Thread: Longbottom proves a real force

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Longbottom proves a real force

NICK TAYLOR, The West Australian
    May 30, 2011, 7:09 am

When the Western Force pack wheeled the Hurricanes at a five- metre scrum during Friday's Super Rugby clash, it showed just how far prop Kieran Longbottom has come since his days playing for Rockingham.

Packing down against 43-Test All Black veteran Neemia Tialata 50 minutes into the game, he sent the 127kg All Black back-pedalling.

A Wallabies jumper may still be a dream, but Force forwards coach Nick Stiles believes displays like Longbottom's at Palmerston North are putting it within his reach. Maybe not in time for this year's World Cup but in years to come.

"He is a rare commodity. He can play on both sides of the scrum," ex-Wallaby Stiles said.

"Technically he is better than most other props in Australia at the moment.

"He's packed well and stood up against a lot of internationals.

"He outscrummed (Brumbies prop) Ben Alexander and he had Tialata on the back foot. He has answered every question that's been asked of him.

"Around the field he's very strong with ball in hand and he's one of our biggest tacklers. His work rate is exceptional and (Wallabies coach) Robbie Deans has shown he wants props that have a high work rate."

Longbottom, 25, is the first born-and-raised West Australian to make the Force professional squad through their academy and the ranks of local rugby and made his run-on debut against the ACT Brumbies in Canberra this year.

Though disappointed by Friday's 34-28 loss to the Hurricanes, he was pleased with his own performance.

"It was one of the best games to play in. The scrum felt good," he said. "Tialata is a big boy with some strength. I watched the tape after the game and he got one over me but I was pretty happy with the way things went."

Like his teammates, Longbottom was surprised when, after they had wheeled the Hurricanes pack, referee Glen Jackson awarded a reset to the home side.

It was a game-changing decision. Ma'a Nonu scored his second try from the play.

"My side turned Tialata and I couldn't believe that we didn't get the decision," Longbottom said.

"We would have cleared our line and things might have been different."

As for the future, Longbottom is looking only to the next three years with the Force.

"The Wallabies is something I dream about but I'm not expecting anything," he said.

The Force stay in New Zealand for their match against the Highlanders at Carisbrook on Friday.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...-a-real-force/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I would say even maybe this year After this weekend's display and compared to the others in contention for a wallaby jumper
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    one things for sure the Aussies scrum will no longer be the perceived "weak-link" we have a wealth of talent now on both sides... the acid test will be against scrumming teams like the Boks and Engarland...

I think we'll be up to it this year!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Yup, he can scrummage, and he can carry the ball to the line. He is getting more 'street smart' as well. C'mon, Robbie! Give him a go!

Player
    vCash
    Slipper and Robinson are our leading props right now. But the reserve spot is up for grabs. Leading contenders are Sekope Kepu and Ben Alexander, but if Longbum can put together a few big performances in the coming weeks then he may be considered.

I hope so anyway.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    South Africa have long since lost their mantle as a top scrumming nation. At the moment the real danger scrums as England and France. New Zealand's is very strong too.

The Scots and Welsh have a great scrums also but are less scary elsewhere around the park.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by farva View Post
    ... but if Longbum can put together a few big performances in the coming weeks then he may be considered. I hope so anyway.
    What better stage for him to do it than against the Reds!! I really hope he takes it to Slipper like he showed up Tialata on a few occasions last week.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by farva View Post
    Slipper and Robinson are our leading props right now. But the reserve spot is up for grabs. Leading contenders are Sekope Kepu and Ben Alexander, but if Longbum can put together a few big performances in the coming weeks then he may be considered.

I hope so anyway.
    Kepu has had a great season, and if he recovers from injury there is a real case to be made to retain the Tah's front row for the run-on Wallabies side.

Alexander has been ordinary - ok around the park, but poor at scrum time.

vCash
    K-Bomb is a great chance to make the train on list......after that, anything's possible, but it's unlikely that there'll be big changes in a World Cup year, retaining combinations will be the first priority, so he'll have to show himself as a significantly better option than the incumbents to make it this year. Personally, I'd recommend him working towards next year, with strong performances and training this year.....if a WC spot comes his way, that'll be a bonus!

C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeJay View Post
    Kepu has had a great season, and if he recovers from injury there is a real case to be made to retain the Tah's front row for the run-on Wallabies side.

Alexander has been ordinary - ok around the park, but poor at scrum time.
    Kepu is having a great season. I think Slipper is the leading contender for the 3 spot. Kepu is probably going to be on the bench because he can play both sides. Alexander can too, so he would probably be the 4th prop in the squad. But that position is the one Longbum will be aiming for, as Alexander (and the whole Brumbies squad) is playing poorly.

But I would be surprised if he was. As has been said, its a world cup year and we want our strongest side, so wont bother with development players in the squad.

vCash
    I'm all for Combos. kepu has been good. Slipper is a star of the future but has been exposed in super rugby. He's been backpedalling the fields of the world this year.

Robinson, TPN, Kepu for the wallabies frontrow and Slipper or Alexander on the bench to cover loose and tight.

Controversy corner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    K-Bomb is a great chance to make the train on list......
    I can't agree. Sorry bloke. The Reds, Tahs and Brumbies are top heavy in quality props who are above K-bomb for a wallaby start

Controversy corner

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    The Reds scrum has been poor all year. Faingaa is in part responsible for that but Daley can't scrummage well enough to be with the Wallabies. Slipper is the only option there.

The Tahs have Kepu and Robinson and they'd be dead certs. Al Baxter will never wear Gold again and the Tahs other guys just don't have the experience.

The Brumbies have two quality props: Alexander and Palmer. Palmer is injured and doesn't have a high enough work rate for playing a team like the ABs. Alexander is struggling very very hard for form.

It might be a year or two too soon but Longbottom has shown he has what it takes. He wouldn't be completely out of place in the Wallabies squad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    r
    It might be a year or two too soon but Longbottom has shown he has what it takes. He wouldn't be completely out of place in the Wallabies squad.
    He would. Sorry to divert the parochialism, but he isn't up to it

Controversy corner

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Name me three players who have played better as looseheads this season out of the Australian teams.