Thread: Western Force winger Nick Cummins models himself on the honey badger

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Western Force winger Nick Cummins models himself on the honey badger

Iain Payten From: The Daily Telegraph May 06, 2011 12:00AM

Half man, half badger: Western Force winger Nick Cummins. Picture: Daniel Wilkins Source: The Daily Telegraph
    AS Nick Cummins tells it, he'd been searching his whole life for the honey badger.

"I had been looking for an animal that I would like to resemble," he explains.

"I was on Animal Planet one night and this thing has come up. It's an absolute machine, it has no natural predators and is the size of a house cat. I just thought: "This is me. I need to be a badger."

The Western Force winger was so inspired by the honey badger, in an interview soon after he spoke of his intention to play more like the fear- less animal.

A legend was born.

The story ran coast-to-coast and Cummins - already far from a cookie-cutter footy player with his curly mullet - was quickly renamed The Badger by fans and Force teammates alike. No drama, said Cummins this week.

"The boys give it to me but once they look up the animal they are really impressed," Cummins explains. "I sat there and looked at him on the TV running around doing his thing, and I just went, 'I want what he has'."

Cummins alerted Australia to a cult following worldwide of the honey badger. As made famous by YouTube, the animal eats cobras, ferociously defends itself against lions and arrows bounce off its hide. It's described as either the bravest or dumbest animal alive.

"And that's the beauty of it. People don't know. They don't know what he's going to do," Cummins laughs.

Fear not. While Cummins is as a unique character, the affable Randwick winger keeps his tongue firmly in his cheek most of the time and is a very popular team member of the Force.

Indeed, it's this willingness to have a joke that the Waratahs may need to be wary of ahead of their clash with the Perth men at the SFS tomorrow night.

After a frustrating start to the season where they lost several winnable games, Cummins said the secret to a recent form revival by the Force had been a lighter approach to life.

"After we lost to the Rebels [by one point] we had a bit of a sit down, a few crisis talks and the whole bit. We came up with this plan to enjoy footy more, to give positive feedback ... it was a chance to encourage blokes rather than have a crack at them, and I think it's really showing in the results," Cummins said.

After beating the Brumbies in Canberra and then knocking off the defending champion Bulls, the Force went within minutes of beating the heavyweight Crusaders side last weekend.

"There has been a change of mindset, there is more belief in the club now," Cummins said.

The Force may only be a mathematical long-shot of making the finals but the winger says his side is like "Rocky Balboa - never count us out". Been sprinting up stairs in training?

"Yeah, we've been to the meat markets, going through a few cows and giving them touch-ups," Cummins adds.

Cummins, 23, has personal goals as well this season. A former Sevens star and Wallabies training squad regular, the tackle-busting winger-cum-centre hopes his form will see him in contention for a World Cup squad spot.

With Drew Mitchell injured, a strong performance in front of Robbie Deans tomorrow night will go a long way to staking a claim.

Cummins is not afraid to mix it up to get what he wants. That's what a honey badger would do.

"I just like to look at his face, during the contact or during any sort of attack, and there's only one thing on his mind: 'I will win.' "

@iainpayten

payteni@dailytelegraph.com.au

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226050752555

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Veteran
    vCash
    classic

vCash
    I thought this was going to be a cheap rehash of the previous article......pleasantly surprised!

C'mon the

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I thought this was going to be a cheap rehash of the previous article......pleasantly surprised!
    yeah me too

vCash
    ive always liked Cullet, been my Second fav player behind Spanniforth.. hes had a few quiet matches in attack but his crashing sideline tackles in defence have been beautiful to watch... go Badger!!

[YOUTUBE][ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg"]YouTube - The Crazy Nastyass Honey Badger (original narration by Randall)[/ame][/YOUTUBE]

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Classic clip!

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    [YOUTUBE]EIyixC9NsLI[/YOUTUBE]

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    ive always liked Cullet, been my Second fav player behind Spanniforth.. hes had a few quiet matches in attack but his crashing sideline tackles in defence have been beautiful to watch... go Badger!!
    After watching your clip, I think he suits the Badger tag as Cullet's pretty fearless. Hope he puts in some big hits on Cross and Turner tonight.

vCash
    why do they call him mona? and am I correct in assuming cullet is from curly mullet? please explain

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    why do they call him mona? and am I correct in assuming cullet is from curly mullet? please explain
    You guess correctly.

Was coined by one or two of our lady members and then plagiarised by those Fox commentators who lurk around here from time to time looking for ideas.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Annoying that whilst watching that video, I got ads for Smelbourne Rebels and Waratahds.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Can I have that minute back please BnB?
    A little too much fungii consumption going on there I think!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    badger badger is a cult video for geeks.. personally i dont get it.

Veteran
    vCash
    mushroom mushroom!