Thread: Burnt by Firepower, Mitchell flowers at Tahs

vCash

Burnt by Firepower, Mitchell flowers at Tahs

Jamie Pandaram
    April 8, 2011

IT WAS late 2009 when Drew Mitchell, on tour in Europe with the Wallabies, received an audacious telephone call.

The caller was Tim Johnston, the boss of failed fuel technology company Firepower - which owed Mitchell hundreds of thousands in unpaid sponsorship money - asking if he'd like to be involved in a new business venture.

Mitchell agreed to meet, uninterested in Johnston's new pitch but with the intent of cornering one of Australia's most wanted men for some answers. A meeting was set but first Johnston said he had to return to Australia to attend his daughter's 21st birthday party.

Advertisement: Story continues below As soon as he touched down in Brisbane on November 2 he was apprehended by customs officials and Mitchell never got his answers.

When he agreed in 2007 to join the Western Force, Mitchell signed contracts drafted by Firepower pledging riches for three years. Like the many investors who lost about $100 million when Firepower was liquidated, he was left confused and furious.

But that experience was crucial in shaping the man who returns to Perth this week as vice-captain of the NSW Waratahs.

''The Waratahs' [offer] wasn't the biggest offer that I got but I wasn't going to be scorned again by the lure of the big money in front of me,'' Mitchell said of his move to Sydney last year. ''I was 23 at the time, I am 27 now, you come to realise there's probably more important things.

''I had spoken to each of the provincial teams. With the Waratahs, I wanted to get back closer to home [Brisbane], have more time with those who are close to me.''

Fortunately, the Force were also able to survive despite losing millions in sponsorship - which resulted in the departures of Mitchell and star five-eighth Matt Giteau - but the situation looked shaky for a time.

''There were things written about me, about going to a few clubs, and things written about mates of mine, that they are greedy,'' Mitchell said. ''It is very easy to look at things with a one-sided point of view but there is more to it than meets the eye.

''I was there for three years wondering where 40 per cent of my wage was. By no means am I playing the 'poor me' card, I know families lost their life savings, far more than what I did.

''Myself, Gits, every day we would spend chasing Firepower, Tim Johnston, just to know when we were getting paid, if we were getting paid. I was thinking, 'it just shouldn't be happening'. I was lucky enough to get money for the first year - albeit 12 months later - but the following two years I got nothing.

''I purchased houses thinking I was going to get a certain amount, then, come payment time, things were a lot tighter than what I'd anticipated. It wasn't a welcome distraction by any means, it consumed your thoughts outside of footy.

''When it is affecting your day-to-day life, it is hard to put that aside.''

Mitchell was also finding it tough being on the other side of the country to his family, with their short visits not enough to quell his feeling of isolation.

Since joining the Waratahs he has developed into one of the team's most respected figures, and was inducted into the team's four-man leadership group alongside Phil Waugh, Dean Mumm and Berrick Barnes at the start of the season.

With the murky history behind him, Mitchell is well-equipped to dish out advice to younger teammates. ''By no means did I feel I was coming to the Waratahs as a leader, the first few months you are feeling things out,'' he said. ''There was already a dynamic here before I got here, there is a way things are done and you're deluded if you think you can come in and change that. As it has evolved, my position in the group through age and experience, there is a leadership role for me now.''

With Waugh and Barnes sidelined this weekend, Mitchell becomes the deputy skipper under Mumm.

NSW's on-field leadership will be closely scrutinised tomorrow night but the left winger has no grand speeches prepared. ''I like to have a voice if I feel that what I have to say is worthwhile,'' he said. '' … if it really needs to be heard.''

Mitchell is all too familiar with hollow words.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...407-1d695.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Twisted, bitter, vengeful.

All over his own "loss".

How about returning some of the money he did get outside of his employment contract to those it was actually stolen from?

And the same to Giteau, the Force, and the Nedlands Rugby club.

Champion
    vCash
    Neddies still waiting...

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    If I stole a goat, say from Palitu, who revels in their company, and gave it to, say, Hansie, who may have other uses for it, Palitu would be able to recover his beloved goat from Hansie. That's fair.

Why shouldn't the same ethical principle apply if we are talking about money instead of goats?

By the way, no one with legal training need answer this question. It was rhetorical, I am emphasising the morality, not the law, and yes, I actually do know the answer from both a philosophical and legal perspective.

Last edited by fulvio sammut; 08-04-11 at 13:43.

Veteran
    vCash
    well... I do love goats!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    1 goat

Veteran
    vCash
    i would probably get the goat back, assuming it hasn't been eaten yet...

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I don't have much sympathy for those people who lose from high risk investments. If you can't afford to lose it, don't spend it.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    What Drew chooses to do with Goats in the privacy of one of his own homes is really his own business. Isnt it?

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    If he had wanted to get closer to his family in Brisbane......shouldn't he have gone back to the Reds?!?!?!

Not the smartest one out there, is he?!?!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by normie View Post
    Mitchell flowering had nothing to do with Firepower. The fact that Drew ain't under Matt Giteau's influence anymore turned him into the player he is now.

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    What Drew chooses to do with Goats in the privacy of one of his own homes is really his own business. Isnt it?
    in that case i wouldn't want it back, even if it hasn't been eaten...

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Jamie called me and told me he had made a typo in the heading. It should read: Mitchell de-flowered at Tahs.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.