Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: De Villiers: 'Force can't be taken lightly'

vCash

De Villiers: 'Force can't be taken lightly'

Stormers captain Jean de Villiers has vowed not to take the Western Force lightly this weekend off the back of his side's thrilling victory over the defending champion Bulls last weekend.

While the Western Force aren't one of the sides that comes to mind when you first think about the big contenders for this season's Super Rugby, they are far from being a walking bonus point and knocked over the Lions last weekend having drawn with the Blues the week before.

De Villiers is more than aware that his team can't get carried away with their win over Bulls and will need another big performance to maintain their unbeaten record against the Force.

"The Force are definitely a team that you can't take lightly," De Villiers told rugby365.com.

"They're a good defensive team and are good on the ground even without David Pocock."

The Stormers have enjoyed success this season through grit and determination and their position on top of the Super Rugby standings is slightly bizarre, as they have scored the least tries of any team in the competition.

"We have grunted out some wins with a reliable kicker, but it will become more important to score tries in some tighter games," De Villiers admitted.

"For us it's focusing on what we need to do and to keep on improving as a backline.

"Even though we won [against the Bulls] we know there is still a need to keep growing as a backline and executing our moves.

"We need to improve and we are aware of that, and while it [our improvement] hasn't been in huge steps, we are still improving."

While the Stormers attack has struggled this season, their defence has been impeccable and it will be tested once again on Saturday by the Force's backline lead by the talented James O'Connor.

De Villiers believes the team can't focus too hard on one individual, although he plans to keep a close eye on the slippery O'Connor.

"We'll try to get in his [O'Connor's] face and try get him on the ground," De Villiers said.

"He's played 20-odd Tests and three years of Super Rugby and I've never seen anybody get hold of him properly and he is a slippery customer and a great player."

The Stormers skipper is paired in the midfield with fellow Springbok Jaque Fourie, who is preferred to Juan de Jongh again this week, and coach Allister Coetzee admits choosing between three Bok centres is a challenge.

"I'm satisfied with the impact that Juan has made [from the bench] and and [the selection is what's best] for the team at this point," Coetzee told rugby365.com.

"Jaque Fourie is playing well and choosing between three Springbok centres is my positive headache.

"I had a chat all three of them at the beginning of the year, and said that we will look at giving them all starting game time and they will all play a role."

Coetzee, like De Villiers, also underlined his belief that you underestimate any side in Super rugby at your own peril and the Western Force are no exception.

"The Australians naturally play well and think on their feet, running good lines and thriving on quick ball," he said.

"If there is one team that this team has never been is slapgat.

"When you don't respect the situation and the opposition you find yourself embarrassed."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Meanwhile PDV was heard to say: "There is much joy to be had in the sucking of an icecream many."

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    A "please explain" to our resident translators, is there a typo early in the sentence or has he been hanging out with PDV?:

"If there is one team that this team has never been is slapgat."

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MI5_Dog View Post
    De Villiers is more than aware that his team can't get carried away with their win over Bulls and will need another big performance to maintain their unbeaten record against the Force.

Didnt we win last year?

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Haji View Post
    Didnt we win last year?
    How could you forget "that" drop goal.

2007 over there as well!

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I think the point, although poorly expressed, was their unbeaten record this season. Not that they have been unbeaten against the Force in Super rugby history.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I think the point, although poorly expressed, was their unbeaten record this season. Not that they have been unbeaten against the Force in Super rugby history.
    I don't care what excuse you've got. Nothing's going to stop me in the middle of this speech. You're gonna... lemon tree?

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    How could you forget "that" drop goal.

2007 over there as well!
    This one?

[YOUTUBE]g2_FDCYGGLI[/YOUTUBE]

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    slapgat - Afrikaans slang for not pulling your weight. Literally translated to "lazy ass"

so hes saying that the Force cannot be blamed for being lazy... i dunno when the committee was in charge there were a few matches where we could certainly have been called lazy... not since 2010 though....

Rookie
    vCash
    Well i hope the player aren't thinking all the way back to 07. Good time to catch them they must be getting close to a loss.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Thanks Zim, yeah was more the sentence than the last word...I guess the first "team" should read "thing"...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    I don't care what excuse you've got. Nothing's going to stop me in the middle of this speech. You're gonna... lemon tree?
    Beige, you can't blame yourself for de Villier's comments on that one speech. If anything turned him bad it's the time you let him wear a bathing suit instead of underwear. And let's not forget your little speech.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Primary Afrikaans speakers have never really been able to grasp the idiosyncrasies of the English language.. i dont blame them sometimes.. English is sooo much more difficult to learn than Afrikaans...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Oh I dunno, I didn't have much trouble learning English...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    slapgat - Afrikaans slang
    So the Aussie equivalent would be slack arse?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast