Thread: Just heard Pek has signed 3 yr contract

vCash

Thumbs up Just heard Pek has signed 3 yr contract

Your turn Rabbit !

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Excellent. You don't see many 3 year contracts these days. Pek is a pretty handy prop to have.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Emirates Western Force prop Pek Cowan will be one of the cornerstones on which the club’s set piece will be built after committing to a new three year deal that will see him remain in Perth until the end of the 2014 season.

An Australian Schoolboys representative, Cowan progressed to the national U19’s where he was named the Players’ Player and upgraded to the U21’s set-up before heading west just six months after finishing high school. He arrived in Perth for the club’s inaugural season in 2006 and hasn’t looked back.

“Perth is where I see my rugby really taking off,” Cowan said.

“I was given a fantastic opportunity here to play Super Rugby and was able to use that to push for a Wallabies position.

“My main focus this year was to play consistently well and the feedback I’ve been getting from the coaches has been positive. I want to get better and better and I feel that this is the right environment for me to do that.”

The24 year old has a young family, two boys, Jackson 2 ˝ and Harper 1 ˝, and their welfare was paramount in Cowan’s decision making process to stay in WA.

“My family and rugby are the two most important things in my life and thankfully the needs of both are fulfilled here,” Cowan said.

“I think things have evolved for the better at the club this season. Having Richard (Graham) here now and new coaching staff like Nick Stiles has been great. There is a really great team environment as well as family environment and those were two big keys for me.”

Cowan is the third member of the club’s front row to commit to new deals recently, following on from hooker Ben Whittaker and fellow prop Kieran Longbottom, and believes the collective strengths of that group can greatly benefit the club going forward.

“I think we have a fantastic mix for Super Rugby, a combination of good size and good mobility. We’ll all be able to continue to learn together and that is an exciting prospect for me and a big reason why I wanted to stay,” said Cowan.

Head Coach Richard Graham is delighted to have Cowan commit to a long term deal and believes there is significant upside to be gained from the talented front rower.

“We have spoken about wanting to create a competitive environment where players can realise their potential. While we can provide the environment the player must choose whether they’re going to work hard to be the very best they can be and Pek’s performances this season suggest that he is doing just that,” Graham said.

“He has been performing at consistently at a high level and retaining Pek is important for us in building a side that has depth and the right mixture of personalities to support each other through the good times and also the challenging times.

“Any side that is going to win things needs to have the foundation up front and in Pek, Ben Whittaker and Kieran Longbottom who have all re-signed this year, along with Nathan Charles, we feel we have the core group of a very good front row.”

Cowan has made great use of the development pathways available in the Emirates Western Force programme making his debut in 2006 and in just four years went from schoolboys representative to a capped Wallaby.

“The World Cup is in the back of the minds of everyone who is currently playing Super Rugby and to push my case for inclusion in that side is definitely one of my goals however first and foremost it is all about playing well for the Emirates Western Force,” said Cowan.

“If the club goes well and I’m consistently contributing in a positive way then it can’t do me or anyone else in the team any harm in terms of national team ambitions.”

http://www.rugbywa.com.au/NewsEvents...5/Default.aspx

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Great news, well done Pek

I am really liking a future with Pek, Ben and Kieran, with the young guns putting selection pressure on in the next couple of seasons.

It might not be translating into Clubland as yet but I get the sense that we are starting to see a real long term culture evolving among a core group of players. Over time, from these players who chose to make Perth a home after their playing days, we will have to see an increased "Rugby culture" in the state and an increase in player involvement at Club and community level. A case of "from little things, big things grow".

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Force 22 definites for 2012 as of 29th of April:

1. Pek Cowan
    2. Ben Whittaker
    3. Kieran Longbottom
    4. Sam Wykes
    5. Nathan Sharpe
    6. Matt Hodgson
    7. David Pocock
    8. Ben McCalman
    9. Justin Turner
    10. Willie Ripia
    12. Gene Fairbanks
    13. Pat Dellit (unless he activates his clause)
    14. Nick Cummins
    15. Cameron Shepherd

16. Nathan Charles

Pretty healthy looking. Would be very healthy looking if O'Connor stays on board. Still in need of a few more outside backs and to hold onto Sidey and Mafi. Depending on whether Dunning stays, we'll need a prop or two also.

Champion
    vCash
    Great Neddies Club Man. Pek is always happy to help out at the club....

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Force 22 definites for 2012 as of 29th of April:

1. Pek Cowan
    2. Ben Whittaker
    3. Kieran Longbottom
    4. Sam Wykes
    5. Nathan Sharpe
    6. Matt Hodgson
    7. David Pocock
    8. Ben McCalman
    9. Justin Turner
    10. Willie Ripia
    12. Gene Fairbanks
    13. Pat Dellit (unless he activates his clause)
    14. Nick Cummins
    15. Cameron Shepherd

16. Nathan Charles

Pretty healthy looking. Would be very healthy looking if O'Connor stays on board. Still in need of a few more outside backs and to hold onto Sidey and Mafi. Depending on whether Dunning stays, we'll need a prop or two also.
    Be nice to see Turner in the #9, performed well in SAFFA Land last yr (in my eyes)

I dont think Patty will be leaving in a hurry, I know I wouldn't when I have Angela Tsun on my arm...

Gene Fairbank is nothing classy but a good player, as you said James, would like to See Sidey and Alfmi Malfi stay and Sow up the other centre and wing spot with JOC of course.

Looking promising for 2012 if we can be injury free and another year under our belt we have shown what we can do, just like my golf we need to be more consistent.

There is light at the end of the Super Tunnel.

Champion
    vCash
    is Brownie still to sign ? or has he a EWF contract for the 2012 season ?

vCash
    Brownie still has to sign but hes already indicated publicly that he will be staying

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    It would be great if he did, but the backrow is one spot where we have enough depth to cope with just about anything.

vCash
    How much longer Rabbit?