Thread: Irish accused of fuelling NZ exodus

vCash

Irish accused of fuelling NZ exodus

The New Zealand Rugby Union has voiced its growing unhappiness with the Irish Rugby Football Union's apparent complicity in the All Black player drain.

All Black prop John Afoa and Blues midfielder Jared Payne recently signed for Ulster in deals reported to be worth over NZ$750,000 (£367,000) while Crusaders' fly-half Matt Berquist is off to Leinster.

Hurricanes and All Blacks full-back Cory Jane and Blues' centre Benson Stanley have also been linked to big-money moves to Irish provinces.

Irish administrators have in the past shared their concerns with their Kiwi counterparts over French clubs luring players abroad with inflated salaries but are now being accused pilfering New Zealand's resources, despite the current financial crisis in Ireland.

"The disappointing thing is that if the numbers we are led to believe that have been put on the table by Ulster, and therefore the Irish Rugby Union, are accurate, it is a shame," NZRU chief executive Steve Tew told the New Zealand Herald.

Read more: http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2...882391,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Berquist is probably leaving because he wants to play some rugby, not watch carter prove again and again why he is the best

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    NZRU cry me a river.
    Learn how to win World Cups and you may retain some...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Milk it as much you can Burgs..six months to go..
    I thought the Irish were broke..

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    The "C" Word = Kryptonite to Kiwis

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I thought so to KQ but technically Ulster is in the UK who are less broke - and the contract would be in GBP which are getting a hammering at the moment too but at least it is not tied to the shaky Euro - thinking that this exodus might be the best thing from the Quake must be hard on the young to face that sort of rebuild

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    None of those three would've made the All Blacks anyway.

Berquist is behind Carter and the coaches are far more likely to go with young-uns like Colin Slade or Aaron Cruden. Berquist hasn't even played for the ABs.

Jared Payne also hasn't played a test for NZ. He plays 13 at the moment and a bit of 15 in the past I think. The All Blacks are much better served by Robbie Fruean, Conrad Smith and Richard Kahui at 13, and Israel Dagg, Mils Muliaina, Ben Smith and Ice Toeava at 15. Why cap a guy in a World Cup year when there are better and more experienced options elsewhere. He did play a good game against the Tahs though.

John Afoa has played for New Zealand but hasn't impressed recently. Plenty of other options at prop.

Whingers.

It would probably be a bit of a shame for them to lose Benson Stanley but nothing is signed yet.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    It would probably be a bit of a shame for them to lose Benson Stanley but nothing is signed yet.
    With Nonu and Smith in the middle, Benson Stanley won't get a look in either for a couple of years, he's probably getting a head start on the superannuation.

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Its a shame really- Benson Stanley was born in Australia and would've been directly eligible for the Wallabies had it not been for being capped last year for NZ. He is an archetypical centre. If O'Connor was leaving, he would be great at 12 for the Force. In fact I'd probably prefer him at 12 than O'Connor although it would be good to have both of them.

There are a couple of other Stanleys. I don't know if they are any good though or if they are also eligible for Australia.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Good old wiki:

Chase Stanley (born 31 May 1989 in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia) is a professional rugby league player who currently plays for the Melbourne Storm in the National Rugby League (NRL) competition and has represented New Zealand in international competition. His position of choice is centre, he can also operate on the wing and in the back-row.

Stanley is one of the famous increasing 'Stanley' Rugby Clan - which include 'Smokin' Joe (All Black World Cup Winner 1987, Auckland), Jeremy (All Black 1997, Auckland), BensonALL BLACK 2010 (Auckland Blues Super 14 2008) Winston NZ U20 World Cup Winner 2009, (NZ U19 World Cup Winner 2007,Auckland), Martin (Auckland), Ben (Bedford Blues Academy 2004-2006,) Michael (Saracens & England U16's 2006, U18's 2007, U20's 2007/8, 2008/09), & Sam (Saracens & England U16's 2008, England U18's AER 2009).

His younger brother Kyle Stanley plays for the St. George Illawarra Dragons in the Toyota Cup. Also has more than 5 brothers.

Kyle Stanley (born 2 April, 1991 in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia), is a Samoan-Australian Rugby League player for the St. George Illawarra Dragons in the National Rugby League.

His position of choice is at Five-Eighth, however due to his versatility can fill in anywhere in the back line. He is also a Goal kicker.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    We should get the Force to make a play for Winston Stanley.

vCash
    Isn't he in 1984?