Thread: CHAIRMAN RETIRES AFTER 25 YEARS

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

CHAIRMAN RETIRES AFTER 25 YEARS

Long serving RugbyWA Chairman, Geoff Stooke OAM CitWA has tonight brought down the curtain on his remarkable 25 years of service to rugby at Board level in Western Australia.

During his tenure, RugbyWA enjoyed many successes, notably significant increases in participation numbers across junior and senior competitions. Mr Stooke was also a key architect in the greatest evolution in WA’s proud 125 year rugby history when awarded a Super 14 licence in 2004.

From an amateur focussed organisation with a handful of staff, RugbyWA became the newest elite rugby centre in the country and now boasts a highly regarded professional programme that employs more than 40 staff, 35 players and has an annual turnover in excess of $16 million.

“My time as Chairman has been a labour of love and I feel privileged to have been given the opportunity to fill the role for such a period of time,” Mr Stooke said,

“Through rugby I have been able to work with some outstanding people and form friendships throughout Australia.

“The achievements of rugby in WA have been a collaborative effort and I’d like to thank my fellow Board members, clubs and affiliate bodies for their support throughout the years.

“I wish rugby at all levels in Western Australia success into the future.”

In 1999 Mr Stooke’s services to the game were recognised with the Medal of the Order of Australia and in 2000 he received the Australian Sports Medal for rugby. His determination and success in securing a Super Rugby team in the west was further acknowledged with the WA Citizen of the Year Award (Sport) in 2006.

His passion for rugby extends from the Boardroom to the heat of battle on the field and since 1965 Mr Stooke has notched close to 800 grade games, representing clubs in WA, NSW, Queensland, Papua New Guinea and Victoria. He is a long-time member of Associates, having played nearly 600 games with the Swanbourne based club, and will again line-up in season 2011 which kicks off this weekend.

He has played a substantial role in the development of rugby as a coach at both grade and state level, while also spending 10 years as a WA State Team selector.

RugbyWA CEO, Vern Reid, said the growth and prosperity of rugby in WA was in no small part due to the vigilant duty of Mr Stooke’s term as Chairman.

“It would be a difficult task to find anyone in a sport in Western Australia who has given as much to their code as Geoff has done,” said Mr Reid.

“To be involved on the Board for a quarter of a century, and for the most part as Chairman, in itself is remarkable. However, to also be the driving force behind our transition from an amateur sporting body to a professional one competing in the world’s best provincial rugby competition is nothing short of extraordinary.

“Having known Geoff for all of the time he has been involved in rugby in Western Australia I have no doubt he has put everything into our great game that could possibly be given.

“Rugby in WA is indeed indebted to his leadership and long standing commitment. I know he will continue to be a staunch supporter for the continued growth and success of the code in the state.

“We wish Geoff many thanks for his fine contributions to rugby, it certainly won’t be forgotten.”

RugbyWA council members this evening unanimously endorsed current Deputy Chairman Dr Russel Perry to the position of Chairman.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Veteran
    vCash
    wow... 800 games!

that is an achievement!

Rookie
    vCash
    No, that's stupidity at the largest extent. The old fool should go back to new guinea.

vCash
    You're just pushing to take his spot in third grade

C'mon the