Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Western Force vs Hurricanes: Match Report

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash

Western Force vs Hurricanes: Match Report

A plucky Force outfit have slumped to another defeat on Kiwi soil losing 34-28 to the Hurricanes. The Force had the chance to take the game at the death, but as has been so often the case this year, weren’t able to go that final 2 metres over the Hurricane’s line.

The Force drew first blood in the 2nd minute with Cameron Shepherd extending his lead on the Force’s all time highest scorers list.

The both teams looked good early on and it was the Hurricanes who crossed the chalk after some nifty interplay between Ma’a Nonu and Conrad Smith. Cruden’s conversion made the score 7-3.

The Force forwards put on a barnstorming display making constant ground through a lacklustre Hurricanes defence. The men in blue were awarded for some excellent running by captain Nathan Sharpe and stand-in stand-off James Stannard with a second Shepherd penalty.

The Force added to the tally again a few minutes later with Smith falling just short of the line only for the ball to be brought wide for Sidey to cross for his first try in Force colours. Shepherd’s conversion was good, taking the score to 13-7.

The Hurricanes added a penalty of their own through Cruden, but not long after the Force were in again with Cameron Shepherd finishing off a great build up by the Force forwards. The conversion was unsuccessful leaving the score at 18-10, where it remained until the two teams went into the sheds at halftime.

The Hurricanes came into the second half with a bit more fire in their bellies than in the first. Ten minutes of sustained pressure paid off for the home team as Nonu crashed over for his second from a 5m scrum.

Yet the Force soldiered on and re-extended their lead with a 3rd try to Ben McCalman; Stannard and Smith working brilliantly in the lead up. Cameron Shepherd’s conversion saw the score go to 25-17.

The two teams traded penalties in the 63rd and 67th minutes.

Two late tries in the 72nd and 76th minute to the Hurricanes, an all too familiar story for the Force, ended up sealing the deal. Full time score 34-28.

The Good
    While we didn't win the match, the team played with more guts than I think we've seen all year. The forwards were excellent, led by arguably the man of the match in Nathan Sharpe. He ran the line-out seamlessly and made a lot of metres trucking the ball up. The metres made by mauling from line-outs was also sensational. Probably the best effort in the maul I have ever seen from the Force. If only they could've got just one more going from that final line-out we would be cheering right now. The scrum, breakdown and general forward defence were all positives too.

How about that James Stannard hey? Stannard was a gun on attack, consistently taking the ball to the line before passing. He made good metres when he ran it himself, he kicked fairly well, and his mixed bag of passing kept the Hurricanes defence guessing. I know I'm not the only one who will want to see more of the same. Extend Stannard's contract for another 3 years. Pat Dellit, Cameron Shepherd and David Smith were also standout backs.

The Bad
    For all of the good, we didn't win. It was a game that was ours for the taking and we threw it away in the final 10 minutes. You can talk about the positives until the cows come home but until you put someone to bed it is a bit meaningless. In terms of individual players not performing or aspects of play in the game I don't think there is anywhere we can lay the blame for this loss. Our defence was generally good but those two passes out of the tackle by Cruden should not have been allowed to end up in tries.

I guess you could say we didn't make the most of our opportunities, letting a number of plays that were one pass from a try go dead. That would be fair enough. Given that we came into the game with the odds stacked enormously against us I thought it generally quite good.

The Ugly
    No really ugly. That last killed ball was immensely frustrating, but what can you do? Thankfully it didn't look like any of the Force players copped any serious injuries.

Man of the Match
    The Hurricanes didn't inspire as a team. Aaron Cruden was sharp on attack but let himself down big time on defence. Ma'a Nonu picked up a double to his credit but he also had a fairly patchy game. Chris Eaton had a fairly good game and was among the Hurricanes best. But I think Conrad Smith would have to take the cake for best player from the home side. He ran well. He tackled well. He was instrumental in two of the Canes' four tries. Good effort.

The Force, on the other hand, had a number of star performances. Sam Wykes had another excellent game. Nathan Charles impressed on 65 Roses day. McCalman, Hodgson and Pocock were their usual industrious selves. Swanepoel had a fairly decent run on debut. Stannard was a treasure to watch; it was great to finally see our attack look dangerous. Our back three and Pat Dellit also performed well with the space afforded to them by the forwards. But as I said earlier, you can't go past Nathan Sharpe for a man of the match.

Western Force game rating
    We played well. It was unfortunate that we didn't win because we certainly deserved to. That final bloody 10 minutes though. It's always funny how the Western Force game rating drops a few bars between the 70th and 80th minutes. In general, it was a solid effort from the home side. It wasn't a win but the way we played no doubt had the bookies squirming. I know TQ1 loves a good squirm. I'd give that performance a B-.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by James; 27-05-11 at 18:21.
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    boys played very well, and 3 tries, how often does that happen these days !!!, I'm over this bullshit of Ripia kicking the ball at every chance, Swanny and Stannard played great, I say give them another chance, Ripia as the benchwarmer, perhaps an insight to next year, all in all the boys can hold their heads high, robbed at the end by the inexperience of the Ref, surely that was a scrum our ball !!!

Last edited by Batto; 27-05-11 at 18:15.

vCash
    Haven't seen the game yet but why are we blaming the ref when they scored tries inside the last 10.

Looks like we lost another game for ourselves. But am happy to be proven wrong when I get home after work tonight.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I haven't seen that last minute a second time but it looked to me as though we had it at the back of the ruck cleanly and then suddenly the ball was unplayable. Unless the Hurricanes came around from an onside position, which to be honest I find unlikely, they killed the ball illegally ergo a penalty + possibly a yellow card.

