Thread: Force in right place for repair job

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Force in right place for repair job

Cameron Shepherd From: The Sunday Times May 28, 2011 6:37PM

CLOSE BUT NO CIGAR: The Western Force played some of their best rugby of 2011 in the loss to the Hurricanes, says Cameron Shepherd. Source: AP

ON Friday night I added another new town to my rugby adventure when the Western Force played in Palmerston North, about two hours north of Wellington.

Two things stand out when you drive in to town.

First, as is common in New Zealand, rugby is everywhere.

It's a passion in NZ that's hard to miss.

Second is the amount of car repair, modification and smash repair shops that line the main streets.

This little town would have the manpower and supplies to start a stock car championship.

On that note, it was no surprise when we arrived at the ground to find it also doubled as a sprint car circuit.

I couldn't help but laugh at the thought of a rugby game and a race going at the same time.

Unfortunately, Friday's result was once again a disappointing and painful one for the club.

We played some of our best rugby for the season and I really enjoyed the way we threw the ball around and used the full width of the field.

On the one hand, we have to be thankful for great conditions, which helped.

But it's hard to look past the outstanding performance from James Stannard, starting his first game this season in the unaccustomed position of flyhalf.

His composure, direction and ability to threaten the line constantly had the Hurricanes stressed, which also opened opportunities out wide.

Anyone who's watched "Chucky" play for the Australian Sevens side would've noticed the great vision he has and his love of running rugby.

When talking about James, in the same breath and actions I have to congratulate Mark "Starsky" Swanepoel.

His nickname came about because until recently he was sporting a perm that gave him an uncanny resemblance to the '80s TV star.

There's arguably no harder position to sub into than halfback. In his debut starting performance for the Emirates Western Force, he showed wonderful composure.

Starting your first game is hard enough, let alone lining up against one of the world's best in All Black Peri Weepoo.

"Swany" stepped up brilliantly and reminded me of another former All Black, Byron Kelleher, with his aggressive style and balance.

Swany did really well during our pre-season, so it was a proud moment for the team to see him transfer the hard work into a great performance.

We travel to Dunedin this week and have another chance to prove a point against the much-improved Highlanders.

It's always a tough game at the "house of pain", but with another week under the belt for Chucky, Starsky and the rest of the boys, we all have high hopes to finish the tour on a high.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/rug...-1226064733629

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Peri Weepoo. - Cam Shepherd??
    I doubt it. That's the problem with having some AFL soaked f@ckwit of a ghostwriter taking your phone call back in Perth. FFS. But even then how could they be so uneducated??

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Unless it was deliberate...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    A 12yo journo then. Or the sense of humour of one.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David