Thread: Cross words not forgotten by Force

Senior Player
    vCash

Cross words not forgotten by Force

Justin Chadwick - AAP

Western Force skipper Nathan Sharpe says his players took little notice of Ryan Cross's disparaging remarks about the Perth-based franchise - but they won't forget them in a hurry.

He was speaking on the eve of Saturday night's Super Rugby clash with the Waratahs in Perth.

Cross, who spent four seasons at the Force before jumping ship to the Waratahs at the end of last year, lit the fuse for an explosive return when he said his former outfit were still too nervous to close out close games.

Advertisement: Story continues below
    Sharpe said Cross's comments, at a time when the Force were still coming to terms with last week's heartbreaking 26-25 loss to the Melbourne Rebels, would generate a little extra motivation.

"Look, the boys enjoyed those comments from Crossy. They weren't lost," Sharpe said.

"You don't want to be relying on motivation like that to play well on the weekend.

"Motivation for us is last weekend and where we are on the table at the moment.

"But certainly, comments like that don't get lost."

The Force, with just one win and a draw from six outings, must beat NSW to have any realistic chance of reaching the finals.

The situation is far rosier for the Waratahs after their 4-2 start, but winger Drew Mitchell said the team wasn't focusing on ladder positions just yet.

"It can be a little bit of a distraction if you start worrying who's at the top and who they're playing on the weekend," Mitchell said.

"It's a matter of us just worrying about our coming opposition.

"The media's pretty funny, they jump on anyone as quick as they can.

"After the first two weeks we were probably the team people were talking most about and then we had a couple of poor performances against the Crusaders and Cheetahs and then everyone was off us all of a sudden.

"Conversely, the Reds didn't start too well but they're hitting form now, so as quickly as you're in favour you can be out of favour, so we don't worry about that too much."

Mitchell, who spent three seasons at the Force before switching to the Waratahs at the end of 2009, said he felt more settled in Sydney and had no regrets about making the move.

"I'm enjoying my time here. The biggest reason why I came here was more of a lifestyle change," Mitchell said.

"As much as Perth's a nice place to live, for me it's just a little bit isolated.

"I felt somewhat disconnected from family and friends.

"Now I'm a little bit closer, things for me are a little bit more settled off the field and I don't really have to worry about anything other than going out there and chasing the ball."

Sharpe said the inclusion of former Hurricanes five-eighth Willie Ripia would give the team greater variety in the backline, where James O'Connor will don the No.15 jersey.

NSW lock Dean Mumm will captain the Waratahs in the absence of skipper Phil Waugh (calf).

Original article link

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...408-1d7hj.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    As for Mitchell's comments, he must be referring to being able to go to the opera and ballet more often, as Sydney is still 730 km from his "home" and mates in Brisbane....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeJay View Post
    As for Mitchell's comments, he must be referring to being able to go to the opera and ballet more often, as Sydney is still 730 km from his "home" and mates in Brisbane....
    Forgive me for being captain obvious blow job here, but maybe even at that distance Sydney is still closer than Perth?
    Posted via Mobile Device

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    depends if you're talking as the crow flies or as the taxi drives ... travel time all up is probably the same.

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    depends if you're talking as the crow flies or as the taxi drives ... travel time all up is probably the same.
    People on the eastern seaboard can travel between cities on business/leisure or whatever in the morning the and return to their own bed that night. It's possible from Perth too but your body clock will pay for it.

Some of us come to Perth and never want to leave. Some don't. It's always going to be the case. For every Shep there'll be a Mitchell. Like the AFL clubs have found, it's a better bet to develop/draft your own, even if the talent pool is not that deep - yet.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Ya.
    Posted via Mobile Device