Thread: Pocock-du Plessis make up as SANZAR probes grab

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Pocock-du Plessis make up as SANZAR probes grab

NICK TAYLOR, The West Australian
    March 9, 2011, 10:28 am

UPDATE: Super Rugby's governing body is investigating the incident in Saturday's Western Force loss to the Sharks that left Force star flanker David Pocock sidelined for up to six weeks.

Pocock, who will be out for up to six weeks with medial ligament strain in his right knee, was caught in a ruck as Sharks prop Jannie du Plessis grabbed his head and pulled him backwards.

SANZAR told The West Australian they had not received an official complaint but would begin an inquiry today.

A war of words blew up over the incident, although that seems to have cooled.

The normally reserved Pocock was clearly upset when he later tweeted: “Next time, I’ll break your f*cking neck." - Jannie du Plessis, Sharks prop and all-round nice guy. Haha, what a good bloke....”

But today he tweeted: "Got a call from Jannie du Plessis last night - ended up having a good chat. No hard feelings. All sorted. Gd luck to Sharks v the Rebels."

However, that may not be enough to prevent the inquiry into the incident that was missed by New Zealand rookie referee Keith Brown.

Brown, who later sent off Force centre Rory Sidey and yellow carded winger Nick Cummins, did not stop play and the Sharks scored their first try.

Du Plessis, a 118kg doctor, is described in the Sharks player guide as someone who “relishes the opportunity to mix it up with the opposition”.

Ironically Pocock’s initial outburst came as Sharks coach John Plumtree claimed it was the Force who were deliberately confrontational in Saturday’s 39-12 defeat.

“We’re disappointed that the Force looked like they came out to give us a physical hard time, they had talked about a physical battle all through the week and clearly they got over-emotional in some of the collisions,” he said on the club’s website.

The Sharks said they knew nothing about Pocock's claims.

Meanwhile the Force are preparing to take on the Blues on Saturday when flanker Richard Brown and fullback Cameron Shepherd will play their 50th Super games for the club.

The Auckland-based side will bring an open, counter attacking game to nib Stadium.

“The Blues gave been playing the same style of rugby for as long as I’ve been watching them,” Shepherd said.

“They love to run the ball. They love to offload and they’ve got some really exciting players when they’ve got a one-on-one competition.”

Brown said the defensive line had to hold its structure against the Blues.

“Kick chase is big for us, for our back three, with the likes of (winger Joe) Rokocoko,” he said.

“If we don’t defend well and don’t play a structured style of football it will be a tough day at the office.”

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...r-probes-grab/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Interesting that Sidey got sent off and cited within days, pock has to verbally abuse his mugger online to get sanzar to "look into it" I'll bet London to a brick that the inquiry finds no case to answer.........and rabbit was manhandled in the same way, are they looking into that?

C'mon the

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    has any one got what happened to Rabbit on a video grab?

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Interesting that Sidey got sent off and cited within days, pock has to verbally abuse his mugger online to get sanzar to "look into it" I'll bet London to a brick that the inquiry finds no case to answer.........and rabbit was manhandled in the same way, are they looking into that?
    Interesting?! It's bloody disgraceful. They should've looked at it properly.

What makes me feel really sick is the audacity of John Plumtree (Knob) and Rugby365 etc who suggested it was the Force who were 'nasty', 'unnecessarily rough' or 'spiteful'. We are generally speaking the cleanest team in Super rugby (least yellow/red cards from 2006-2011 I think). We got as good as we gave.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Even if they bothered to have a look, hasn't it been left long enough that the citing period is over?

vCash
    I think it is all the Cullets fault, with his ungentlemanly robust tackling.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I thought SANZAR reviewed each match on the Monday and were entitled to bring bookings then?

Bam will probably get an extra two weeks for "Texting unbecoming" or some crap with the good Doctor getting off with a slap on the wrist.
    Must have been trying for a new patient...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.