Thread: Nadolo looks to push on

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Nadolo looks to push on

Nadolo looks to push on

www.exeterchiefs.co.uk

Nemani Nadolo says he is settling in well to life at Sandy Park, but insists Exeter Chiefs fans have yet to see the best of him.

The imposing Fijian winger made his first start in the Aviva Premiership during last Sunday's 30-9 home win over Northampton Saints - and he played his part in the club's eighth top flight win as he helped set up compatriot Sireli Naqelevuki for one of Exeter's three tries on the day.

It was, according to the man himself, an encouraging initial outing and one that he is keen to savour again in the future as the Chiefs look to build on what has been an impressive debut campaign in the Premiership.

"It was good to start on Sunday," said the 23-year-old. "I was a little bit nervous ahead of the game, but once I got out on the field the initial butterflies went and I really enjoyed myself. The atmosphere for the game - and the one the week before [against Bath] - was just unreal."

Having come up against the Chiefs earlier in the season when he was with former Top 14 French club Bourgoin, Nadolo says his January switch across the Channel has already proved the correct decision.

"Obviously it's a lot different to back home in Australia, but myself and the missus are really enjoying it," he says. "Everybody over here has been so welcoming and really friendly. I'll admit it was tough for me in France, especially the language barrier and that, but here everyone just seems rugby fanatics. Coming from Australia all you here about in terms of England is football and Manchester United, Chelsea, things like that, so it's good to know that there are at least some parts of England that are rugby mad."

With three first appearances already accrued for the Chiefs, Nadolo is now hoping to use the short break in fixtures to hone his fitness even further and make sure he is in tip-top condition for when Rob Baxter's side return to Premiership action against London Irish on Saturday, March 26.

"I wasn't in the best shape when I arrived," admitted Nadolo "But already the work I've done with Paddy [Anson] and the other fitness guys has helped me out. They've got my game up, but I know there is still a way to go. I've just got to keep training hard, do what the coaches want me to do, and see how it goes. If Rob and Ali pick me again then I will take it with both hands, but if I don't it's always another lesson and I know I will have room to improve."

Already though Exeter supporters have been given an insight into the potential destruction Nadolo can cause on opposition defences. A hat-trick in the A League win over London Wasps was one reminder, whilst the skills he showed in the build-up to Naqelevuki's latest touchdown also had the masses rejoicing come the final whistle.

At 21-stone, however, Nadolo hopes to use his physical presence to deadly effect between now and the end of the season.

"I knew English rugby was going to be physical, but this is probably the strongest competition I've played in," said Nadolo, who has also featured for Super Rugby franchise the Waratahs in the past. "Each country has different styles of playing the game, but it's real physical over here. I came off on Sunday and felt a little bit sore in a few places, but that's what you expect.

"Before I came here I was reading in France that Exeter were expected to come up and go straight back down again, so to now be four points off fourth place is pretty impressive. I am still quite gobsmacked when people say we were only a Championship side last season, but until you come into this environment and see the work that is done - both on and off the field - the whole place is just quality.

"Our aim now is just to keep pushing on through to the end of the season and working towards that top end. I'm not saying we're going to reach the grand final or anything, but we've come this far and now we just want to finish off and see what we can do."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Good luck with what you are doing Ratu.

But if you said all that, then I'm a Dutchman.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Maybe he is catching up after France and has found his inner orator

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.