Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Ryan Cross fires up Force

vCash
    That, my dear James, is why I never win the punter of the year.

Damn heart!

Even knowing they're going to get their ass handed to them in royal style this weekend, I've bet on them!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Ghost who talks: Brown shocked as Cross fires up Force

Jamie Pandaram
    April 7, 2011

RYAN CROSS had better hope he doesn't receive any hospital passes from his teammates on Saturday because the Western Force have heard his comments loud and clear.

Wallabies and Force back-rower Richard Brown was stunned that former teammate Cross spoke about, let alone sledged, their mental fortitude in close games.

''I was completely shocked that he was talking. When he was here, normally you couldn't get two words out of him, he was like a ghost,'' Brown said. ''The fact he was actually speaking was a surprise. What he actually said, I have got no interest in. They are his opinions and 'Crossy' is entitled to them.''

Brown added: ''If you're going to talk about our club culture, it has always had a pretty amazing work ethic. There is no lack of effort.

''The finesse of finishing a game is what has let us down, we have had a lot of close games in Australia and a lot of close games against the Waratahs. We have made changes that should allow us to turn those close defeats into wins.''

Cross was asked on Tuesday about concerns raised by Force coach Richard Graham that a culture of losing close games might be developing at the club.

''We had the same problem when I was there … we just couldn't shut out those games,'' Cross replied. ''When it does become close I think they start to become nervous and not sure of what to do. That's the sort of habit they've got into; they get a bit nervous and don't know how to shut out the game. Hopefully, we can take advantage of that this week.

''I think it's the total opposite here [at NSW], it's a bit more of a winning culture. They know how to shut out games, and they've got some really good experience in key positions, and I think that's the difference.''

It was one hell of a way to fire up his ex-teammates but Cross will be confident of leaving Perth with points and his body intact.

Brown could not guarantee anything. ''I think it will be interesting to have him out there, he really enjoyed his time out here and seeing him in the opposition side will be different,'' Brown said. ''I might have to squeeze his nose on the way past.''

The Force have struggled this season despite great effort and find themselves bottom of the Australian conference standings after a forgettable 26-25 loss to Melbourne Rebels last weekend. Defeat against the Waratahs would virtually kill off their finals hopes. ''After last week's close loss we spoke honestly and plainly to each other, which in my eyes doesn't happen enough, and from that we have got a better sense of purpose,'' Brown added.

''No one is a robot, everybody is human and everyone will got through a range of emotions after close losses. We have to look in the mirror and realise there is a game to get up for.''

Brown, who will start at blindside breakaway with Jono Jenkins replacing Matt Hodgson at openside, said there had been significant emphasis on attack this week, specifically when pressing the opposition try line.

The Waratahs have recalled second-rower Kane Douglas, who moves into the starting side at the expense of Pat O'Connor, who had replaced Douglas last week against the Chiefs. Pat McCutcheon starts at openside breakaway in place of injured skipper Phil Waugh, while the back line remains the same.

Prop Al Baxter returns to the bench, while back-rower Chris Alcock also comes onto the bench.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/su...406-1d4j4.html

vCash
    Another twist of context from Pendarum and a sub editor. What Browny said was that he was shocked Cross was talking at all. Apparently a man of few words, Cross didn't say anything about the club culture or work ethic. Who knows what leading question was asked of Brown. Whatever Jamie Pendarum has squeezed another headline from nothing much at all. Grain of salt people.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Yeah move along nothing to see here... Except you can be sure the guys will have a target painted on crossy's back none the less.. Just for kicks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    News just in, Waugh and Barnes ruled out for Tahds game - Al Baxter needing a fitness test to be cleared for playing.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    heard from a totally unreliable source,that Barnes career could be over

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SinBin View Post
    Al Baxter needing a fitness test to be cleared for playing.
    I saw last night that Al Baxter passed his fitness test

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I saw last night that Al Baxter passed his fitness test
    My source was Fox Sports News this morning.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Another twist of context from Pendarum and a sub editor. What Browny said was that he was shocked Cross was talking at all. Apparently a man of few words, Cross didn't say anything about the club culture or work ethic. Who knows what leading question was asked of Brown. Whatever Jamie Pendarum has squeezed another headline from nothing much at all. Grain of salt people.
    Generally the writer has little input in the headline; he may suggest a headline, but it's the sub-editor who writes it. Pandarum's article is pretty good and balanced - the headline isn't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SinBin View Post
    My source was Fox Sports News this morning.
    Saw it in an ABC Grandstand update on Facebook yesterday

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...htm?site=sport

Waratahs coach Chris Hickey has brought former Test prop Al Baxter, who has overcome a thumb injury, back into his squad but the veteran tight-head will start off the bench at Perth's nib Stadium.

vCash
    The. Way I like to put it ... Its an excuse to get our boys & fans fired up fo the game. I say who cares if hes write or wrong... I just wanna see cummo knock his ass into the fourth row.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3