Thread: Pocock injury causes Force reshuffle

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash

Pocock injury causes Force reshuffle

This bit confuses me. In the story, it is written "with Richard Brown lining up at blindside flanker". Accompanying picture has the caption "Richard Brown (left) will start at openside flanker for the Force". Excuse me, AAP! Which position will he actually start?

Western Force coach Richard Graham was able to name an all-Wallabies back row despite losing star flanker David Pocock for Saturday's home Super Rugby clash with the Blues.

With Pocock likely to miss six weeks with a knee injury, Matt Hodgson will take over his number seven jersey with Richard Brown lining up at blindside flanker and Ben McCalman moving from the second row to number eight.

Young lock Sam Wykes takes McCalman's spot next to skipper Nathan Sharpe in the second row.

"We take confidence in that we can bring Ben back from the second row into the back row and are able to maintain proven quality personnel in that area," Graham explained.

"I thought Sam was outstanding last week ... there certainly has been plenty of positive feedback about his performance and I think he clearly demonstrated why we were so keen to re-sign him for a further two years."

In the backline, Nick Cummins will be given a start at outside centre to fill the gap left by Mitch Inman (elbow injury) while Alfie Mafi will start on the wing after twice coming off the bench.

The reshuffle across the park will put even more responsibility on the Force's playmakers, fly half James O'Connor and inside centre Gene Fairbanks, but coach Graham is confident they can handle it.

"We'll use Gene at first receiver at times while James will rotate through to full-back, we've got the flexibility so we want to utilise that," he said.

"They've both played different roles at various times this year and this week our intention is to formalise it a bit more.

"(The Blues) certainly have a strong squad ... they philosophically play a very attacking game and have done so in the opening weeks.

"We need to be mindful of their runners and be strong in our one on one defence."

Western Force: Cameron Shepherd, Alfie Mafi, Nick Cummins, Gene Fairbanks, David Smith, James O'Connor, Brett Sheehan, Ben McCalman, Matt Hodgson, Richard Brown, Nathan Sharpe (c), Sam Wykes, Tim Fairbrother, Ben Whittaker, Pek Cowan. Res: Nathan Charles, Matt Dunning, Tevita Metuisela, Jono Jenkins, James Stannard, Matt Brandon, Pat Dellit.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...10/3160671.htm

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Bench a bit "raw" but I real;ly like the starting line up, cummings at outside centre and speedy Maafi on the wing, I am excited.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    I like the cullet move to outside centre. My expectations of him arent too high and just hope he has a good game. he might make some mistakes reading the blues attack but it will be all part of the learning curve. If hes rock solid in defense then that would be a great outcome against a formidable backline.

vCash
    As long as he's got a worker and talker inside him, defense won't be too much of a problem. He showed last week that he's comfortable pushing his opponent out and smashing him from the inside, if the inside men don't get lazy, you could afford to slide 2 men on the outside.

I'd be hoping more that he doesn't stuff up the attacking calls, that's the bit where we're more fragile ATM

C'mon the