Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Melbourne Rebels' Cooper Vuna, NSW Waratahs' Sitaleki Timani called into Tonga's Worl

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Either that or there's a helluva lot of poor judges out there besides me.
    I'm not sure there are too many who differ with you on Eddie Jones

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Melbourne Rebels winger Cooper Vuna faces an unenviable choice after being named in Tonga's Rugby World Cup squad.

The 23-year-old has been named in a 50-player squad for September's battle for the Willam Webb Ellis trophy.

But he is also eligible to represent Australia, and could jeopardise his long-term Rebels future if he plays for Tonga in New Zealand.

"I'm not too sure yet," Vuna said when asked about his World Cup aspirations.

"At this moment, I'm going to put my foot forward for the Wallabies and, if anything, I'm going to try and represent the green and gold, represent the country.

"For Tonga, it's something I didn't really talk about. I've talked about it with the coach and I said I wasn't going to limit my options or try to pick Tonga over Australia. I'm just going to go hard and get there for the green and gold."

Vuna was touted as a potential Wallabies back after strong early showings for the Rebels.

He continued that form with a try in Melbourne's 40-23 loss to the Blues on Friday night.

However, he knows he may be risking his Super Rugby career if he accepts the Tongan invitation.

Vuna is regarded by the ARU as an Australian player on Melbourne's list. The Rebels were given recruiting concessions to help them be competitive in their first season.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/me...-1226043997721

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    So, in other words, he'll have a bet each way.
    If I was the Tongan Coach I would make the stand and say, "Ok, don't worry about it then."

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Harsh, but that's what I would do too.

Either he wants to play international footy or he doesn't.....with the number of quality wingers in Australia, he could easily never be selected.

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yep, arguably Tonga may miss one or two potential players by taking the stance, but would gain a huge amount of self respect among the commited players by knowing those running out considered it their first option, not their fall back position.
    So much gets made of maximising your earning potential etc during a career, but in reality so few players set themselves up for life anyway. Far better in these type of instances to hold year head high during a quarter of your working life and let that help determine your path after playing.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    It is not as just simple as whether he wants to play test rugby though. It is only alluded to in the article, but the choice he basically has is a) be available for the Wallabies and play Super rugby, or b) take up the offer from Tonga and have to go find a gig overseas. Melbourne are looking to reduce their list of overseas players rather than grow it, and no-one else is going to pick him up as a marquee player. I don't know what money he might attract in Europe and Japan, but even if it was good there may be family considerations...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    And that is a choice he has to make.
    The Tongan Coach also can make the choice for him.
    It's ok, I'll go back to 1994 now...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Makes it a pretty big call though - here's an offer, all you have to do is quit your job and drag the family off overseas... I wonder how a few of the Wallabies might respond if picking up the gold jersey meant retiring from Super Rugby.

vCash
    Some would take a contract overseas, some would push for a spot.......let's face it, if he's making it in super rugby and being called up for his nation he'll find himself an income without any problems.

I can't imagine what family needs might require him to live in Australia rather than Europe or Japan, since neither of them are Tonga....most islander boys I know are here for the wage, and send money home, why would that change in Europe?

At the end of the day, his choice is between a (very slim) chance of playing for the Wallabies and stay in Super Rugby, and a (reasonably certain) international career with Tonga and packing his family off to Europe.

It'd be interesting to watch if he had a two year contract though, how does he canvas clubs for next year if he's contracted to Melbourne and eligible to play unless capped? He'd have to have some certainty of taking the field before taking up the offer

C'mon the

vCash
    Very good point Andy. RUPA have always argued that players should be free to choose which franchise they play at. Perhaps they should lobby on behalf of their players who can be (IMO unduly) pressured into deciding which country they declare for. Whatever "Australian player" means. Apparently being born in NZ and playing RL for the Warriors, being selected for the Kiwis but playing for Tonga qualifies if Foxsports is correct.

Vuna is regarded by the ARU as an Australian player on Melbourne's list - Foxsports
    Aren't "Australian" players free to use the "grandparent scam" to play for another country and return to S15? Wasn't the " Wallabies eligible " condition to contain the player drain to Europe, rather than restrict PI players international careers? Especially those who'd probably be a marginal chance of national selection anyway.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Very good point Andy. RUPA have always argued that players should be free to choose which franchise they play at. Perhaps they should lobby on behalf of their players who can be (IMO unduly) pressured into deciding which country they declare for. Whatever "Australian player" means. Apparently being born in NZ and playing RL for the Warriors, being selected for the Kiwis but playing for Tonga qualifies if Foxsports is correct.
    RUPA would have difficulty deciding which side of that fence to sit though Shasta....remember, the player's association is a local entity in each country and the Australian version would have to see a lot of benefit to Aussie professional rugby players of keeping the eligibility requirements fairly stringent. Benefits will range from, more places for Australian players to artificially inflating the value of the best Australian players in those franchises by limiting the pool of available applicants.

If it was a free-for-all, would journeymen like Tim Davison get a contract at all, given that there's probably a bunch of players around the world who could do what he can do, and some of them will be cheaper! would Quade Cooper and James O'Connor be so highly sought after if you could look overseas for a replacement?

I guess the best indicator is Melbourne, they are allowed to contract essentially two thirds of a run on team from overseas players, and are competitive, if not consistent, in their first year. Contrast that with the Force, who are still struggling to be consistently competitive six years later and you can see how, even if the internationals aren't signed, it makes the job of finding quality talent much easier.

C'mon the

vCash
    I reiterate my assertion that two places on each team should be allowed to be filled by PI Argentine or Japanese internationals.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I reiterate my assertion that two places on each team should be allowed to be filled by PI Argentine or Japanese internationals.
    Way to go, though maybe I'd allow three. I've got no argument with measures to encourage local players to stay with our franchises. It's only the PI situation I don't like. To be completely honest, I was only using the Vuna situation as an example. He was born in NZ. He'd only get into the Tonga team via the "granparent scam", anyway.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2