Thread: QRU Board welcomes First Female Director

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

QRU Board welcomes First Female Director

Queensland Rugby’s Annual General Meeting has elected highly experienced senior business executive and board director, Kirstin Ferguson, to the QRU Board.

Kirstin becomes Queensland Rugby’s first female Board Director joining eight other Board members including the Chairman Rod McCall and CEO Jim Carmichael.

The Chairman said it was a landmark day for Queensland Rugby and he was delighted to have Kirstin on the Board saying she has an exceptional range of skills.

“The Board welcomed Kirstin’s nomination because of what she can do for Rugby. She has vast experience in areas that will benefit the code and the organisation moving forward.”

With more than 20 years leadership experience in senior executive roles Kirstin brings to rugby specific skills in Occupational Health and Safety, Human Resources, procedural and structural management and Government Relations.

Queensland Rugby required a suitably qualified and experienced individual when they were notified that long-term Board Member and solicitor Ross Williams would not be re-nominating for the Board.

“Over the past year the Board has been an important part of the turnaround of the code due to the active role it has played in the operation of the organisation and the strategic direction it has provided.

“When Ross made his decision we audited the current skills and knowledge base of the Board and pinpointed the areas where we could add value. Kirstin fills all of those areas and complements the skills of other Board members well.”

Kirstin Ferguson is a professional non-executive director and was most recently Chief Executive Officer of the global health and safety organisation, Sentis. Kirstin’s other directorship roles include SunWater Ltd and the Queensland Workplace Health & Safety Board. Kirstin has honours degrees in Law and also in History, and is admitted as a solicitor in QLD and NSW.

Kirstin has considerable business and leadership experience within Australian and international markets and in 2010 was CEO of the organisation named by BRW Magazine as the “Best Place to Work” in Queensland. “I am thrilled to have been elected to the Board and I am looking forward to being able to contribute to discussions about the strong future of rugby in Queensland.

“The Reds success on the field right now is certainly beginning to transcend off the field as well and I look forward to joining the board at such an exciting time and contributing expertise wherever I can.”

Kirstin has previously been named Young Manager of the Year in Brisbane by the Australian Institute of Management and was also awarded a Churchill Fellowship in 2003. Kirstin is also completing a PhD through the Faculty of Business at QUT.

In addition to her commercial acumen and focus on key areas of corporate governance, Kirstin will also bring to Queensland Rugby a focus on a non-traditional yet key audience - women.

Kirstin is a Member of both the Australian Institute of Company Directors and Women on Boards, and is a Fellow of the Australian Institute of Management.

Kirstin said she is thrilled to be joining Queensland Rugby Union at such a positive time and understands how vital all levels of Rugby are to the health of the Code in Queensland.

“I am passionate about Rugby and I am passionate about Queensland. I am a huge fan of the Reds and I have previously been a keen supporter of suburban rugby through watching my husband play at club level.

“I understand that to keep the Code healthy in Queensland, we need strong participation at all levels of the game to continue to see us perform well at an elite level. I am really looking forward to being part of the QRU team and helping contribute to the very strong future of rugby in Queensland.”

Mr McCall thanked Mr Williams for his many years of dedicated service to Queensland Rugby and wished him well for the future.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I don't know about this, all seems a bit progressive for an Australian rugby union ...

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Yeap - bet she could wipe the floor with the other board members and still have time to do other stuff - will feel more comfortable when the "female" has a purely business or legal background not HR. Good on her though hope she can get real things happening for the good of rugby in QLD

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone View Post
    Yeap - bet she could wipe the floor with the other board members and still have time to do other stuff - will feel more comfortable when the "female" has a purely business or legal background not HR. Good on her though hope she can get real things happening for the good of rugby in QLD
    And after wiping the floor she could do the dishes and make the bed!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    And after wiping the floor she could do the dishes and make the bed!
    And bake cakes for the meetings.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WF1964 View Post
    That wil remind her of her place

[Beer & crisps......the pre-season diet of choice

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WF1964 View Post
    ...and iron my shirts.

vCash
    after years of regressive QRU management its reassuring to see them taking steps in the right direction..

Im not talking about the fact that she is a woman(that's irrelevant), im more referring to the fact that it would appear they have gone for the 'best person for the job' rather then the 'old boys' network so synonymously linked with QLD rugby.

vCash
    What position did she play at college?

vCash
    Team Manager - she held the beers

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby