Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Run on Squad Announced for Hurricanes Clash

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Run on Squad Announced for Hurricanes Clash

Emirates Western Force Coach Richard Graham has made six changes to his run-on side, five of them forced through injury, but importantly has been able to maintain an impressive forward pack for the club’s clash with the Hurricanes on Friday night in Palmerston North.

With regular flyhalf Willie Ripia, utility back James O’Connor, scrumhalf Brett Sheehan, centre Gene Fairbanks and prop Pek Cowan all out of last week’s side with injury, Graham has reshuffled his side including a new halfback pairing of James Stannard and Mark Swanepoel.

The majority of moves have come in the backs with changes to the forward kept to a minimum.

The all Wallaby backrow of Matt Hodgson, David Pocock and Ben McCalman will start, while fellow test capped loose forward Richard Brown returns to add extra firepower from the bench.

Up-front, fast developing West Australian prop Kieran Longbottom takes the place of Pek Cowan who broke his cheekbone last Saturday, while on the other side of the scrum the experienced Tim Fairbrother returns.

With conditions in Palmerston North expected to be wet and windy it will be a game where the forwards will have a big say in the outcome.

“We had a good session in Wellington today and trained in conditions that we’ll face on Friday night,” Graham said.

“The nature of our forward pack is competitive and gritty and particularly in these types of conditions it is crucial for them to build a platform which we can build from.”

While the unfortunate influx of injuries has added some additional challenges leading into the game, Graham said the feeling within the camp was upbeat and preparations remained focussed on getting a winning outcome on Friday night.

Stannard, the reigning Australian Sevens ‘Player of the Year’, will take the key playmaker reins and looked comfortable in partnership with Swanepoel throughout today’s session.

“The boys walked off the track today happy with our preparations and you could see that the way James was communicating and organising the group was very good,” Graham said.

“Going from nine to 10 is certainly going to be a change in how he approaches the game however it is a position James is familiar with and comfortable playing having spent a lot time there at various stages of his football life.”

Hurricanes v Emirates Western Force

Friday, 27 May 2011 at FMG Stadium, Palmerston North (New Zealand)
    Kick-off: 3.35pm (AWST)

1. Kieran Longbottom
    2. Nathan Charles
    3. Tim Fairbrother
    4. Sam Wykes
    5. Nathan Sharpe (Captain)
    6. Matt Hodgson
    7. David Pocock
    8. Ben McCalman

9. Mark Swanepoel
    10. James Stannard
    11. David Smith
    12. Rory Sidey
    13. Patrick Dellit
    14. Nick Cummins
    15. Cameron Shepherd

Reserves
    16. Ben Whittaker
    17. Matt Dunning
    18. Tom Hockings
    19. Richard Brown
    20. Chris Cottee
    21. Mitch Inman
    22. Alfie Mafi

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Stannard usually played at 10 when he was with Palmyra in 2006/7 and played for Pally against Wanneroo in that position two weekends ago.

He''ll go well.

vCash
    Hope you are correct F - he has nothing to loose and everything to gain - wish him and the rest of the team well - as a very strong team player he really will be in a position to get the most from them all

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Veteran
    vCash
    yeah im a little excited to see what they can do. I'm hoping that they at least have some attack, which we haven't had any of so far...

Senior Player
    vCash
    Good forward pack. They'll need to be up for it. Conditions will be like at the World Cup come September.

Backs ok esp back 3. Main issue will be the halves pairing linking backs and forwards. I for one would have liked to see Shep in the pivot role to see how he goes, and Dellit at fullback, Inman and Sidey in the centres.

Still, good that Swanepoel is getting a run.

vCash
    I think the backline will go well. A team of talented players absolutely busting a gut to get a start..........no Ripia who is a useless shite and no O'Connor (my head's up my @ss and I can't decide between the Brumbies, Reds and Rabbles.....how much again?). These lads are capable and fearless and have been biding their time waiting for an opportunity. I'm so confident we'll beat those belters, I'm going to put my balls on the line and put $1000 on the Force to win.

Dead set

Controversy corner

vCash
    Finally we get to see stannard at 10! A shame we dont get to see him combine with Sheehan and JOC but I really hope he does well. Same with Swanepoel! Hopefully they step up like Dellit has. Give them a few games to get it together.
    Hoping next year we see Turner and Stannard together!

vCash
    oooww.. JOC stayed home to announce his departure...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    oooww.. JOC stayed home to announce his departure...
    living on the edge MUDDIE you might just get send to the sin bin for a while

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Looking forward to watching how this combination goes, it is a glimpse at 2012.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    yeah im a little excited to see what they can do. I'm hoping that they at least have some attack, which we haven't had any of so far...

Cuz, I love you, I really do. But seriously it doesn't take a Rugby genius of Growdenesque stature to figure out that attack will not and can not be a part of our game plan.

In a perfect world with the right cattle yes.

The game is a defensive system hit out. Fending off the raids.

After all, what else can we do?

Defense is all we can work on at this stage.

It would be nice if JOC made his farking mind up then we could use games like this to practice attack.

Flogged we will be.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Off the bandwagon already?
    We haven't lost or won yet, that's a record even for you ya blouse
    Posted via Mobile Device

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronski Beat View Post
    But seriously it doesn't take a Rugby genius of Growdenesque stature to figure out that attack will not and can not be a part of our game plan.

In a perfect world with the right cattle yes.

The game is a defensive system hit out. Fending off the raids.

After all, what else can we do?

Defense is all we can work on at this stage.

It would be nice if JOC made his farking mind up then we could use games like this to practice attack.

Flogged we will be.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I'm not so sure about that. This will be a forwards dominated clash, in wet and windy conditions. If our forwards step up, we may well be in it. Then with some territory, all it will take is a little spark from the right quarter to get over the chalk. A territory dominated game, with no running it out of the 22, but not only defense IMHO....

vCash
    BB youre such a defeatest/glass half empty type of chap arent you? there is no reason to think that Stannard & Swanepoel cant fire, Stannard was Australia's strike weapon in the Sevens last year and Swanepoel has an opportunity to deliver that he wont be passing up. we also still have our regular starters at 11/13/14 and 15.. with two handy bench players as cover, the new boys are an unknown but i doubt they will get much game time unless we have an injury early.

i see our pack dominating like they did last weekend and our line "playing whats in front of them" to steal a phrase from Deans.

vCash
    Forcast some showers and been raining for days at Palmerston North. Cold, slippery and with soft ground... Time to Play 10 man rugby, played it in the forwards where the Force are a chance. Goaling kicking key for a win... David Smith up against his old squad will have some insights... Stannard is an intelligent player, he'll steer the lads well. Kick all day... Nonu is looking for form and will be a menace as he’s sick of reading about the $BW success in the papers…

Last edited by mudskipper; 26-05-11 at 10:23.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast