Nick Taylor, The West Australian
April 23, 2011, 10:19 am

The Western Force will be out to stop the Bulls rewriting history tonight when the Super Rugby teams clash at nib Stadium.

The defending champions from Pretoria have not won their last game of a tour of Australia and New Zealand since Super Rugby began in 1996 - and one of those losses was the after-the-siren 15-14 defeat against the Force three years ago.

The star-studded Bulls will be keen to end this season's four-game tour on a high having lost 27-0 to the Crusaders and 39-30 to the Reds. They beat the Hurricanes 26-14 in their opening tour match.

Force captain Nathan Sharpe knows his side must win the battle of the breakdown against a traditionally big Bulls side if they are to repeat the 2008 result.

"They are a big team, they are all pretty powerful but the guys are steeled for that," Sharpe said.

"The Bulls are coming off a disappointing road trip, they've got plenty to play for, but so have we. We want to get our first win at home this year.

"They are controlled by Fourie du Preez, one of the world's best scrum-halves. He's a guy who controls them round the field very well."

Waiting in the wings to take on du Preez with his 55 Springbok Tests and 107 Super appearances is a Force rookie with just two minutes of Super Rugby experience.

Ironically, scrum-half Mark Swanepoel spent those two minutes on the field in the corresponding fixture last year.

The South African-born 20-year-old is again on the bench and ready to confront one of his heroes.

"He (du Preez) is a player I have looked up to, but if I get the chance on Saturday night there will be none of that. There will be no friends out there," he said.

"I have always dreamt about playing against players renowned as being among the world's best and now it could be a reality."

Force coach Richard Graham said Swanepoel's selection was a reward for his work at training.

"Mark has had limited opportunities but when he comes into the group he brings a lot of youthful exuberance and I'm happy to see him rewarded," he said.

Graham has been forced to reshuffle his back line after winger David Smith was injured scoring the second of his two tries in the 27-19 win over the Brumbies in Canberra last Sunday.

Cameron Shepherd returns at full-back with Patrick Dellit moving from No.15 to outside centre and Rory Sidey going on to the wing.

In the forwards the experienced Matt Dunning and Pek Cowan return as the starting props.

"Pat was solid in his debut and I feel a change will challenge him and probably give us a better balance to our back line," Graham said.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...the-breakdown/