Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Contrary to popular belief, Ewen McKenzie has not coached his last game with Queensla

vCash

Contrary to popular belief, Ewen McKenzie has not coached his last game with Queensla

Contrary to popular belief, Ewen McKenzie has not coached his last game with Queensland Reds.

McKenzie will again be head coach of the Reds in 2013, with Western Force recruit Richard Graham to essentially be an assistant coach.

When news broke of Graham's controversial appointment in early April, it was reported he would be head coach with McKenzie becoming a "director of coaching".

Now, though, it is clear McKenzie will have the bigger clipboard next season.

The Reds were eliminated from the Super Rugby finals on Saturday with a 30-17 loss to the Durban-based Sharks at Suncorp Stadium.

They will begin their pre-season in early October, with Graham, already living in Brisbane, to begin official work with the Reds in late September.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
    End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
    Defensive mentor Matt Taylor recently accepted a full-time position with Scotland.

Graham will take over Taylor's role next season, before upgrading to head coach in 2014, when McKenzie will be either a Wallabies coach or a high-ranking Reds official.

McKenzie said 2013 would be a year of transition for the coaching staff. "I will still be travelling to all the games and doing all the game-day things. Nothing much will change," McKenzie said.

"We need to bring Richard up to speed on what this organisation is all about.

"Next year will be about him learning how we do business.

"A few titles have changed, but my role will be the same.

"I've been here for three years now. I'm sure we will modify a few things, but I am still coach.

"There's no confusion for us - people just assumed a few things."

McKenzie said he had already begun planning for next year.

That was evident 10 minutes after the full-time whistle sounded last Saturday, when McKenzie and Reds captain Will Genia were still involved in an animated discussion surrounding game strategy.

The pair were pointing to various parts of the field, anguishing over wrong options taken and what could be done better next time.

Super Rugby Beaten Brigade
    Failures: Where did it all go wrong?
    McKenzie then spent the early hours of Sunday morning dissecting the game against the Sharks, analysing the stat sheet and drawing conclusions.

There were no season-ending wild celebrations, or boozy think tanks, nor will there be.

"I just watched the game tape back, did some analysis and went to bed," McKenzie said.

"There wasn't a lot to celebrate after that result.

"I'll have some quiet drinks with staff soon."

While McKenzie's job will not change, rumours continue to circle NSW Waratahs coach Michael Foley will head west to sit in the chair Graham left empty.

Foley steered the Waratahs to a streak of eight losses, but he is regarded as an excellent man manager who has not been properly supported during his current role.

Did RG see this coming

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    A whole year to learn how the Reds do business???? He must be slower than I thought! Either that or they need that long to bring RG up to speed on how to be a decent S15 coach?

vCash
    I thought the same thing.
    Just goes to show he should never have been promoted to coach for the Force.

May the FORCE be with you!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    I actually thought RG took the reins from Ewan just as Lucas got injured on Saturday

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    I actually thought RG took the reins from Ewan just as Lucas got injured on Saturday
    I see what you did there

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    12months learning from one of the best.. Link will still be at the Reds in 2014 when required as well

vCash
    A lot of people thought Graham had taken over early when Genia was shifted to flyhalf on the weekend, as InnFORCEr said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    12months learning from one of the best.. Link will still be at the Reds in 2014 when required as well
    Being one of the best didnt help him on sat when he made one of the worst call every in moving Genia to 10.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    Link's Bitch !

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    Contrary to popular belief, Ewen McKenzie has not coached his last game with Queensland Reds.

McKenzie will again be head coach of the Reds in 2013, with Western Force recruit Richard Graham to essentially be an assistant coach.
    Maybe a light has gone on at the Reds and they now realise how shit Richard actually is ...........

vCash
    What if they try and snap up Foley as well !!!

vCash
    Succession planning is the smarter way of conducting their business. Kudos to them when Link finally does step aside. We're still looking for a replacement coach how many weeks on?
    When Blackadder took over from Dingo it was a pretty smooth process.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    Being one of the best didnt help him on sat when he made one of the worst call every in moving Genia to 10.
    But he still took a team who finished wooden spoon only a few seasons before to consecutive final series and a super rugby championship...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    Foley steered the Waratahs to a streak of eight losses, but he is regarded as an excellent man manager who has not been properly supported during his current role.
    And Morgan Turinui has a great Rugby brain...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoolly Doolly View Post
    Succession planning is the smarter way
    Yeah, worked a treat when the ARU "encouraged" RugbyWA to plan succession from Mitchell to Graham. Damned inspirational that.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast