Thread: Match Preview: Western Force vs Highlanders

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash

Match Preview: Western Force vs Highlanders

It's getting to the pointy end of the Super Rugby season and, while the Force have long since been out of finals contention, there has been a fair bit to smile about over the last week. Last weekend's clash with the Hurricanes didn't provide the joy of a third away win for the season, but it did unearth two gems in halves pairing James Stannard and Mark Swanepoel. It was probably one of the best coaching decisions that Richard Graham has made this season. Graham has backed that one up with a second quality decision of not rushing in the 'big name' walking wounded of James O'Connor, Willie Ripia and Brett Sheehan. The backs finally put in the type of performance the Force fans could be happy with and hopefully that will see those incumbents left behind in Perth under pressure to return to the starting squad.

The Highlanders come into this weekend's game with a loss to the Lions that could prove to be a blessing or a curse for the Force. The Lions have put out a blue-print for defeating the Highlanders, which no doubt the Force's superior squad could emulate. However, the South Islanders have had all week to plug the gaps that were exposed last weekend. They also will be coming into the game with more motivation; their finals hopes having taken a blow with the loss to the Lions and a further loss to the Force would kiss them goodbye altogether.

This weekend's game, along with the Lions in Jo'Burg, would no doubt have been pencilled in for 4 or 5 points in the pre-season, and my how things have changed. The Highlanders are on the brink of the top six, struggling to get in, while the Force are languishing towards the bottom end of the ladder. Yet for all the difference in ladder position, history definitely favours the Force with the Highlanders being the only side the Force have a positive win/loss record against. We Westerners have enjoyed victories in the last three games with the Highlanders, including two away wins in Queenstown. The two matches the 'Landers did win, in 2006 and 2007, were very tight affairs with 3 and 1 points margins respectively. Trivia tidbit: The Force have never finished a game against the Highlanders, Lions or Rebels without a least one competition point.

The Teams
    Richard Graham has made only one change to the Force side to take on the Highlanders. Nick Cummins has moved to the bench for Alfie Mafi. The former gets a chance for a much deserved rest, particularly for his ear, while Mafi gets another chance to step up and show what he can do with his rocket boots. The Highlanders have also made minimal changes; John Hardie replaces Alando Soakai in the backrow, Soakai takes Matt Saunders' place on the bench, and All Black lock Tom Donnelly takes the place of Hardie on the bench. With a 5-2 split on the bench, Jamie Joseph has clearly signalled that he will continue on with the pick and drive style that the Highlanders found so effective earlier on in the season.

There will be some interesting clashes across the park in this game. The key strength of the Highlanders has long been their scrum, and the trio of Jamie Mackintosh, Mahroni Schwalger and Chris King are no slouches. Mackintosh tips the scales at almost 130kgs making him one of the heaviest loose heads in Super Rugby. The Force front row has held it's own particularly well this season but this will be a true test for Longbottom, Charles and Fairbrother. The Hurricanes scrum may boast more All Blacks caps but it is not the grizzly, gnarled threesome that front up for the Highlanders.

Behind their battle-harden front row is something of a weak spot in the Highlanders side. Jarrad Hoeata and Josh Bekhuis are essentially backrowers; highly mobile and fantastic ball runners but not the most talented in the line-outs. There will be an opportunity here for Nathan Sharpe, who was untouchable on the Force's throw last weekend, to exert some serious pressure. This is especially so since Adam Thomson is the only recognized jumper in the 'Landers backrow. No doubt that the ever-reliable Tom Donnelly will take the field if the Highlanders start losing this battle, however the Force using an early territorial kicking game would definitely be prudent.

What the Highlanders miss out on in their pack in height, they definitely make up for in explosive ball-runners. Their back five are among the competition's best with Adam Thomson and Nasi Manu at the fore. Our defence will need to be on top form to prevent them from getting the kind of momentum with their drives and one out hit ups that saw them topple the reigning champion Bulls at Loftus Versfeld.

Pretty hard to judge the battle of the halves. This is just the second time we will have seen Stannard at 10 and Swanepoel at 9. The Highlander's fly-half, Lima Sopoaga, is also in his first season of Super rugby. The only constant is Jimmy Cowan who masterfully, if supremely annoyingly, leads his team around the park. Fingers crossed he had a big night out on the sauce after the Lions loss and hasn't fully recovered. Or hopefully someone has stolen his pot of gold.

The battle of the back three will also be an intriguing one. Will it rain as it so often does in Dunedin? Will we/they kick? Will we/they run? Ben Smith is one of the best counter-attackers in the business as he is a very slippery eel in the tackle. Alongside him, Kade Poki also has pace to burn and the pair will be dangerous from wayward kicks. Yet neither, nor 11. Siale Piutau, is a brilliant kicker and there may be opportunities here for Cameron Shepherd's thumping boot to pin the Highlanders in their own territory.

The Prediction
    The Highlanders have never played a dominant game against us. However, they have shown that they are a quality side in 2011 and that Jamie Joseph, despite being a douche bag, is an astute coach. This could be the closest, on the field if not the scoreboard, game between the two sides. The battle over the breakdown will be immense. If our forwards can put in effective tackles and slow down the Highlander's ball at the breakdown, we can stop them from building up any steam and take away that point of attack. It will all come down to our defence in the first 10 minutes and last 10 minutes- but then, doesn't it always? I have confidence here. We have the goods to win this one and our history in Otago has been great. Force by 3.

Team Line-ups
    Western Force: 15 Cameron Shepherd, 14 Alfie Mafi, 13 Patrick Dellit, 12 Rory Sidey, 11 David Smith, 10 James Stannard, 9 Mark Swanepoel, 8 Ben McCalman, 7 David Pocock, 6 Matt Hodgson, 5 Nathan Sharpe, 4 Sam Wykes, 3 Tim Fairbrother, 2 Nathan Charles, 1 Kieran Longbottom Reserves: 16 Ben Whittaker, 17 Matt Dunning, 18 Tom Hockings, 19 Richard Brown, 20 Chris Cottee, 21 Mitch Inman, 22 Nick Cummins.

Highlanders: 15 Ben Smith, 14 Kade Poki, 13 Kendrick Lynn, 12 Shaun Treeby, 11 Siale Piutau, 10 Lima Sopoaga, 9 Jimmy Cowan, 8 Nasi Manu, 7 John Hardie, 6 Adam Thomson, 5 Josh Bekhuis, 4 Jarrad Hoeata, 3 Chris King, 2 Mo Schwwalger, 1 Jamie Mackintosh Reserves: 16 Jason Rutledge, 17 Bronson Murray, 18 Tom Donnelly, 19 Nick Crosswell, 20 Aaron Smith, 21 Robbie Robinson, 22 Alando Soakai.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Hope so

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Woohoo!! Was the only person to pick the force to win in our tipping comp at work!!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Sensational last 20 minute effort from the Force.

Typical game of two halves, and by that I don't mean Swanepoel and Stannard!

vCash
    swanny had an average game, passing was a little wayward, a few on the deck a couple behind the player but he recycled quick when required and marshalled the mauls well. Chucky asked questions all through the second half, obviously motivated by his yellow as he was pretty average before then. Dellit tackled like a demon and carried the ball up well and Cummo when he came on was like a honey badger after that ball.. Inman defence good but ineffective in attack. Poe again a terror at the breakdown and Sharpie owned the lineouts... if it werent for some of the silly errors that game wouldve been their best so far this year.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    We owned their scrum.

vCash
    Matty Hodgson - work rate 110% for 80+ minutes, man of match for me overall. Smith - apart from a bit of wayward kicking, showed heart and skill - how was his try saving effort, take a bow mate!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah, Stannard's kicking in the first half left a lot to be desired. That's what we really need Cam Shepherd and James O'Connor for. He more than made up for it in the second, though. I thought Swanny could have been better but he also could have been a lot worse.

Scrum was great. Dunning was tops as an impact player. I was interested to see that statistically the Highlanders line-out is the best in the competition, but then I realised that these guys play the Chiefs, Hurricanes, Blues and Crusaders twice a season. They were better in the l/o's than I had seen earlier in the season but it was pretty even there.

Cummins would be great off the bench for the Wallabies as an impact player.

I wonder what Jamie Joseph will have for dessert after his main course of eating his words.

vCash
    Great game all round for us, bit rough round the edges, but we got the result !!!, how long did we sign Ripia for?!?!?, I'm over his constant kicking, Chucky can't kick, but at least he can run the ball, Bring on the Reds, can't wait !!