see it and he'll be a steam roller at the RWC. But still a great pairing with the new Gregan (aka Genia)

Rocky Elsom - why why why. plays 30 minutes of football this year and deserves a spot... ha ha ha - JOKE !!

Mark Gerrard - Pensioner waiting to get injured and sit on the side lines waiting for his cheque to clear.

Dean Mumm - is it his mum or dad playing for the wallabies this year, about as good a pick as rocky

James O'Connor - JUDAS - just had to !! ha ha ha

Beau Robinson, Radike Samo - I like these two picks but how can they all get in the team with the flankers and #8's we already have in the pecking order.,

Sitaleki Timani, - oh sh1t who's he going to bang heads with and knock out from our team, the "battering ram but for the wrong team

Dan Vickerman - Is that Ireland i hear calling Dan. go away and carry your bags of your brother, we dont want you. 15 minute wonder (not even that).

Deffinately players missing but Robbie "i'm always a kiwi" deans is still barracking for the blacks and not the gold in my eyes with some of these selections.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast