Nic White's agonising Super Rugby wait is over and the back-up ACT Brumbies scrumhalf wants to prove he can be the club's next long-term No9.
And with both Josh Valentine and Patrick Phibbs off contract at the end of the season, White says he's ready to shoulder a bigger work load.

White will be named today to make his debut from the Brumbies' bench in their clash with the Queensland Reds at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday night.

It has been a frustrating wait for the 20-year-old after being told in February he was close to forcing his way into the top squad.

Some fans had hoped to see him promoted earlier in the season to add spark to the Brumbies' back line.

But after patiently biding his time on the fringes, a slight tear in Valentine's hamstring opened the door for White to finally get a call up.

White's No1 focus is helping the Brumbies cause an upset against the top-of-the-table Reds.

But he also wants to show incoming Brumbies coach Jake White he's ready to be the ACT's first-choice scrumhalf in 2012.

''For me, I want to go out there this week and hopefully the next three weeks and show that I can handle it,'' White said.

''Hopefully to show Jake White, if he's watching, that I can handle next year possibly starting and that I'm up for it.

''It's definitely a big opportunity for me to show what I can do and hopefully take that into next year.''

White is yet to meet with former World Cup-winning mentor Jack White, preferring to let his actions do the talking.

White's contract does not expire until the end of next year. However, the Brumbies will likely only carry two scrumhalves in their 30-man squad and it remains unclear who will partner him.

Valentine said his preference was to re-sign with the Brumbies. But he has not received an official offer and did not expect to have his future finalised before the end of the season.

''It's still at a stand-still to be honest,'' Valentine said. ''Nothing has been finalised, nothing has been brought forward, we're still just holding off at the moment waiting for a bit more game time.

''I'd like to be [at the Brumbies] with a new coach and new strategies, but that all depends on other things as well.''

Valentine is confident his hamstring strain will only keep him on the sideline for one match.

Scans on Monday revealed the small tear but the former Wallabies No9 has set his sights set on returning for the Brumbies' match against Melbourne next Friday. That makes White's first Super Rugby appearance even more important.

His week has already been disrupted by a 24-hour virus and his promotion to the game-day 22 means he misses his sister's engagement party on Saturday night.

White has been in selection contention since the second week of the season.

But while the Brumbies have won just two of their 13 games, Valentine and Phibbs have managed to hold on to their places in the team.

Now White just wants to make sure his first impression is a good one and he faces a massive test against Australia's premier scrumhalf Will Genia.

''The coaches have been talking to me and telling me I'm so close just about every week since round two so it's been frustrating, but it's all worth it in the end,'' White said. ''I just want to get out there and give it a crack to see if I'm good enough at that level.''

Is been selected and is a solid prospect...good pass both side good vision...

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news...px?storypage=0