Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Force insist new low won't see players jump ship

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Force insist new low won't see players jump ship

The Western Force believe they can retain their five Wallabies in the face of a failing season that plunged to another low on Saturday night when they were taken apart in a 31-3 loss to the NSW Waratahs.

Force chief executive Vern Reid said the current campaign, which has produced just one victory from seven matches, wouldn't prompt Nathan Sharpe, James O'Connor, Ben McCalman, Matt Hodgson and Pek Cowan to leave at the end of the season.

Nor does he believe it will be a stumbling block to the club attracting new players.

The Brumbies and Rebels have targeted O'Connor, who is out of contract at the end of the season, and the Rebels have also shown interest in McCalman.

"I don't think players are going to run away on the back of a couple of bad results," Reid said.

"Results like Saturday night don't help but in the scheme of things there are bigger issues at stake.

"There are two reasons why players sign or move on. One is for the opportunities a club can offer and the other is if they see a franchise will be a success.

"We've always offered opportunities, now we have to demonstrate opportunities for success. We've got to make sure our solution comes from within."

The Force's vaunted early-season aggressive defence was almost non-existent as the Waratahs throttled, stretched and then fractured the Force line.

The Tahs had the ascendancy in scrum and line-out, setting the platform for an overwhelming 63 per cent of possession that put the often-disorganised Force under so much pressure they had to make 116 tackles compared with 59 by the visitors.

And they slipped off 25 of those collisions.

Force coach Richard Graham could only be forthright.

"Outclassed right across the field, to be honest," Graham said. "In terms of the sting in our defence, we lacked the sting that we have had."

He may have to rethink his strategy of playing O'Connor at full-back, where his attacking presence was nullified on Saturday.

O'Connor had few attacking options but on the couple of occasions when he did get his hands on the ball in space, he produced moments of brilliance.

He may be brought closer to the action against the Brumbies in Canberra on Sunday, but that could mean the consistent Gene Fairbanks loses the No.12 jumper.

"Regardless of how many times he (O'Connor) touched the ball, we probably didn't value possession for long enough periods of play to actually get anyone involved in the game," Graham said.

He was pleased that playmaker Willie Ripia, who had a solid if not spectacular debut behind a retreating pack, had lasted 80 minutes.

Full-back Cameron Shepherd faces a fitness test before the Canberra clash.

He landed on his head after his legs were taken out from under him by John Ulugia.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...ers-jump-ship/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Oh dear Monday morning denials. Earn Reid is obviously being glass is half full. This worries me.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    He may have to rethink his strategy of playing O'Connor at full-back, where his attacking presence was nullified on Saturday.

may have to rethink? I would have thought this was blatantly obvious.. Stupidest decision of the game, well done Graham

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    No mention of Richard Brown. I thought his contract was up this year too.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    What about Pocock? Please don't say he is off contract ffs.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    NICK TAYLOR, The West Australian
    April 11, 2011, 7:34 am

Force chief executive Vern Reid said the current campaign, which has produced just one victory from seven matches, wouldn't prompt Nathan Sharpe, James O'Connor, Ben McCalman, Matt Hodgson and Pek Cowan to leave at the end of the season.

Nor does he believe it will be a stumbling block to the club attracting new players.
    Is Vern delusional, and is this the inherent problem with the Force! If your so confident Vern I will wager a months salary your wrong - now what odds will you give me? Cut the bullshit and face reality - who do you take us for, a bunch of Muppets (yeah you probably do)

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Pocock is contracted until the end of 2012. No dramas there. He is a big asset because Hodgson and McCalman will no doubt like to play along side him and cement Wallaby spots by forming a good combination with him.

I don't think Sharpe, Hodgson or McCalman will go. Don't know about Cowan.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    What do you expect him to say?
    Part of his job must be to keep players here and it's pretty hard to do so if you come out with "Well obviously were a bunch of losers and I can't see why anyone with any talent would want to stick around".

vCash
    I think you we need to sit back and think logically.

Why would any of them leave.

First JOC where else would he have been able to star like he has here in a perceived weaker franchise, based on thi season a alone he has cemented his place in the Wallabies and almost moved Quade out of flyhalf spot. At another franchise would he have been able to shine amongst other stars as brightly as he has.

Similiararily the others mentioned above.

To be truthful, the Wallabies have been strugglers over the past few years just like the Force so were better to get grounded under the same conditions you will be playing as an International.

I see them all here next year and who knows maybe Beale as well.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    and Cooper.

vCash
    Well that's an interesting twist.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronski Beat View Post
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Beats blasting off like the space shuttle every Monday morning. Do yourself a favor and go take a Bex instead.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronski Beat View Post
    Posted via Mobile Device
    He wanted to come here last year. But loyalty to Queensland over the laptop episode prevented him.

Now he's given the Reds one good season. Then started the mungo rumours he can announce "I'm going to the Force" and everyone will go..."phew...least he isn't being lost to the mungos"

vCash
    Will he really want to play behind this pack though?

C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    Sharpe to re-sign with the Force
    Justin Chadwick
    April 12, 2011 - 4:04PM
    AAP

In a rare piece of good news for the struggling Western Force, skipper Nathan Sharpe is set to re-sign with the Perth-based franchise for another Super Rugby season.

Sharpe, who with 139 Super Rugby games to his name is the competition's most capped player, is set to put pen to paper as early as Wednesday in a move that will see the 33-year-old Wallabies lock finish his career in Perth.

The Force, who have already locked in David Pocock and Cameron Shepherd for next season, are hopeful fellow Wallabies James O'Connor, Ben McCalman, Matt Hodgson and Pek Cowan will follow Sharpe's lead once their Australian Rugby Union contracts have been sorted.

Advertisement: Story continues below
    Sharpe's commitment to the Force will no doubt lift spirits within the camp after what has been a dismal start to the season.

The Force sit last in the Australian conference after notching just one win and a draw from eight outings.

And with games against the Brumbies (away), Bulls (home), Crusaders (home) and Waratahs (away) to come in the next month, the Force could be in for some more pain.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...412-1dc94.html

The bit of good news we needed? All we need now is another big name signing, and all of a sudden the West will look far more attractive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast