Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ACT Stun the Reds 22-14

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    lady

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Brumbies' win against Reds among gutsiest in club's history

THE ACT Brumbies jumped, cheered and sung their team song with so much gusto they almost destroyed their temporary changeroom after they beat the Queensland Reds last night.
    For the first time this year, the Brumbies held on to beat a rival Australian franchise.

The tough, gritty and brutal 22-14 victory at Suncorp Stadium might have been just the third win of a disappointing Super Rugby campaign.

But after being given no chance against the competition leader and title favourite, it will go down as one of the most hard-fought in the club's history.

The Brumbies stunned the Reds with a gutsy display in Brisbane it was a performance ACT fans have been waiting for all year.

And after going winless for almost two months, the Brumbies' raw emotion was there for everyone to see at full-time.

The players jumped all over each other and cheered as Matt Giteau slotted a penalty goal to secure the eight-point win.

Make no mistake, the players were feeling the heat after a disappointing year of missed opportunities and sub-standard results. That's why they were so relieved to prove to everyone they still had some fight left in them with a determined effort against the Reds.

Even if captain Giteau admitted afterwards the jubilation was a bit over the top for a team sitting 13th on the ladder.

''I think we got too carried away,'' he said.

''We're a bit more relaxed now, you don't like to carry on like that but it's been a tough year and obviously a big win for us and a bit of history we're able to hang on to.

''You can't really describe it ... the Reds have had a phenomenal year. It's a good feeling.''

Before the clash with the Reds, the Brumbies had not beaten an Australian team this year. Every time they had chances to win games, they squandered their opportunities.

But last night there was a steely resolve in a squad determined not to become the first Brumbies team to lose at Suncorp Stadium since 1999.

Making the victory even sweeter was the fact it ended the Reds' 12-game winning streak at home.

Giteau's penalty after the siren also denied Queensland a crucial bonus point as they set their sights on finishing at the top of the ladder and guaranteeing themselves home games in the finals.

The Brumbies didn't care about the Reds' quest for supremacy. They just wanted to win.

''These local derbies, if you've got an opportunity, from my point of view, where you cannot give the opposition any points I'm going to take it,'' Giteau said.

''I thought I was striking the ball well and it was pretty sweet to kick it over.''

This Brumbies' victory was built on a staunch defensive effort and a renewed commitment to each other.

For the second week in a row, the Brumbies held their opposition to just one try. Making that statistic even better is the fact the past two games were against the top two sides in the competition the Reds and the Cape Town Stormers.

Of course, it's not all rosy. The Brumbies are still third last on the ladder and need to beat the Melbourne Rebels on Friday night to ensure they are not in danger of claiming the wooden spoon.

But coach Tony Rea couldn't hide his satisfaction.

''Our work ethic and understanding of what it takes to be in the ball game when it heats up has massively improved,'' Rea said.

''The scoreboard [was different], we won. We came first, not second.

''There's a lot of distractions around, but the 22 guys committed to each other and worked hard. They found a way through it whereas before we couldn't.''

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news...px?storypage=0

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tic View Post
    Yep - Giteau told Moore to F#@& Off! I'm the captain! Nice one Matt.

I also believe that the Reds didn't even deserve a bonus point, but Gitaeu just proved, by taking the kick, that he plays only for himself. It was HIS opportunity to gloat.

There would have been no shame in kicking it into touch - in fact, that would be the percentage play, but he opted to assume some risk (slight though it was), to enjoy some perverse personal retribution.

I'm sure that this may weigh on the minds of Wallaby selectors.
    Suck it up QLDer.. the Reds didn't deserve a single bonus point... Its sport not a tea party... ... Brumbies hand them in Canberra 4 tries to one last time.. The Reds had nothing and the Brumbies took everything from them including Digby... They could have lost by more...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Moore said something..the Gits was heard to say via the refs mic

" Fuck off...I'm the captain"
    fair call by Giteau... Moore should know his place on the field... Moore said after the match he just wanted the game over...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Would have loved to have seen a miss kick bounce off the posts for a length of the field under the dot...
    But it didn't happen mate...

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I would be dark if I heard Nathan Sharpe say that to anyone in the Force. Telling a senior teammate to F--- Off isn't leadership.

You have to admire the ruthlessness in taking the kick, but it was a bad decision due to the marginal risk it posed. I'm not sure ruthlessness is something you can really afford when you the third bottom team on the ladder.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Suck it up QLDer.. the Reds didn't deserve a single bonus point... Its sport not a tea party... ... Brumbies hand them in Canberra 4 tries to one last time.. The Reds had nothing and the Brumbies took everything from them including Digby... They could have lost by more...
    They didn't deserve to win but there wasn't that much in it doesn't say much for the nags then does it. A bloke smacking a bloke in the jaw in a questionable tackle and you gloating about it is a pretty low form mate, especially when the bloke you are talking about is the best winger running around the country.

You are starting to be a bit of a Giteau mate.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Giteau told the hooker to "shut the f... up, I'm the captain"
    If I was the coach then it would have been the last time he would be captain. You don't speak to your team mates like that when you are captain.

I can see why Moore wanted the Ball kicked out rather than try and get 3 more points. I can only imagine what would have happened if the kick hit the posts and Cooper ran 90 meters to score.

Giteau you are a looser not a captain. You are a disgrace to the sport and I it shows more and more why it went so shit while you were here in the West.

Rookie
    vCash
    From my point of view, I thought the tackle on Ioane was not suspendable to Vaea. At the game I did not get a good view but watched on the post game later in slow motion. I thought this was an accident. I thought Greg Martin commentary was over the top saying it was deliberate and aimed at breaking jaw. This riled the crowd with sports ears. In the post match backed away slightly.
    I believe Digby was being tackled by Salvi and was shaking his hips to free himself. Vaea's arm was close to Digby's waist near the ball Digby stumbles slightly and head hits bicep and upper arm. Arm ready to wrap around, not a shoulder charge.

Good to see Red's bandwagon go on about the bonus point. Thought kick was right reason. For and against might be vital. Keep SA and NZ conspiracy theory at rest. Good practice to kick with the booing. Hard to practice for this.

The Red's game plan was wrong they should have taken all kicks on offer as the Brumbies may have crumbled if Reds took the lead.

Force do your best this week as you were unlucky at Suncorp.

Reds are now bleating reckon they need a home semi final and final to win the comp.

Veteran
    vCash
    yeah it is not right, i thought i noticed it when we played them at the end, when he took the draw.

looks like he has lost a lot of respect from his team mates, and he probably wont be getting it back either...

Veteran
    vCash
    i also didnt see anything wrong with the tackle... Just unlucky really and i hope digby come around quick enough.

Not a good sign for the reds to be getting all the injuries at the pointy end, when they are doing so well... I hope they can still get a good finals berth when we smash them on saturday!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Emu View Post
    Keep SA and NZ conspiracy theory at rest. Good practice to kick with the booing. Hard to practice for this.
    Thats a pretty fair point I guess.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    But it didn't happen mate...
    Jeez, aren't you all full of jiz after a win!

Still a shithouse year for the ponies

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandgroperrugby View Post
    They didn't deserve to win but there wasn't that much in it doesn't say much for the nags then does it. A bloke smacking a bloke in the jaw in a questionable tackle and you gloating about it is a pretty low form mate, especially when the bloke you are talking about is the best winger running around the country.

You are starting to be a bit of a Giteau mate.
    It wasn't a premeditated blow... Digby goes in hard every time in the tackle... he just came off poorer this time... Cooper had nothing without him which showed he is a little one dimensional when he has his options taken away...

Pat McCabe was outstanding, shut the Reds backs down…

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Jeez, aren't you all full of jiz after a win!

Still a shithouse year for the ponies
    yep only value I've got out of iQ this year...

After hearing the Daily Tele rookie columnist Tim Horan bang on about the Reds possibly beginning the best S15 ever on last weeks Rugby Club the win was twice as nice... Reds got luck against the Crusaders... Brumbies beat them by 4 tries to 1 last time its was just Coopers goal kicking that got them home that night.

Last edited by mudskipper; 06-06-11 at 13:08.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast