Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tennis site may move for stadium

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Tennis site may move for stadium

The State Tennis Centre at Burswood has emerged as a likely venue for the new sports stadium, with the WA Government investigating how an arena could be built on the site.

Premier Colin Barnett said yesterday that the site, which is on the opposite side of Graham Farmer Freeway to his preferred venue at Belmont Racecourse, had good transport links and was on high ground, which could make construction easier.

"I don't think the Tennis Centre has been a great success at that site," he said. "It is not all that popular with tennis players.

"The stadium could be moved a bit closer to the Tennis Centre site but we would have to have discussions with Tennis West before anything like that was contemplated.

"We would want to make sure that tennis was looked after and if they were willing to move, we would consider it."

The site is close to the area earmarked several years ago by the Stadium Taskforce as one of three preferred options for a stadium.

Mr Barnett said he had not ruled out Subiaco or East Perth as venues but believed the Burswood Peninsula had a lot going for it.

"The PTA (Public Transport Authority) has been looking at some of the transport issues that would surround that site," he said.

"If Burswood was selected, then you come down to the micro-selection of exactly where on Burswood.

"The Langoulant report had a site closer to the river.

"You could look at something closer to the Tennis Centre or it could be the Tennis Centre site if tennis was willing to be relocated."

Mr Barnett said nearby roads might have to be re-routed to accommodate a stadium.

Tennis West boss Andrew Stanbury said the organisation had frozen its capital works program, pending a Government decision.

He said Tennis West, which was 13 years into a 50-year lease with the Burswood Park Board, had identified three alternative venues but would not disclose them.

Mr Barnett has not given up hope that Belmont Park owner Perth Racing would sell the racecourse to the State Government so the land could be used for a stadium.

Perth Racing has bet its financial future on a deal with a developer to turn vacant land around the racecourse into a residential development that would be worth up to $4 billion when finished.

Perth Racing chief executive Michael Heath said yesterday that he was confident the deal with The Golden Group would be finalised on Friday, when an extended due diligence period expires.

Mr Barnett reiterated his warning that the deal came with risks.

"I believe they might be passing up the one great chance for racing to re-establish itself," he said.

"If they go with the property development option, it is going to have a lot of risks attached to it.

"I would think commercially and from a construction, planning and environmental point of view."

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-...e-for-stadium/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Damn, when I read the headline I thought that Loton was to be dug up for a new large stadium.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Just another tame article throwing another potential site into the mix in lieu of actually doing any work on the issue...

vCash
    Would that site be big enough? It looks smaller than the NIB stadium site. You might just about get a 60,000 seat stadium there, but there'd be no parking.

I know the politicians will say that's intentional to push people into using public transport, but the current station's not suitable for 60,000 people emptying onto it at once, and it's not like there's any bars, resturants, etc around to keep people in the area. Burswood might be ~1km away, but that's through a residential area and it's car park is a) too small itself, and b) might be being used by Burswood.

Of course, you could make Burswood golf course a 9-hole course and free up a huge section of land big enough for two stadia and a car park. Then we could have new rectangular and oval stadia! (Just with slightly longer walks to the train station.)

For me, the power station site's still the best option.

vCash
    Tear down the power station and build a stadium.
    Tear down the power station and build a stadium.

Do it now Barney stop p(*&ing about.

Senior Player
    vCash
    I'll be a hundred and they will still be contemplating where to put the venue...

vCash
    Shaun Mac from Nova put it to Gillard yesterday and she was very coy.. typical politican, stand up and make a commitment and be held accountable for once gdammit!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    Shaun Mac from Nova put it to Gillard yesterday and she was very coy.. typical politican, stand up and make a commitment and be held accountable for once gdammit!
    Gillard is far from that style of politician.
    She's more the "stand up and make a commitment then totally ignore the mandate given by the voting public whist you run off and do exactly what you said you wouldn't" type!

C'mon the

vCash
    ok so someones got wind that the government has committed to this site.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/west...-1226038101779

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    That sounds like they are pretty certain it will be the case, should be ready for the start of the 2019 Rugby World Cup!

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Champion
    vCash
    There will be more delays that i care to imagine, ane by the time it complete the Force will be "shutdown" (a bit like the old Western Reds, waiting around for a stadium but never came about)

If they are agreeing with Burswood I think (recall) something about Packer having his hands in the pie so it should be world class and the back 9 holes of the golf course will be removed for parking - feed and drinking businesses for before and after the game.

Why dont we take a leap out of the European stadiums ? Have a multi underground carpark under neath the stadium, and on top of the stadium have a nightclub / pubs / restaurants and hotel. instead of just a stadium with corporate facilities.

I'm suprised its costing $1.2b, think about it Robina Stadium only cost = $160m and the new stadium in Melbourne where the rebels play cost =$250m and the Docklands with retractable roof = $450m. How is are's costing up to 10 times this amount espically when no one has even seeing plans drawn up yet

But i can see this being an "epic" failure, something like the following :

April - Agreed to use burswood
    July - Signed with burswood
    Dec - Plans drawn up
    Feb - Open to public debate
    (some little asian man who comes to Perth every decade) doesn't like the stadium's 2nd tower as it blocks out his morning sun on his burswood apartment block)
    April - Declined start
    May - all over again....

Build starts (when ever)
    Stadium Builders go into liquidation - delay
    New company buys them out - new contract needs to be drawn up - delay
    Stadium is complete - 10 years time
    Then realise that the train station cant be built where the initially proposed, need to use belmont park or burswood station.
    No parking available for fans - supporters - sponsors.
    We go back to use NIB Stadium where the infrastructure will be (after waiting for Stadium Burswood to take effect)

vCash
    This has nothing to do with NiB Stadium where work on a new Grandstand will start next year

This is the Multi-Purpose Stadium that was initially announced by Carpenter, Canned by Barnett because apparently the State went broke in the week the Government changed hands

vCash
    Multi use = oval.
    By the time It's built it will be too small for the population.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by normie View Post
    Multi use = oval.
    By the time It's built it will be too small for the population.
    Multi use oval is still my pick for internationals which will draw a crowd that will fill it, having it configurable is better, but given the fact that 90% of it's revenue will be from the tenant who will absolutely refuse to allow the stands to be moved, it's probably a complete waste of money putting the technology in place.

Look at telstra in Melbourne, it has never been configured as a rectangle despite having the ability to do so......same will happen here!

We should keepmthe pressure on the NIB upgrade, because a dedicated rectangle is the best solution, that's what they did in !Melbourne

C'mon the

vCash
    There's a report in the UK that Leicester have raised the necessary cash to upgrade their stadium by 6,000 (from 24,000 to 30,000). The cost: GBP 4.5m.

Ok, they're starting from a better place than NiB is, but how can they get seats for ~$1200 each while ours are $12,000 each (7,000 seats for $83m) [http://twf.com.au/showthread.php?t=26299]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast