Thread: Force ready to spring O'Connor surprise on Blues

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Force ready to spring O'Connor surprise on Blues

Wayne Smith From: The Australian March 10, 2011 12:00AM

THE Western Force will attempt to take the Blues out of their comfort zone on Saturday.

The Force plans to regularly switch James O'Connor back to fullback in the Super Rugby clash in Perth.

While indications are that O'Connor still will be wearing the No 10 jersey and running a lot of the set-piece plays from five-eighth, informed sources have told The Australian the versatile Wallabies backline utility will feature prominently during the game, running the ball up from fullback, with Gene Fairbanks slipping in to first receiver.

What made O'Connor so dangerous for the Wallabies last year was that he was able to pick his moments to swoop into the attack, generally on the receiving end of passes from Quade Cooper or Kurtley Beale.

As composed as he has been at five-eighth this year, he has been too easily spotted by defences and Force coach Richard Graham clearly is hoping his side's attack will be less predictable with O'Connor dramatically injecting himself into the play when least expected.

The loss of Test flanker David Pocock for the next month with knee ligament damage is a devastating setback for the Force.

But the dynamic form of Sam Wykes against the Sharks at least gives the Force confidence he can form a solid lock pairing with Nathan Sharpe, freeing Test number eight Ben McCalman to resume duty as a backrower.

The Force, meanwhile, has resigned itself to being without outside centre Mitch Inman for six weeks while he recovers from a dislocated elbow, before losing him permanently next season when he joins up with his former Sydney Uni coach Damian Hill at the Melbourne Rebels.

Inman has not yet confirmed the move but Force sources have told The Australian it is a done deal.

If so, it is a serious blow for the Force but a significant gain for the Rebels and a strong indicator the Melbourne franchise already is preparing for life after Stirling Mortlock.

There is no question Melbourne needs to inject some zip into its ball-in-hand game. Already this season the Rebels have made 534 tackles in just three matches, a total exceeded only by the Bulls (565).

Rebels coach Rod Macqueen quipped that the huge tackle count -- effectively double that of the Brumbies (279) -- was a good statistic. "Last year the Bulls made the most tackles and they won the title, so you could argue it's a good key performance indicator," he said.

Levity aside, Macqueen conceded the Rebels needed more ball, not only to ease the pressure on their defensive line but to start working on the shape of their game.

So little attack have the Rebels managed that Macqueen still doesn't know what he doesn't know about his side's offensive game. If tomorrow's clash with the Sharks at The Stockade is to enlighten him, the Rebels will need to seriously improve their set pieces.

Certainly Macqueen is well aware how formidable the Sharks are at scrum time, having attempted, unsuccessfully, to recruit the du Plessis brothers, hooker Bismarck and loosehead Jannie, both Springboks.

Much as the Sharks have deplored what they saw as the excessive physicality of the Force last weekend, they are the benchmark team in terms of legitimate aggression and Macqueen knows there can be no shirking the battle up front.

"You don't run around teams like the Sharks," he said. "You've got to confront them."

All Blacks hard man Brad Thorn has been stood down to the Crusaders bench for tomorrow's clash against the Brumbies, but there is nothing in this to encourage the ACT, with another craggy Test veteran, Chris Jack, named in Thorn's place for his 100th match for the Canterbury-based club.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226018676043

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    inman gone

somebody throw the kitchen sink at AAC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Haji View Post
    inman gone

somebody throw the kitchen sink at AAC.
    Is that official??

vCash
    Woah woah, Inman confirmed leaving?! What did I miss over the weekend!

I should finish reading teh article before commenting.

Last edited by robyn <3; 09-03-11 at 21:42. Reason: derrrppp

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    It's Wayne smith people. The quote is "Force sources have told the Australian it's a done deal" does that sound like ass talking to you?

I'd like to know who the source was.....let's face it, upon some level, I could be termed a Force source......and in that capacity, i'd like to tell the Australian that nothing's signed yet.

I'm at least as credible as the guy emptying the rubbish bins who Wayne offered twenty bucks to say that.

Why the hell do you think there's no quote from the rebels crowing about their new, desperately needed signing?

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    It's not the end of the world. He'd be great to keep but there are other options out there.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I'm still tipping Quade for 10 next year.

vCash
    Please let us find a quality experienced 10 soon.

vCash
    Any word yet who will be at 13? Cummins at 13, Mafi at 14?

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    I'm still tipping Quade for 10 next year.
    You have to wonder don't you. All those people who said Quade would be better served sticking with the Reds who were on the up and up and playing exciting rugby might think again after the start they've had. Credit to them for the two wins they have but the tactics and game plan haven't done Cooper any favours.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    If he is off, i'd like a trade for Huxley. But i'm guessing they wont give him up.

The article doesn't have a source for this claim though, so i wouldn't be too sure. (Force sources...that could be anything dodgey)

vCash
    The headline is all wrong; It should read:

"Rebels ready to spring Inman surprise on Force"

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post

Force ready to spring O'Connor surprise on Blues

Wayne Smith From: The Australian March 10, 2011 12:00AM

THE Western Force will attempt to take the Blues out of their comfort zone on Saturday.

The Force plans to regularly switch James O'Connor back to fullback in the Super Rugby clash in Perth.
    Well it's not a surprise now is it thanks Wayne...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I'd like to know who the source was.....
    I'm tipping the Coach, CEO and Chairman would too!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.