Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: James O'Connor's choice based on football

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I'm a big believer that the Wallabies need two bigger ball runners/power defenders at 12 and 13. Quade Cooper's passing is good enough that 12 doesn't need to be a ball player, especially with Beale and O'Connor is the back three and able to pop up when necessary. With those two there, oppositions can't afford to pressure Cooper out of the game. I noticed a couple of tests last year where Cooper would throw his little pop passes to guys who weren't big enough to make the most of the few seconds of defensive uncertainty (it was Giteau and Barnes I think). A bigger guy would also ensure the midfield defence a bit- which would be absolutely essential against the likes of England in a RWC match.

Although I severely detest one Mark Gerrard, I wouldn't mind Deans thinking long and hard about a AAC/Gerrard, Gerrard/AAC, Mortlock/AAC, AAC/Mortlock midfield. Gerrard's main weakness, his speed, is less of a problem closer to the ruck and if the game turns into a kick-a-thon he is a good go to guy for tactical kicking. Ioane would be an option at 13 too, however with Mitchell out we need him in the OBs.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Was looking at Mortlock playing last week and agree someone like him with his maturity and intensity would be a good option for the RWC - especially with all that speed around agree wholeheartedly about the need for some big bruising backs

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I'm a big believer that the Wallabies need two bigger ball runners/power defenders at 12 and 13. Quade Cooper's passing is good enough that 12 doesn't need to be a ball player, especially with Beale and O'Connor is the back three and able to pop up when necessary.
    I've been very impressed with Pat Dellit at 13. In fact I wouldn't mind seeing him at 12 for the Force with Cummins at 13 and JOC at 14 or 15

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I'm still pushing the Shepherd at 12, O'Connor at 15 line. Don't mind where Cummins and Dellit go but preferably Cummins on the wing and Dellit at 13.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    I don’t know how the rest of you guys are feeling about the JO'C situation but I must applaud his professionalism and maturity in the way he is dealing with the media and the obvious stress he must be under.

Either way what ever his decision I think I will respect him for that and hold no grudges if he does decide to go like I have for other players who will go unnamed.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandgroperrugby View Post
    I don’t know how the rest of you guys are feeling about the JO'C situation but I must applaud his professionalism and maturity in the way he is dealing with the media and the obvious stress he must be under.

Either way what ever his decision I think I will respect him for that and hold no grudges if he does decide to go like I have for other players who will go unnamed.
    Hear, Hear, could not agree more.

He is showing maturity beyond his years. Hope he stays though together with Bam bam two high class individuals with good standards, to lead us in years ahead.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash

Yeah, that must be really hard when every journalist under the sun is trying to paint you as a money hungry ass kisser just in case you don't sign for whichever franchise they have theorized

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    latest rumour is that he is going to sign a 2 year deal with the Reds

unfortunately my informant has been on the money in the past(esp with the QC saga)

Don't take racing tips off your informer Gunty.......

Hasta la vista Pam

vCash

Is there a grudge in your future now?

C'mon the

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Is there a grudge in your future now?
    Those things I was applauding him for ie professionalism and maturity quickly evaporated when seeing the list of demands for the ewf. I hold no grudge but just shake my head in disbelief that an employee can be that poorly advised in a contract negotiation. The guy can play rugby and will be outstanding during the rwc but alas not so again for the force.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    It would be pretty hard to hold a grudge at O'Connor over this. Sure its displeasing and he could have handled it better, but its a first for him. Give him a chance to learn from the experience. If he follows in the foot steps of certain other players and continues to be a douche at international and/or provincial level, then we can start up the grudge. Or if he says something stupid in the media before we play the Rebels next.

I actually really like the path Drew Mitchell has taken since leaving the Force. He has really worked on his defence and he seems to have a much better attitude.

Veteran
    vCash
    yep, as much as i hated it, Mitchell has well and truely earnt everyone here's respect.

go well mitch, and JOC, i hope you can get better, where to put him in such a small ausssie line-up.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    Mitchell has well and truely earnt everyone here's respect.
    Not mine - that completely evaporated when he point blank admitted that he just went through the motions while at the Force.

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Not mine - that completely evaporated when he point blank admitted that he just went through the motions while at the Force.
    fair enough, but he has done the hard yards and become a good rugby player.

vCash
    I'm with Palitu re Drew, He was a massive douche when at the Force, but a new attitude at a new team has caused me to re think my attitude to him. He's certainly a good player now that he's given up the pretentious fairy-boy thing.

I guess that's an answer for those who criticise us for being fair weather fans....we don't hate everybody who leaves the Force, only the ones who act like a twat whilst doing so!

C'mon the

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3