O'Connor set to stay in Perth

The West: Updated June 8, 2011 13:20:00

Rival Australian franchises have conceded defeat in the race to sign James O'Connor, admitting the Wallabies star is now likely to stay with the Western Force.

In-demand playmaker O'Connor, whose contract winds up at the end of the Super Rugby season, has been linked with all five Australian super rugby franchises.

But both Brumbies chief executive Andrew Fagan and Reds coach Ewen McKenzie have admitted talks with O'Connor amounted to nothing.

Fagan said although O'Connor is yet to confirm his decision, his manager informed the Brumbies yesterday of his intention to stay in Perth.

"That was his intention and I think he's still got some work to do with the ARU to finalise all of that, but he'll be staying in Perth," Fagan said.

"He thanked us for our offer and reaffirmed we were a genuine consideration, but this time we've missed out."

McKenzie admitted he had been resigned for some time to the notion Queensland would miss out on O'Connor's signature.

"We've been contacted and he won't be at the Reds," McKenzie said.

"Where he is going to be I don't know."

McKenzie said the delay meant O'Connor was unlikely to leave Perth.

"I've always said it is difficult to get people to leave and move around," he said.

"The longer it goes on, the less likely it is. I have always been, I guess, suspicious he wasn't coming our way for some time because it's been dragging on.

"I've been thinking more laterally for some time."