Thread: Fairbrother returns against Lions

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Fairbrother returns against Lions

Emirates Western Force coach Richard Graham has made just one change to his run-on side which will tackle the Lions on Saturday evening, with experienced prop Tim Fairbrother returning to the front row.

Fairbrother was a late withdrawal against the Blues but has trained fully this week and will take the place of Matt Dunning at tighthead prop after the 45 test Wallaby suffered an ankle injury in last weekend’s draw in Perth.

“Tim was probably two days short of playing against the Blues. He has trained well throughout the week so it was an easy decision to make bringing him back in,” Graham said.

“We also know we have Kieran Longbottom ready to go in the front row and he is playing some really good rugby and will definitely get time during this game.”

The only other change comes in the reserves as big lock Tom Hockings returns after gaining valuable match time with the Emirates Western Force ‘A’ last weekend. Hockings is back to full fitness after some knee concerns during pre-season and was an impressive performer in the trial match against Shute Shield side West Harbour a week ago.

Players have trained both days after landing in Johannesburg on Wednesday morning and adjusted quickly to the issues of playing on the highveld.

“Definitely there are challenges but I think the important thing is to prepare as if you are at home, prepare consistently and don’t make it an issue,” Graham said.

“We’ve taken the necessary steps to acclimatise and we’re feeling good heading in to the game.”

Inspirational Emirates Western Force captain Nathan Sharpe will add yet another significant milestone to his outstanding career when he equals the all-time Super Rugby match record of 136 games held by George Gregan.

“It certainly says a lot about the way Nathan prepares himself and his durability in the game,” Graham said.

“Nathan has been at the Emirates Western Force since our inception, he is a wonderful leader and outstanding servant to Australian rugby and I think it is only fitting that a guy like him is set to equal a mark set by another great Australian player.

“We look forward to him going on to become the most capped player in the competition’s history.”

2011 Super Rugby – Week 5
    Lions v Emirates Western Force
    Saturday, 19 March 2011 at Coca Cola Park, Johannesburg
    Kick-off: 11.05pm (AWST)

Emirates Western Force Squad
    1. Pek Cowan
    2. Ben Whittaker
    3. Tim Fairbrother
    4. Sam Wykes
    5. Nathan Sharpe (c)
    6. Richard Brown
    7. Matt Hodgson (vc)
    8. Ben McCalman
    9. Brett Sheehan
    10. James O'Connor
    11. David Smith
    12. Gene Fairbanks
    13. Nick Cummins
    14. Alfie Mafi
    15. Cameron Shepherd

Reserves
    16. Nathan Charles
    17. Kieran Longbottom
    18. Tom Hockings
    19. Tevita Metuisela
    20. James Stannard
    21. Matt Brandon
    22. Pat Dellit

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Great news not to have lost our two leading TH's in one week!
    So long as we follow the match plan then we should come out the right side here, though will be easy to "wake up" at half time in the sheds thinking "WTF just happened".
    Time for Big Tom to step up and show us he is the main man post Sharpey, a huge few weeks in his career coming up.
    For mine he has pretty much had the same experience as Wykes, debuted before he was ready but showed great potential and really punched above his weight, a plateau in his second year but held his own and fell away in a team wide form slump last year. He has to follow his mate Wykes' lead and put it all on the line, and I am confident he will.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Wykes has really surprised me this year... still dodgy with ball in hand at times but his work rate has doubled and hes making yards and getting involved at crucial moments.. great to see

hopefully we get to see what the new boys are like as well, Brandon and Dellit..

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Sounds like a law firm

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I wonder about the move of Waylon Murray, he's now lining up against Gene Fairbanks, now Mitch won't have had much to do with Gene directly, wonder whether he's seen something there, or whether he'll be looking to exploit the inside defense of cummo?

Hope they both bought their tackling boots!

C'mon the

vCash
    Defense has, so far, been the only thing I haven't had a problem with when it comes to Fairbanks and Cummins has been fairly reliable there too. Attack is where we are lacking at the moment and while defense won't lose you games it won't win you games either.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MI5_Dog View Post
    Defense has, so far, been the only thing I haven't had a problem with when it comes to Fairbanks and Cummins has been fairly reliable there too. Attack is where we are lacking at the moment and while defense won't lose you games it won't win you games either.
    It will if you are so hard up on defence that you score breakaway tries from intercepts, charged down kicks, or opposition knock-ons from those bone crunching hits.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Great news not to have lost our two leading TH's in one week!
    So long as we follow the match plan then we should come out the right side here, though will be easy to "wake up" at half time in the sheds thinking "WTF just happened".
    Time for Big Tom to step up and show us he is the main man post Sharpey, a huge few weeks in his career coming up.
    For mine he has pretty much had the same experience as Wykes, debuted before he was ready but showed great potential and really punched above his weight, a plateau in his second year but held his own and fell away in a team wide form slump last year. He has to follow his mate Wykes' lead and put it all on the line, and I am confident he will.
    I thought both Pek & Longbottom (when he came on) did an exectional job against a very experienced Blues & i'm glad Dunning isnt there to give away scrum penalty's. I watched Dunning in general play last week & he was often cought out wide struggling to get back onside in defence & was penalised twice but could have been penalised alot more. Tim Fairbrother is a quality player all round & it is good to see him back.

----------------------------------