Not that it matters now so no point getting upset about it.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Despite the loss, one of our best performances this season. Written off by almost everyone, the lads executed a thoughtful gameplan extremely well. Chucky Stannard was OUTSTANDING at 10, really kept the defense guessing, kicking, passing and running, and Swanepoel had a superb first game, with excellent speed of delivery and passes in front of runners. Keep them in the run on team!!!

Sharpie probably gained more metres than David Smith, who is really getting into the groove (sadly in time to leave) and Shep's return was fantastic.

Positives include the scrum, the speed of recycling and quick ball (thanks to the work of our forwards in the main), defense - against wave after wave of Canes pressure - and the consistency with which we got over the advantage line. Three meat pies is not bad going too.

Negatives were the 2 tries in the space of 5 minutes at the end, and again the inability to close it out at the end despite pounding the line. It almost looked as if we lost confidence then. Swanepoel was a bit more tentative, and other than one-out running, we lacked ideas. Shame that Hockings knocked on soon after he came on - we had the chance to mount pressure - instead they scored from the ensuing play.

Final comment - I thought Glen Jackson (ex Chiefs player) was now a ref? I didn't know he was running around as the Hurricanes 16th man...! Early engagement called against us when the contact was simultaneous (his cadence on 'crouch, pause etc' was inconsistent throughout the game), giving them the feed to the scrum 5m out when we had rotated it over the 90, and even the last ruck when he called for the scrum to end the game - the ball was visible, but clearly slowed down by the Hurricanes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Haven't seen the game yet but why are we blaming the ref when they scored tries inside the last 10.
    Because we lost and that's what we do when we lose?

vCash
    Apprently... Even though a good side puts games out of the reach of a ref's call...
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Looks to me like we've solved our number 10 problem.
    Stanard looked great out there.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    I would much rather loose like that than play with Top $ stars and draw against the brumbies

Well done boys pity we lost but it was worth watching and I don't feel any worse than last week's draw actually it was great seeing the guys having a go and getting a try from a "full back" and a try from Sidey on 12 saying that what a try from Ben Mc from 50 meters out.

This wasn't an easy game to win and even though we lost it was good to watch Mark Swanepoel and James Stannard they did better than most of what I have seen so far this season as an pair from the 9-10 combination. it might have been a bit slow from Mark but it was good ball
    Sharpie just showed again why he should be Wallaby CAPTAIN and well done to Sheps for kicking the goals. If he had more exposure earlier in the season he might have even got those other kicks that went astray.

Man if we can only have so much " play like a team" rugby every game we will be unbeatable

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MI5_Dog View Post
    Looks to me like we've solved our number 10 problem.
    Stanard looked great out there.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Mate is it that hard for Force management to realize that it just ain't about the 9 and 10 12 it is about the rest around them. The 9 and 10 did better than most I have seen this season. and even though it might have been slow ball on a couple of occasions from Mark it was good ball It was nothing spectacular but it was a massive team effort from the forwards giving front foot ball to well equipped backs and this leading to 2 tries from the backs and one from the forward running from a going forward ball.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Can't hang too much on Swanepoel. Before tonight's game he had played about only 2 minutes of Super rugby.

I thought he was ok. I'd keep Sheehan, Swanny and Turner as our 9s and start considering Stannard as a 10.

Rookie
    vCash
    Watched this one from an Irish pub in the heart of Rugby league country, Queensland very annimated and getting louder with each sip of the black. So very proud of the team tonight , they weren't given a chance by the experts and very nearly made them choke on their words. There were mistakes of course, but they really played for each other like a team tonight.
    Bitter sweet , disappionted for them, not in them.

vCash
    God write-up as usual James, though I thought you were a little harsh with only a B-. The guys played with a lot of spirit and for most of the match their defence was immense.

Swanepoel and Chucky were a revelation, formed a pretty good combination for a couple of guys who hadn't played together before. I was impressed with Swanepoel, he played with a lot of confidence for someone having his first run-on start. His quick accurate ball is whats needed and helped to give Chucky a bit of room to move. The fact that Chucky was prepared to have a go himself shows up Ripia's game as being a bit one-dimensional. I'd like to see these two given the chance to develop a comination over the remaining games of the season. I can see Chucky being able to put JOC through gaps when he comes back to play 12.

The forwards have developed into an impressive unit with Sharpie leading the way. It would be great to have another large lock to take the ball up, Wykes would make a solid no.6. We'll see what Toby Lynn brings to the table next year. Longbottom has really stood up this year and is able to mix it with the best of them.

David smith got a lot more involved and it was great to see Shep starting to get back into the swing of things again.

Even though we lost I was quite impressed with the guys tonight , especially considering the pundits were predicting a big win to the canes. The boys can be proud of themselves.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by welshrugbyfan View Post
    Halfback needs a lesson in quick play of the ball.

We had the canes at sixes and sevens and the bloody halfback would let them all get back into a defensive line because he was so god damn slow with the delivery.
    That's a bit harsh on Swanepoel. He delivered quick ball most of the night. In the last few phases no-one wanted to make a mistake (including Swanepoel) and few options were offered to him in terms of runners.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Can't hang too much on Swanepoel. Before tonight's game he had played about only 2 minutes of Super rugby.

I thought he was ok. I'd keep Sheehan, Swanny and Turner as our 9s and start considering Stannard as a 10.
    let us stop spending heaps on overpriced players and use that money to develop and retrain our own

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast