Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rugby 'living beyond its means': NZRU chairman

vCash

Rugby 'living beyond its means': NZRU chairman

NZRU chairman Mike Eagle says rugby "has been living beyond its means for too long" and pleaded for the provinces to balance their books.

Eagle was making his maiden speech at the NZRU's annual meeting in Wellington where the national body posted a $9.4m loss for 2010.

"It is incumbent on each of us in this room to ensure that the rugby organisations we are responsible for do not extend themselves beyond their ability to sustain and support themselves," Eagle said.

"Similarly, we must ensure we are investing in the right areas of our game for long-term benefit."

Having been forced to continue to bail out provinces it appears the national body's patience is wearing thin.

"The NZRU has led negotiations to reduce the salary cap under the collective employment agreement with our players and transferred significant cost from provincial Unions to our books in the past year," Eagle said.

"The new funding review also provides additional funding to most Provincial Unions from this current year.

"We have also offered special assistance to some Franchises and Provincial Unions to navigate extreme difficulty.

"But that help comes with stringent requirements.

It is now urgent that all of our rugby organisations take steps to safeguard the future and ensure their sustainability by managing costs and revenue appropriately.

"We must also take a conservative approach to team and player costs to minimise the risk and potential damage that the current financial crises can do to our game."

Eagle predicted a bright future if that was achieved. He said 2011 with the hosting of the Rugby World Cup provided an opportunity to boost rugby's growth for the next generation.

Read more: http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/4...-NZRU-chairman

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    Eagle predicted a bright future if that was achieved. He said 2011 with the hosting of the Rugby World Cup provided an opportunity to boost rugby's growth for the next generation.

Read more: http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/4...-NZRU-chairman
    Followed by an opportunity for mass suicide after they choke in the quarters

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    So is "Rugby" spending too much or is it more not selling itself sufficiently to sponsors/partners and supporters?
    I think there is significant room to re-market the package with little change to existing structures to capitilise on a great product.
    (Generally) great role models, clean & healthy living, international appeal...yet we are constantly faced with reducing budgets.
    I think we have the wrong guru's in positions of influence.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    So is "Rugby" spending too much or is it more not selling itself sufficiently to sponsors/partners and supporters?
    I think there is significant room to re-market the package with little change to existing structures to capitilise on a great product.
    (Generally) great role models, clean & healthy living, international appeal...yet we are constantly faced with reducing budgets.
    I think we have the wrong guru's in positions of influence.
    The only team sport that instills respect and an ethos sadly lacking in our broader society. Caters for all shapes and sizes.

Target the mums by being factual on possible injuries (eg. less in Rugby than riding a skateboard) Total acceptance of Referees and officials of the game, allows boys to release pent up energy in a controlled contact sport.

vCash
    And they have the added advantage of a globally popular All Blacks brand that they could be marketing a lot more in emerging markets. Incidentally, the NZRL posted a profit last year.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Absolutely Beige, they would only need to get one endorsement in the USA to cover their entire years budget.
    Maybe the iRB should get a Super Bowl ad for next year.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Player
    vCash
    Re-branding the game is necessary as long as people like John O'Neil dont decide to tinker with the rules any more and water it down so it "appeals to a wider audience"

A tough game for tough but intelligent people on an international scale. I do of course exclude Paly from the above mentioned "intelligent people" comment..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rucking Good View Post
    A tough game for tough but intelligent people on an international scale. I do of course exclude Paly from the above mentioned "intelligent people" comment..
    and all of Rockingham thanks you RG!

C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    Now Now - I dont want to start another Western Suburbs Vs the outer Mongolian hoards discussions - Paly will do just fine

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Some just don't bare mentioning

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Absolutely Beige, they would only need to get one endorsement in the USA to cover their entire years budget.
    Maybe the iRB should get a Super Bowl ad for next year.
    I was asked by Rugby WA to reply to an email from someone in the States, that is recently a convert to Rugby Union....(it's getting more popular than ever in the U.S. ..apparently...) asking the question to all Super 15 teams, why he and his fellow converts should become fans of our particular team..I answered the email with all the passion I could muster, which the guy in a return email said was very "inspirational" (YAY!!!) .....the point of this...Rugby Union is getting alot of air time in the STATES.... Go you good thing!!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Nice work Hertryk

I might have gone with a film clip of "That Kick" and a short message like.

"Why the Force? Simple: www.twf.com.au "

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    yes rugby is growing in the US, but due to the 'insular nature' of the growth, and in the way that its had to develop(behind the NHL, NBL etc), the concept of the 'superior nature' of rugby is a bit flawed in the US.

My impression of rugby union in the USA was of that similar to rugby league in Australia. I was left highly unimpressed by a few teams i visited due to the inherit culture of essential 'thuggery' in the team. It wasn't even useful aggression, at one club training session i watched the team captain start punching a new player in the back because he was breaking the rules(he was in fact performing a legal turnover). In another team i watched a senior player verbally berate and threaten another younger player because he didn't release the ball on the ground, turns out the kid was 17 and it was his first training session.

It shocked me, having played at a multiple of clubs over the years, i was a bit dissapointed, and then i realised that rugby union has taken a vastly different path in the US. People are purely attracted to the violence of the game, they aren't concerned about the 'ethos' of rugby, they don't have clubs pushing 100years of tradition onto there players and they don't have private schools encapsulating that sense of elitism. Its a brand new sport to most people and they are establishing there own culture, which as i said earlier, seems remarkably similar to that of rugby league in Australia.

Anyway, thats my rant, its not necessarily a bad thing that US Rugby has completely shaken the elitism tag, but its just a point to be aware of for people who think Rugby in the US is similar to how it is in either Australia or England.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post

My impression of rugby union in the USA was of that similar to rugby league in Australia. I was left highly unimpressed by a few teams i visited due to the inherit culture of essential 'thuggery' in the team.
    How many Rugby League clubs have your trained/played with where you witnessed this type of essential thuggery and bullying?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    No Shasta, thats not what i was suggesting, I likened rugby union in the US to rugby league in Australia over the concept it has essentially flourished under the shadow of a larger, more powerful and relatively similar code(NFL), similar to the foundations of rugby league in Australia.

Ie, it doesn't possess that sense of elitism that the likes of the NFL(rugby union) possess by partnering up with Colleges, elite programs etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast