In a major coup for WA Netball and sport in this state in general, Coaching guru Norma Plummer is coming to Perth

Norma Plummer to coach West Coast Fever

Ben Papalia From: PerthNow June 02, 2011

THE absence of coaching day-to-day netball persuaded new West Coast Fever coach Norma Plummer to relocate to Perth and tackle the ANZ Championship.
Plummer has coached the Australian Diamonds since 2003 and will guide them into the upcoming Word Championships in Singapore this July, but the hard-nosed veteran says it was the local netball feeling she yearned for.

Plummer said her new position with Fever would fill an empty coaching void, ironically created by only being able to work with the national side.

"I've had a fantastic time with the Diamonds," she said.

"But I love to coach and to coach on a daily basis. I have found it a little bit tough sitting and watching games, other than having the hands on feeling.

"That was one of the reasons which I discussed with Netball Australia, saying the national coach must be able to coach locally.

"While the ANZ Championship is a fantastic competition and sets the standard across the world, it has limited my time with the national athletes in the past few years so I am champing at the bit to get more hands on with a group of players again."

Plummer said that her immediate priority would be to guide Australia to a gold medal at the Word Championships, before she relocates to Perth later in the year.

Netball WA chief executive officer Scott Henderson said Plummer would be given licence to develop netball in WA, but added Fever would also look to recruit for next season.

"We will give Norma a big licence to develop netball in WA and we'll certainly put a large focus on retaining players locally,'' Henderson said.

"But we know we have to step out of that circle (recruiting) a little bit to get to where we want to go.

"But certainly Norma will be trying to develop the next layer of Fever players from within WA also.''

Fever pair Susan Fuhrmann and Caitlin Bassett, both recently selected in the national side, welcomed the appointment.

“Since being involved in the National program, every single time I have gone into camp with Norma or played a game for Australia under her direction, I have learnt something new and developed my game further,” Fuhrmann said.

“With Norma, you know what to expect – she has high expectations and is hard but fair. She gives you the skills to achieve the success that she demands.”

Bassett added: “Being selected for Australia is amazing and something I have been working hard to achieve all year, but this piece of news is the cherry on top. This is an opportunity to learn from the best week in, week out.

“One thing is for sure, this is going to be a very exciting time for the Fever.”

Netball WA president Robert Shaw said Plummer would bring energy and unparalleled expertise to the Fever.

“Norma’s coaching ability and record is really second to none and we think her appointment is an enormous coup for netball in WA,” he said.

“Norma is truly a coaching icon in Australia. She has a demonstrated record of success in every coaching role she has undertaken and we look forward to her having a similar positive impact in WA.”