Thread: Giteau always welcome: White

vCash

Thumbs up Giteau always welcome: White

New ACT Brumbies coach Jake White will attempt to lure Matt Giteau back to Canberra when he finishes his 18-month stint with French club Toulon.
    Giteau will play his last game at Canberra Stadium tonight when the Brumbies take on the Melbourne Rebels in the second last round of the Super Rugby season.

After the Wallabies' World Cup campaign Giteau will join Toulon. But White is convinced the 28-year-old playmaker will be capable of making a Super Rugby return.

And the former South African World Cup-winning coach has thrown the door open for the star back to return to the capital either late in 2013 or for 2014 and beyond.

''I wish him [Giteau] all the best for the next 18 months,'' White told The Canberra Times.

''But the Brumbies will always accept a guy like Matt Giteau. He's been a fantastic Brumby ... If he does want to come back and there's an opportunity, we will be more than willing to accommodate him.''

The new Brumbies coach was disappointed Giteau had already decided to go to France before he was appointed in April.

White who begins his four-year tenure as Brumbies coach next month felt he could have helped to reinvigorate Giteau's career after almost a decade in the spotlight.

Giteau signed his deal with Toulon in February and said taking his career abroad was essential to him keeping fresh.

Unlike most players who decide to play overseas, Giteau will only be a 30-year-old when his contract with Toulon expires.

He is not troubled by ongoing injuries, nor is he considered to be a has-been by his opponents.

The opportunity to reach 100 Tests for the Wallabies could entice him back to Australia and he has hinted at possibly returning for the British and Irish Lions tour in 2013.

But while Giteau is reluctant to speculate beyond his time in France, there is a possibility White could get his man.

''[To come back] I really feel I need to offer the Brumbies something, not just come back here and get easy money and kind of cruise through the season,'' Giteau said.

''If I feel that I'm missing this style of football or Canberra in general and I still feel like I've got something to offer the Brumbies then I'd love to come back at some point,'' Giteau said yesterday.

''But at the moment I'm just focused on this year and my last game at Canberra Stadium.''

The Brumbies will farewell 10 players after they play the Rebels.

Because of the Brumbies' injury toll, just four of the departing squad members will be on the field Giteau, Mitchell Chapman, Patrick Phibbs and Adam Ashley-Cooper.

The others who won't be returning are Mark Chisholm, Salesi Ma'afu, Francis Fainifo, Rocky Elsom, Josh Valentine and Huia Edmonds.

Giteau led the Brumbies to an upset win over the Queensland Reds last weekend, and he has been one of the team's best performers during this season despite the Brumbies winning just three of 14 games.

White said Giteau's determined attitude would be crucial if the 91-Test veteran wanted to make a comeback for the Brumbies.

''I know how hard he has been trying, I know how much it all means to him,'' White said.

''To be fair to him, he's been under the pump internationally with guys like Quade Cooper and James O'Connor coming through.

''The thing about Matt is he enjoys competition and that's why he was considered one of the best players in the world he's got that attitude which brings out the best when he's under pressure.''

The Brumbies are having one of their toughest seasons. But coach Tony Rea was effusive in his praise of Giteau's leadership.

''You've seen a bloke really dig in for the place,'' Rea said. ''He deserves people to recognise what he's done and support it and tomorrow night's the ideal time to do that.''

Meanwhile, the Brumbies are believed to be close to signing Australian under-20s hooker Siliva Siliva to replace Edmonds.

The highly rated Siliva plays with the Western Force and is currently with Australia at the Junior World Championships in Italy.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news...px?storypage=0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash

Thumbs up

Brumbies leave Canberra on a high .....

The ACT Brumbies have won back-to-back games for the first time this season, beating the Melbourne Rebels 32-17 at Canberra Stadium tonight.

The Brumbies scored five tries-to-two in one of their most dominant performances of the Super Rugby season. It was the perfect way to farewell captain Matt Giteau, Mitchell Chapman, Adam Ashley-Cooper and Patrick Phibbs who are all leaving Canberra at the end of this year. But more importantly it guaranteed the Brumbies would not finish at the bottom of the ladder. Christian Lealiifano, Tyrone Smith and Giteau all scored first-half tries to give the Brumbies an 18-3 lead at half-time. The Rebels threatened to get back in the contest after the break, but the Brumbies showed some grit and promise to hold on for just their fourth win of the season.

The Rebels will now finish at the bottom of the Australian conference and are in danger of collecting the wooden spoon in their inaugural year.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news...h/2191971.aspx

vCash
    Nice, the guys played well and got to farewell their supporters with a good solid performance and with solid win... over many past Brumbies... Thanks Matt Giteau for your commitment and leadership, come back after Toulon and rejoin the team fro another shot at the championship. Meanwhile enjoy France... Good luck to the rest of the lads moving on to new opportunities... Thanks for wearing the Brumbies jersey with pride...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Be careful what you wish for Jake...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Tyrone Smith hasnt been picked up yet........hmmmmmm

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    You know you are a bit lonely when you make the first 3 posts in a thread.

I like McCabe at 12 for the Brumbies. AAC was good too. The law regarding playing the ball and not getting up and keeping on running is a super contentious one and I hope the IRB get it bloody well sorted before the World Cup. No sour grapes about it, but what AAC did was exactly the same as what Flynn and SBW did against us earlier in the year and he was penalized and they weren't. Bit of uniformity would do everyone a bit of good.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    At least he isn't arguing with himself I guess...yet...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    The way he contradicts himself sometimes it's likely only a matter of time.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Things will only get worse now that the precious has gone to France.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Mud is only here to temper the outrageous claims of parochial Force fans. Every forum needs a Canberian to heckle

Brumbies go back to back.

What was good to see was the form of Moore and AAC

Controversy corner

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Fancy that, parochial fans on a teams supporters page

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    It's important to have balance
    Not everybody in Australia believes that Kieren Longbottom will be the starting looshead for the wallabies this year
    Mud brings some perspective from outside the fish bowl

Controversy corner

vCash
    i gave up a long time ago

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Be careful what you wish for Jake...
    he's pretty good at getting coaches sacked LOL..

cheers auss...
    fabricarti diem punc