Thread: Western Force rookie ready to fill big shoes against Hurricanes

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Western Force rookie ready to fill big shoes against Hurricanes

Michael Washbourne From: PerthNow May 26, 2011 3:26PM

ROOKIE Mark Swanepoel plans to make the most of his shock call-up to the Western Force starting XV - even if he is being thrown in the deep end.

Injuries to key playmakers Willie Ripia and Brett Sheahan will see Swanepoel and fellow reserve back James Stannard filling some pretty big shoes when the Force take on the Hurricanes in tomorrow’s nights clash at FMG Stadium in Palmerston North.

Young star James O’Connor will also miss the clash, with Rory Sidey to occupy the No.12 spot.

Swanepoel, 20, has just one Super Rugby game to his credit, coming off the bench in the Force’s 28-15 loss to the Bulls in Perth last season.

South African-born Swanepoel said he was excited to finally be making his run-on debut in Super Rugby after two frustrating years watching from the sidelines.

“It’s something I’ve been working towards for a couple of seasons now and to get my opportunity is great and I hope to make the most of it,” he said.

“My dad is coming over to watch and I know the rest of the family will be huddled around the TV on Friday watching from home. I know they’re excited as well.”

Swanopoel said he and Stannard were not fazed at the prospect of taking on the important scrumhalf and flyhalf roles despite their limited experience.

Stannard, the reigning Australian Sevens player of the year, has made only 19 appearances for the Force, mostly off the bench, and is typically suited to playing the role of scrumhalf.

The 28-year-old will pull on the No.9 jersey tomorrow night in what will be just the second time he has done so for the Perth club, the only other time coming during a pre-season game earlier this year.

“I played 10 for the Manly Marlins in the Shute Shield and I can understand what James is going through moving from 9 to 10, but he certainly has the skill set to do well there and I think we’re going to go well together,” Swanepoel said.

“You train week-in and week-out knowing that anything can pop up and that circumstances change.

“I don’t think either of us feels out of place and as a team across the field we’re ready to put in a good performance.”

Injuries have also cruelled the Force forward pack. Pek Cowan (cheekbone) and Gene Fairbanks (muscle strain) are sidelined, with Kieran Longbottom and Tim Fairbrother to take over the loosehead and tighthead prop duties.

But the 23-man squad which travelled to Palmerston North is confident of upsetting the Hurricanes on home soil despite the shocking weather conditions that have dogged the city in the past few days.

“It has been pretty wet, but having had some time to get acclimatised has been positive,” Swanepoel said.

“While you have to take the conditions into account and have plans in place we’re confident that we can play well whatever the weather on the night.

“We know that the Hurricanes are going to be up for the game and will bring a strong intensity to the contest, but we also have plenty to get out of the game and go into it eager for the challenge.”

Tomorrow’s match gets underway at 3.35pm Perth time.

Head to Head: Played 5, Hurricanes 4, Force 1

In Palmerston North: N/A

Last clash: Round 2, 2010 - Hurricanes 47 beat Force 22 at Westpac Stadium

Betting (Sports Alive): Hurricanes $1.09, Force $8.00

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/rug...-1226063602766

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Injuries have also cruelled the Force forward pack. Pek Cowan (cheekbone) and Gene Fairbanks (muscle strain) are sidelined, with Kieran Longbottom and Tim Fairbrother to take over the loosehead and tighthead prop duties.
    hmmmmmmmm, and I thought Gene was small for a back!

C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    great odds $8.00

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    You can't not be on the Force on those odds.

Sure our backline won't be flash BUT those guys are big and I'm sure they can contain the power of the Hurricanes. The Canes have shown this year that they can get really really loose and really really lazy if they think they are in control. If the conditions don't suit the running rugby, and the Canes forwards get up to old tricks, we might clinch it with a boring kickfest penalty-a-thon with a bit of the rub of the green.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Good luck getting those odds. Even the vBookie is not that crazy!!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Redistribute some of that 40 million Gerry. Bring out that little bit of communist in you. God knows Gigs could use a leg up

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I'd've said $8 probably reflected the reality of the situation unless the backline figures it has nothing to lose and takes the opportunity to express themselves. Given our form this year, the last thing the 'Canes would expect is some hard, straight, ball-in-hand running at 10/12. Realistically though, they probably won't expect the ball to get out that far either and with good reason.

vCash
    so, i havent seen the game yet, but some people have said we had quick ball, and some have claimed that there wasnt enough quick ball.

did this happen as swaneopel got tired? or was he hot and cold all night?

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    There were times when it was quick and times when it was slow. After some of the mauling the first couple of phases, when he knew exactly what the play was and where Stannard was, he was pretty swift with getting the ball out and had a fairly speedy pass. But as the phases wore on it did slow down a bit. I think the fact that Stannard and Swanny only started training together on Wednesday contributed a bit to that.

Sometimes it was quick and sometimes it wasn't so much so. I rated his performance all things considered though.

vCash
    Was that the ball just Being slow to get to the back of the rucks as well? Or was he sitting there with his hands over it looking for standard?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Bit of both. It was a pretty mixed bag. Generally good though I thought. We have been guilty at times of playing too slow and too reckless. We had the Canes on the ropes for much of the match so it didn't hurt too much to keep his cool. It was probably our finishing that let us down most. A couple of times David Smith fell down after a break (understandly as he was unbalanced from a fend or an attempted tackle) but noone was there for the offload. Sam Wykes couldn't get an offload to Matt Hodgson (I think) near the end of the first half that would've seen him cross and given us a 15 point lead at half time.

vCash
    Fair enough. Thanks for the run Down James. Hopefully I'll get to watch the game tonight!
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BDAVEY View Post
    great odds $8.00
    I nearly hit pay dirt. My bones told me there was something special in the making........perhaps it was just arthritis

Controversy corner