Thread: Match Preview: Western Force vs Golden Lions

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash

Match Preview: Western Force vs Golden Lions

The Lions earned their first win of the competition last weekend while the Force finished their tussle with a draw. Both teams seem to be starting to build momentum, but that ends here. Short of the remarkable events of 2006 when the Force registered two consecutive draws, one of these two teams is going to suffer yet another loss. The Lions have started their season well by their standards. Despite eventually losing, they put a lot of pressure on the Bulls, Stormers and Blues. An excellent attack has characterized their season thus far. The Force meanwhile have been champions on defence. The draw from the last game was unlucky, however there was no luck in how efficiently the team closed down an all star backline that is chock full of All Blacks. This game stands to be an exciting match up of last year’s cellar-dwellers where a blistering attack meets a rock-solid defence. And that’s not even taking into account the Mitchell factor that is bound to add some emotion...

Head to Head
    The early years of Force vs Lions games saw some very even games. Our inaugural match saw points shared after the Force fired out to a commanding 20 point half-time lead (thanks to a Scott Staniforth hat trick) only to let through a last minute try; Andre Pretorius’ missed conversion sparing the Force yet another loss (34-34). A year later the Lions took the honours by one point (25-24) in Perth with woeful finishing and poor discipline seeing the Force win just about everywhere but on the scoreboard. The Force finally managed their first victory over the Jo’Burgers in a sloppy and uninspiring match in 2008 (18-16). The trend of Force wins has continued from here with a 55-14 belting at Subi Oval in 2009 and a comfortable 33-12 win last year. Let’s hope the trend continues...

How we are going to win it...
    The real take home message from last weekend’s game was to play the full 80 minutes. This is particularly pertinent as playing at altitude will definitely make this harder to do. Against the Lions it won’t just be about the final 10 minutes; we also need to make certain we don’t give them an easy lead and be forced to chase the game. Being behind by 10 at altitude against a team that loves to run is almost a point of no return. Watch out for Kockott early on around the fringes of the ruck and off the back of the Lions’ scrum.

We have what it takes to beat the Lions. We should have the edge in the forwards and put a bit of pressure on their set piece. Our backs are also growing in confidence and will hopefully feature pretty strongly. What we need to do is prevent ourselves from being sucked into the Lions’ game plan. Don’t let the game become too free and loose. If they are under pressure at the breakdown and under pressure with their scrums and line-outs, we can stymie their attack. Take the lead and frustrate the Lions; they will start to do silly things like haphazardly running the ball out of their own 22. We can feed off their mistakes and blow them off the park.

Players to watch out for
    John Mitchell tried to recruit hooker Bandise Maku for the 2010 Force season, however the youngster opted instead to earn a Springbok cap and play for the Bulls. Maku has now linked up with Mitchell at the Lions and will face off against the Force’s own young talents; Ben Whittaker and Nathan Charles. Maku is a solid player and gets around the field well. This mobility really suits the Lions’ attacking mindset.

Cameron Shepherd will have his hands full keeping an eye on the Lions’ danger men. Shep has had a fairly slow start to the season, being solid but not brilliant. It is no surprise that with the injuries he has had of late it would wake a while for him to return to form and get his confidence back up. Could this be the game where he shows us that he still has the amazing talent that we saw in 2006 and 2007? His monster kicking-boot will be a valuable asset in the thin air of Johannesburg.

The key match-ups
    This was a tough one to pick at first. My first thoughts went to the battle of the terriers in Brett Sheehan and Jano Vermaak, but Vermaak may still be injured and not make the 22. Expect a cat-fight there if he does. Another intriguing head to head will be between Sam Wykes and Wikus van Heerden (Who names their son Wikus?). Both players share pretty similar dimensions (Sam’s afro giving him a bit of an edge in the height department) and will likely face-off in the second-row, where neither player seems best suited. Despite this, they are both in excellent form and their tireless work around the park has lifted their respective teams. But who am I forgetting? Ohh, yes, of course the real key match-up with be that of John Mitchell and Richard Graham. The predecessor vs his replacement. Both coaches will be reaching deep into their bags of tricks to gain bragging rights and to justify their appointments as head coach. Mitchell may have an intimate knowledge of the Force to help counter his former team but Graham’s man management is excellent and he will be inspiring his disciples to play out of their skins to send a big up-yours to their former mentor. I can’t wait for the post-match coach interviews.

Predicted result
    The Lions are a different proposition to the team of the last few years. They are no longer an easy 4-5 points. If the Force get complacent, either at the start or end of the game, we will be punished. That said, the Force are the better team and should win. We should have the edge in the line-outs, the scrum and at the breakdown. We should be able to neutralize the Lions’ impressive attack. Our own attack should function at level above what we saw against the Blues. If the Force come into the game with the same passion and spirit that they have shown in previous weeks, we will come out with our first win of the season. Force by 6.

Teams
    Emirates Western Force Squad
    1. Pek Cowan
    2. Ben Whittaker
    3. Tim Fairbrother
    4. Sam Wykes
    5. Nathan Sharpe (c)
    6. Richard Brown
    7. Matt Hodgson (vc)
    8. Ben McCalman

9. Brett Sheehan
    10. James O'Connor
    11. David Smith
    12. Gene Fairbanks
    13. Nick Cummins
    14. Alfie Mafi
    15. Cameron Shepherd

Reserves
    16. Nathan Charles
    17. Kieran Longbottom
    18. Tom Hockings
    19. Tevita Metuisela
    20. James Stannard
    21. Matt Brandon
    22. Pat Dellit

Lions Squad
    1. JC Janse van Rensburg
    2. Bandise Maku
    3. Patric Cilliers
    4. Wikus van Heerden
    5. Franco van der Merwe (c)
    6. Derick Minnie
    7. Josh Strauss
    8. Warren Whitely

9. Rory Kockott
    10. Elton Jantjies
    11. Michael Killian
    12. Waylon Murray
    13. Jannie Boshoff
    14. Lionel Mapoe
    15. Jaco Taute

Reserves
    16. Martin Bezuidenhout
    17. Kevin Buys
    18. Michael Rhodes
    19. Cobus Grobbelaar
    20. Michael Bondesio
    21. Burton Francis
    22. Deon van Rensburg
    • Match Report will be pending my ability to get somewhere I can watch the game. PM me if you know any pubs in the Fremantle area that are likely to stay open to the finish. Ta.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    I'm expecting Mafi and Smith to get more involved like they were doing against the Blues. I'd like to see Smith develop along the lines of Sivivatu at the Chiefs, he seems to pop up everywhere. All in all I'm really looking forward to this one, we need to get our season on a positive footing.

vCash
    Agreed, I'm not sure if were much of a chance of making the finals now, what with the bye moving teams up the ladder rather than down, but we need to start producing!

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Any Fremantle TWF members with Fox who would like to invite James over?

I'll guarantee he'll knock on your door with his elbows and arms full of a carton of beer!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    It is going to be well interesting. I can't say I've noticed any particular change in our tactics - strong defence underpinning generally flat lines, with a reliance on individual bits of brilliance to create breaks rather than fluent evolutions of ball movement stretching and fracturing lines. Certainly there is unlikely to be anything Mitch hasn't seen before, but the question will be whether he has the cattle this year to capitalise on the knowledge. Hope we've changed the line-out calls though...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah Andy, we are now doing them in Afrikaans....doh!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Any Fremantle TWF members with Fox who would like to invite James over?

I'll guarantee he'll knock on your door with his elbows and arms full of a carton of beer!
    I have a feeling Rosey O'Grady's will.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I have a feeling Rosey O'Grady's will.
    Rosie O'Grady's Fremantle closes at 1am on Friday and Saturday night

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Probably wouldn't want to turn up with the carton there though

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    [YOUTUBE]RWp_jvhXX8k[/YOUTUBE]

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Rosie O'Grady's Fremantle closes at 1am on Friday and Saturday night
    Why am I not surprised you'd know that?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Why am I not surprised you'd know that?
    I ummmm, looked it up......

The one in Northbridge is open until 2am