Thread: Longbottom Signs For Another 2 Years

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Thumbs up Longbottom Signs For Another 2 Years

Emerging Emirates Western Force prop Kieran Longbottom has been rewarded for his continued development with a further two year extension at the Perth based club.

Longbottom is the first born and bred West Australian player to progress into the Emirates Western Force Super Rugby ranks and the new deal will see him remain in WA until at least the end of the 2014 season.

After taking up the game as a 13 year old at All Saints College in Bull Creek he joined the Rockingham U14’s and then progressed through the West Australian junior grades into state representative sides, the Bankwest Academy and ultimately Super Rugby.

“Coming through the local system was great and to be able to have the chance to take your rugby into the best provincial competition in the world in your home state is amazing and I really want to do the club proud,” Longbottom said.

“I think there is a lot of exciting talent in the local competitions here. The pathway is there for those that want to take it and it is up to them to stick with it and really focus on what they want because you can achieve it.”

Longbottom made his run-on debut last weekend in the club’s win against the Brumbies and showed his versatility by playing both sides of the scrum at various times through the 80 minutes.

After debuting in 2008 he has used the last few seasons to hone his skills and taken heed of the knowledge passed on by some quality front row exponents, including new Forwards Coach & former Wallaby Nick Stiles, and now feels ready to put all that into practise.

“I think I have made big strides this season, I guess it has been some time coming. I had those formative years as an apprentice training and playing alongside some great props at the club. I feel as though I have matured a lot in the last year and feel confident in myself that I can compete and gain spots in the match day squads through my abilities, it’s a nice feeling,” said Longbottom.

“We have a great coaching structure here, Nick Stiles has come in this season and he is a world class prop having represented the Wallabies and the Reds for many, many years. The opportunities and expertise on offer here is excellent and I think the best environment in the country.”

Head Coach Richard Graham said the success of Longbottom is a credit to the development pathways that have been established in WA rugby and believes he is the first of many talented local players who will make the progression to the top.

“As a West Australian product in our programme we’re very proud to see Kieran take the opportunities that have been presented to him. He understands that there is still plenty to learn but he is willing to commit to that and to work hard to ensure he becomes the best player possible,” said Graham

“He had a great pre-season and has taken that determination and confidence in his abilities into the Super Rugby season and is producing his most consistent performances.

“It’s a credit not only to Kieran for his work over the last number of years but also to Dwayne Nestor and the Bankwest RugbyWA Academy programme. Kieran demonstrates there is a very clear pathway for players in Western Australia who are good enough to play Super Rugby.”

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Onya K-Bomb

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    ??? I thought we already knew this? Didn't we?

http://twf.com.au/showthread.php?t=2...ght=longbottom

vCash
    The Hooker so nice, we signed him twice!

Yeah - you're right, press release mix up on my end

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    The Hooker so nice, we signed him twice!

Yeah - you're right, press release mix up on my end
    Really embarassing - he's a prop!

vCash
    I blame the drugs

vCash
    Where can I get what you're on?