Thread: Campese Calls for Link to Replace Deans

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Campese Calls for Link to Replace Deans

Test great David Campese has called for Ewen McKenzie to replace Robbie Deans as Wallabies coach if Queensland cap their remarkable resurgence with a Super Rugby title.

McKenzie has taken the Reds from second last to a home final in two seasons at Ballymore and Campese believes he now deserves to lead Australia after this year's World Cup.

The Australian Rugby Union is in the process of recontracting Deans beyond the tournament but the 101-Test winger said it is time to put an Australian back in charge.

Campese said McKenzie is the best man for the national job he turned down in late 2005, when he opted to stay on with the Waratahs.

"If they win, Ewen McKenzie should become the Wallabies coach," he said.

"I know they want Robbie Deans signed but we don't need him.

"I would rather Australia have an Australian coach than sign Robbie Deans again.

"(McKenzie) has taken the Reds from almost last to first so he's definitely got the players playing well and he deserves to be the national coach."

McKenzie lost out when Deans became the first foreigner appointed to the role, replacing John Connolly after the Wallabies were knocked out in the quarter-finals of the 2007 World Cup.

The former Test prop had the chance to succeed Eddie Jones as Australia coach after taking the Waratahs to the first of two Super Rugby finals in 2005.

Meanwhile, McKenzie is almost certain to unveil an unchanged 22 after winger Luke Morahan failed in his attempts to return from a torn hamstring.

It's likely to see former Melbourne Storm three-quarter Will Chambers retained on the bench to be in line to join Crusaders' lock Brad Thorn as the second player to earn the NRL-Super Rugby title double.

Dual international Thorn won three NRL premierships for the Brisbane Broncos (1998, 2000, 2006) before being a part of the Crusaders' 2008 final victory over the Waratahs.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/wa...-1226089096115

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Campo was my idol when playing.

I try not to take anything he's said after retiring seriously.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    Campo was my idol when playing.

I try not to take anything he's said after retiring seriously.
    As a player - awesome, as a spokesperson for the game - I get the impression half of what he says is deliberately controversial just so he gets some media attention. He's right about Mckenzie, I think he'll do a great job, but you don't kick out Robbie Deans simply because he doesn't have the right passport. I think the Wallabies have the team to do well in the TN & WC. If they under perform then it may be time for a rethink.

vCash
    Wasn't Aussie Rob recently extended until the Lions series in 2013?

vCash
    His profile, and thus earnings, must be on the slide. His website hasn't had an update since last year and he's lost his regular gig at the Telecrap. He's often used controversial blabberings to get his name back in the news.

It's fairly obvious Deans won't be replaced. His ability to manage generational change, identify talent and back it was the gigantic point of difference to his predecessors. Link has mirrored that at the Reds and it's equally desirable that he continue there. He'll be ready to take the Wallaby reigns when Deans moves on.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Wasn't Aussie Rob recently extended until the Lions series in 2013?
    Yeah I think that contract could end up in the bin if things go pear-shaped this year for the Wallabies.

vCash
    I think it's good to call for an Aussie to be the next Wallaby coach, but there's absolutely no reason to make that the instant the World Cup is over. Link would be a good option assuming he can have the level of independence he has had at the Reds, but I reckon ARU is similar to NSWRU in that there is a lot of pressure from on high to do things a certain way.......Link suffered badly under those restrictions at the Tahs.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I think it's good to call for an Aussie to be the next Wallaby coach, but there's absolutely no reason to make that the instant the World Cup is over. Link would be a good option assuming he can have the level of independence he has had at the Reds, but I reckon ARU is similar to NSWRU in that there is a lot of pressure from on high to do things a certain way.......Link suffered badly under those restrictions at the Tahs.
    The ARU will want some return on their investment with the big $ they are paying RD. So far he has nothing to show for it. 2 wins in last years TN and an average tour to Europe, where they got thumped by England. I think if they perform similarly in the TN and don't make the WC final, Sideshow Bob will be gone. I'm saying final, as they have a very easy path to the semi-finals. Probably Wales or Samoa in the quarter-finals, so making the semis is no real achievement. So either TN success or a WC final would be needed to save his ar$e.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    i want the best person for the job to be the wallabies coach - where they are from means nout to me

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Agree with what he is saying or not, but this faggot has consistently come out with crap that seems to always get media attention for him.
    Good player in his day but for god's sake (and ours) go back and shovel copious amounts of spaghetti down that gob, STFU, and enjoy retirement Campo.

Player
    vCash
    great player, crap commentator, spent too long in SA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bunter View Post
    Agree with what he is saying or not, but this faggot has consistently come out with crap that seems to always get media attention for him.
    Good player in his day but for god's sake (and ours) go back and shovel copious amounts of spaghetti down that gob, STFU, and enjoy retirement Campo.
    don't hold back Bunter, tell us what you really feel!

C'mon the