Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Force Dumps O'Connor

vCash

Force Dumps O'Connor

The Emirates Western Force has withdrawn from talks with James O’Connor’s management after further intensive negotiations failed to find common ground on contract length and remuneration.

RugbyWA was advised by O’Connor’s management last week that the utility player had chosen in principle to remain with the Emirates Western Force on the basis of the club agreeing to a new set of contract terms and conditions.

These conditions, relating specifically to contract length and remuneration, were considered by RugbyWA before a final counter offer was made to O’Connor.

After 4˝ months of negotiations without resolution a deadline was set for 9.00am today which passed without a response from O’Connor’s representatives. RugbyWA Chief Executive Officer Vern Reid has therefore withdrawn the offer.

“We presented James with extremely generous terms which reflected his talent and standing at the Emirates Western Force,” Mr Reid said.

“We were fully committed to giving James every opportunity to continue his development through the rugby programme in Western Australia however it is clear his final decision has been based on other factors.

“We’re still a young club and it is fundamental in our development that everyone is committed to building a cohesive culture that defines a ‘team’ ethos. The terms being imposed by James’ management did not correlate with that objective.

“It is with a great deal of regret that we will farewell James, however we can be certain that we did everything we could to retain his services and that our offer was fair and reasonable and in the best interests of the Emirates Western Force and rugby in WA,” said Mr Reid.

O’Connor was recruited from Nudgee College in Queensland ahead of the 2008 season and made his first appearance later that year. He became the youngest player to debut in Super Rugby history, at 17 years of age, and has gone on to collect 38 caps for the Emirates Western Force.

Head Coach Richard Graham said while he was disappointed that O’Connor would not be part of the organisation going forward the decision not to compromise contractual standards for a short term benefit was universally supported across the club.

“We all know that James is a wonderfully talented player however the terms that were being asked of us by his management were, in our view, unacceptable irrespective of the player in question,” Graham said.

“We have a strong belief in our rugby programme and that is evidenced by the number of international capped players being produced out of WA. James has been one of the beneficiaries of that programme and we were certain he could continue to grow within the environment we’ve created here.

“There will be plenty of conjecture about what James’ departure means in terms of our future on the field and I can reassure our members and supporters that our goals do not change.

“We will continue to recruit exciting new players while our retention has already seen a high calibre of personnel remain committed to rugby in WA.

“We wish James the best in his future however our concern from now going forward is planning and preparing without him.

“We are confident we have a robust squad that will display the character to grow and find success in seasons ahead.”

http://www.westernforce.com.au/NewsE...7/Default.aspx

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Thanks for your work on the field JOC - however I do not extend you any thanks for drawing this out for so long - you'll get the same respect Git's has from a lot of people!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    No man is bigger than the team. Good on you EWF!
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronski Beat View Post
    Posted via Mobile Device
    About time! Fark off joc.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    I'm pissed off, it took the little kid 4 and a half months to IGNORE an offer? I'm not impressed. Yeah bye James. Tastes so bitter in my mouth. But at least we're not going to have to go through this drama all through next season again. It's way more than I can handle.

Ironic his worst game on record was his final in the blue jersey.

Also, I'm so chuffed RWA showed him the door rather than the other way round. Last thing I wanted was the little brat smacking the door in our faces after FOUR MONTHS of uhming and ahhing. Kudos for taking a stand RWA

We're 1 from 2 without him this season, about to be 2 from 3. Now we can be superstar team, rather than a team with a superstar.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Another point, where does this leave the younger O'Connor ?

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    That's a $urprise!!....
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    I'll be sad to see JOC go - I think he did alot for the Force and I loved watching him play.
    But I'm glad they stuck to their guns and let him go - so to the Rebels then?

Laugh and the world laughs with you.......
    ......cry and you'll weaken your beer

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Rebels is the hottest goss right now

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Rebels are the only one with extra money given the deal they have with salary caps and foreign players ...

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    No tweets for a while...

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Rebels are the only one with extra money given the deal they have with salary caps and foreign players ...
    reckon it was cash related ?

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    See ya JOC. Thanks for the memories. I wish you had of sorted this contract stuff out quicker rather than wasting everyone's time and effort.

Time to unfollow you from twitter

coz Stone Cold says so

Player
    vCash
    So how do we spend the money his leaving has opened up?

I think we have three positions to fill:

An established TH who can scrummage (Ma'afu isnt that player).
    An established wing who knows how to finish.
    An established 10/12 player who can add some excitement.

We have some great talent in the academy / rookie list and some very good younger guys coming through, but we need experienced hands to guide the youngens. Those three are the positions I see wanting.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast