Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sharpe set to equal Gregan's record

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash

Record-man Sharpe eyes big prize

On the eve of becoming Super Rugby's most capped player, Western Force skipper Nathan Sharpe has talked of his burning desire to lead the Perth-based franchise to the title before he hangs up the boots.

Sharpe will surpass George Gregan's tally of 136 Super Rugby matches when he runs out against the unbeaten Stormers in Cape Town on Saturday night.

The 33-year-old lock has been a tower of strength at the Force since switching from Queensland at the end of 2005 - a move that angered many Reds fans.

Sharpe has no regrets about that decision to jump ship but desperately wants to taste team success before he retires from Super Rugby ranks at the end of next season.

"That (switching from Queensland to the Force) was a difficult time of my life but it's definitely a move I don't regret," Sharpe said.

"I've got extremely fond memories of playing in Queensland but I've got fond memories of playing at the Force as well.

"Getting the organisation off the ground from scratch - I had a great experience with it.

"Some of the wins we've had have been great but I'd ideally want to win a championship before I hang the boots up."

Sharpe, one of the most durable players for the Force and the Wallabies, said he was still getting as much enjoyment out of the game than when he first started back in 1998.

"On the weekend when a couple of guys made their debuts for the Force - I was really happy to be a part of it," he said.

"That's one of the most enjoyable things about having played so many games, you can experience those sorts of moments."

The unbeaten Stormers are the form team of the competition, with their 23-13 win over the powerful Bulls last week underlining their title credentials.

The Force have named an unchanged line-up from the team that beat the Lions 27-15 last week, with James O'Connor again turning out at five-eighth as Willie Ripia struggles to shake off a niggling foot complaint.

Sharpe said upcoming games against the Stormers, Rebels (home), Waratahs (home) and Brumbies (away) would go a long way to determining the Force's finals credentials.

"I think we'll get a pretty good idea over the next four weeks about how we're tracking," Sharpe said.

"It's getting to a period of the season where teams are going to push away or get left behind.

"This weekend is a particularly important game.

"It's always a good test to play against the teams in good form."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...25/3173616.htm

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    Sharpe has no regrets about that decision to jump ship but desperately wants to taste team success before he retires from Super Rugby ranks at the end of next season.
    Is this offiical or just more journalistic license?

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I think he has indicated an intention to re-sign with the Force for 2012 and presumably that year, or if we are super lucky 2013, he'll retire.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    "Some of the wins we've had have been great but I'd ideally want to win a championship before I hang the boots up."
    Well Sharpie, no-one knows the future so my advice would be to get it done this year. This weekend would be a good place to start.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2